Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 27, 2016   #106
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Raygun you seem to be forgetting the capital investment made in the lathe and tooling. Most shops get $100.00 plus an hour for machine time. You would be getting a product that you can't buy anywhere else. I think $10.00 plus shipping would be a fair price.
That is what I was thinking.

I had a friend that taught me a very good lesson on welding and work.
He wouldn't start his TIG up for less than about $70.00 then it was 35 dollars an hour after that.
He showed me how to TIG weld and he worked in a machine shop.
When I bought my TIG welder I had so called good friends crawling out of the wood work.
One bought me the regulators and the argon tank for the work I did for him.
Others wanted a free ride.

What I am asking here is for a few people to try this and see how they like it.'
Then in turn give an honest review of it here so people will know.
Once this is done I can make jigs so they are all exactly the same even though some of these variations from one to the next dont add up to a hill of beans.

Right now all I am asking is compensation for the shipping and a complementary gift so to speak ((after)) the use of it.
I think that is only fair for me and the person that will be using it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #107
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
You may as well stay home and make gun parts till after the election, the oil field is dead here and the economy doesn't have a chance. You'll probably get stressed out again looking for a job when they offer you pennies for your talent and skills.
I am a NICET certified fire alarm tech.
National Institute of Engineering Technologists
All I have to do is make a call and go to work for an ungodly amount of money programing and running jobs.
People are waiting on me.

Worth
Old June 27, 2016   #108
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

whistech I'm aware of all of that. I spent over 30 years working in mechanic shops and know the value of having a machinist on site. I even had a few build me some cool toys. This is an experiment that can't even get on the main stream market, MG lawyers would have a field day.
Think of it as a brother-n-law deal. Worth is playing with his new toy while gaining experience on the lathe. We're all friends here and just trying to grow stuff.

And Worth, I have no doubt that you are my brother from a different mother. I have that same mentality that nothing is impossible and I can always find a better way or find and adapt a tool to make the job easier. I'm good friends with Jerry.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #109
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
whistech I'm aware of all of that. I spent over 30 years working in mechanic shops and know the value of having a machinist on site. I even had a few build me some cool toys. This is an experiment that can't even get on the main stream market, MG lawyers would have a field day.
Think of it as a brother-n-law deal. Worth is playing with his new toy while gaining experience on the lathe. We're all friends here and just trying to grow stuff.

And Worth, I have no doubt that you are my brother from a different mother. I have that same mentality that nothing is impossible and I can always find a better way or find and adapt a tool to make the job easier. I'm good friends with Jerry.
Read my last post or two you will be surprised at what I have done for a living the last 28 years or so.

I think there is a way around the MG thing if I play my cards right and still go main stream.
What ever those critters want to do to foil me I can find a way to get around it.

Worth
Old June 27, 2016   #110
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice Worth, I hope you find a job that makes you happy. I burnt myself out working too much owning my business and don't have a clue when I'll go back to work. I'm too young to retire but I am and not regretting it but I know I need to do something to keep me active.
Old June 27, 2016   #111
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I saw that, you posted as I was writing. I'm in and out getting settled in for the night.
Old June 27, 2016   #112
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice Worth, I hope you find a job that makes you happy. I burnt myself out working too much owning my business and don't have a clue when I'll go back to work. I'm too young to retire but I am and not regretting it but I know