Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Week Ago   #6856
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Beef liver no calves liver yes.
Contrary to popular belief the liver is not a storage place for toxins.
The person that told me it was a toxin storage place told me corn had no nutrients.
Both are a myth.
Which brings me back to real authentic tacos and tortillas which traditionally were made with corn not flour.
Flour tortillas are a product of Spain and folks from the middle east AKA flat bread.
Now who might you think may have introduced that to what is now called Spain right after they invaded the place and was in control for about 900 years until the recoquista of which the last battles were fought in 1492.
It is a possibility to consider.
So when I speak of tacos and tortillas I speak of them before the Spanish influence of the Americas.

Worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #6857
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The person that told me it was a toxin storage place told me corn had no nutrients.
Both are a myth.
Which brings me back to real authentic tacos and tortillas which traditionally were made with corn not flour.
Flour tortillas are a product of Spain and folks from the middle east AKA flat bread.
Now who might you think may have introduced that to what is now called Spain right after they invaded the place and was in control for about 900 years until the recoquista of which the last battles were fought in 1492.
It is a possibility to consider.
So when I speak of tacos and tortillas I speak of them before the Spanish influence of the Americas.

Worth

Corn or flour doesn't make a taco more or less "real authentic tacos".

Yes, maize was used at first in the Mayan or Aztec cultures (depending on what one chooses to believe) sometimes mixed with honey or squash, or made from ground amaranth. The maize in use then was pretty different than the corn varieties we know today, too. Wheat and thus flour, came with the Spaniards and became absorbed into the various cultures cuisines.

To say one or the other is the "real authentic taco" is sort of insulting to that culture who made it into part of the vast culinary history of those peoples. That is similar to saying a tamale MUST be in a corn husk to be called a "real" tamale, thus ignoring banana leaf tamales too.

Various areas and people have different ways to prepare food from northern Mexico to South America (and else where, too). People in Peru make tacos very differently than Americans, as do the Mexican people make different tacos from one coast to the other and in differing regions in between.

Cheap eating was a breakfast taco this morning, scrambled egg, cheese, tomato, avocado and onion with a dab of left over sausage patty chopped up in a flour tortilla. A dab of salsa and it was yummy.

Last edited by imp; 1 Week Ago at 07:50 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6858
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Yep!!!!!!!. Our daughter loves potato tacos. They have no taste in my opinion. I prefer tongue tacos. We have a few tacqueria's in our little city which serve both in either flour or corn tortillas. My favorite tacqueria is owned by a man and wife from Mexico and they make their tacos the same way they made then back in Mexico.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6859
bower
Tomatovillian™

I had chicken livers.. I don't bother with beef liver because it's so easy to make it tough. I think every family must have at least one person who absolutely refuses to eat liver. For us it was my mom. Dad would cook it, and he always stressed that it was a very healthy meal, full of iron, LOL, and Mom would fuss about complaining of the smell and/or leave the house. Yes it was cheap eaten too, for our family. We learned to like it.
Chicken liver with lots of onions is delicious to me... the main thing is to fry it until any wet juices have evaporated and the pan is just oily. I do like it with mashed potatoes too.
The best thing I've ever eaten made of liver was Piroshki made by a Russian chef. She gave me the recipe, I do make it but not often. There is very little liver involved actually, the fried bread part is what makes it so scrumptious.
I am so hungry at the mo, just waiting for a slice of pizza to be ready...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6860
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I had chicken livers.. I don't bother with beef liver because it's so easy to make it tough. I think every family must have at least one person who absolutely refuses to eat liver. For us it was my mom. Dad would cook it, and he always stressed that it was a very healthy meal, full of iron, LOL, and Mom would fuss about complaining of the smell and/or leave the house. Yes it was cheap eaten too, for our family. We learned to like it.
Chicken liver with lots of onions is delicious to me... the main thing is to fry it until any wet juices have evaporated and the pan is just oily. I do like it with mashed potatoes too.
The best thing I've ever eaten made of liver was Piroshki made by a Russian chef. She gave me the recipe, I do make it but not often. There is very little liver involved actually, the fried bread part is what makes it so scrumptious.
I am so hungry at the mo, just waiting for a slice of pizza to be ready...
I have made/cooked liver and fed it to people that hate liver and they love it and dont know they ate liver.
I showed my mother how to cook liver ((my way)) and she was flabbergasted as to how good it was.
Must have been around 14 at the time.
Spent my life reading cook books and studying food from the time I was a wee thing.
Much of the time I spend reading the origins of food and the Colombian exchange with food and culture.

Worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #6861
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I was recently browsing the meat isle in a grocery store. I found a "tube" of what looked like a liver pate in a plastic tube with the metal clips sealing the ends of the tube. I don't remember the name of the product, but it was German or Polish sounding. I bought one tube because it looked interesting. I had no idea how to prepare it or eat it correctly. I cut slices of it still in the tube and fried the slices after removing the plastic. I cooked some in the oven. I spread some on crackers. I couldn't find a way to prepare it that it didn't taste like raw liver. I tossed about half of the tube in the trash. It probably was just catfish bait, but I couldn't tell.

After doing a little research, it may have been "Stiglmeier Bayerische Leberwurst".

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Week Ago at 08:07 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6862
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I was recently browsing the meat isle in a grocery store. I found a "tube" of what looked like a liver pate in a plastic tube with the metal clips sealing the ends of the tube. I don't remember the name of the product, but it was German or Polish sounding. I bought one tube because it looked interesting. I had no idea how to prepare it or eat it correctly. I cut slices of it still in the tube and fried the slices after removing the plastic. I cooked some in the oven. I spread some on crackers. I couldn't find a way to prepare it that it didn't taste like raw liver. I tossed about half of the tube in the trash. It probably was just catfish bait, but I couldn't tell.

After doing a little research, it may have been "Stiglmeier Bayerische Leberwurst".
Liverwurst ate it all my life on sandwiches with onion.
NOT cooked.

worth
Old 1 Week Ago   #6863
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Liverwurst ate it all my life on sandwiches with onion.
NOT cooked.

worth

I've eaten Oscar Myer liver wurst on wheat toast all my life with sliced onion and occasionally spicy mustard. The liverwurst in the plastic tube tasted totally different and my taste buds totally rejected it.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6864
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Ever heard of livermush? I don't like liver, but I ate lots of livermush growing up in western NC.

https://www.eater.com/2016/9/16/1292...north-carolina

https://www.southernliving.com/livermush
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6865
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensaplenty View Post
Ever heard of livermush? I don't like liver, but I ate lots of livermush growing up in western NC.

https://www.eater.com/2016/9/16/1292...north-carolina

https://www.southernliving.com/livermush

I've never eaten a liver mush sandwich, but I've always wanted to. That was basically the direction I was headed when I tried frying slices of the liverwurst. It didn't have any cornmeal in it so it didn't cook the way I wanted it to.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6866
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My dad loved liver dumpling soup. He & I were the only ones in the family who liked liver, so we'd share it.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6867
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I too have trouble with organ meat. I know it's healthy and probably very tasty, but it's a mental thing I am yet to overcome and have no desire to challenge it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6868
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Both are a myth.

Worth
Calf liver does taste better than beef liver.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to think about where our food comes from. That shouldn't be a surprise if you all have read anything I have written.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; 1 Week Ago at 10:44 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6869
imp
Tomatovillian™

Though there are some organ meats I can eat and some I enjoy, like good fried chicken gizzards, liver makes me ill. I had some one sneak in some liver into the ground seasoned meat stuffed into pasta and spent almost 3 days in the hospital, thanks to some one who thought they were funny or smart enough or whatever reason to knowingly feed me any amount of liver after being informed I did not eat liver. I was so sick, there was some concern over damage to my esophagus for a bit. This was in the 70's, and hopefully will never happen again.

To this day, I keep plastic between my hands and liver when I buy a whole chicken, when I throw the liver out.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6870
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Much of the time I spend reading the origins of food and the Colombian exchange with food and culture.

Worth

I'm glad you posted that, it reminded me to find a recipe I've looked for a few times but couldn't find it. Back in the early 80's when I went to Spain straight out of the swamp there was a bar with a pool in the back that served food. They had probably the best BLT's I've ever had. I don't know if it was because I missed home cooking or the quality meat they had there. I remember seeing shops with meat curing hanging from rafters. I regret not taking more interest in those shops now that I know what I'm missing.

Back on topic....

On the side walk in front of the bar were a few vendors selling street food. My favorite was pinchitos. I goggled it a few years ago and didn't find anything, I probably spelled it wrong. I looked again a few minutes ago and nothing so I goggled street food in Greece thinking maybe it was there and found Pinchos and that's it. If you goggle Pinchos you'll find it's all over with a long history.

I've only had the chicken version and loved it but here's a recipe I found with history and comments from places I've been to in Spain. Those locations in Spain brought back some good memories. I wish I could go back with what I know now. I enjoyed my time there and experienced so many things and had a blast with the local culture.

http://spanishsabores.com/2015/01/30...nchos-morunos/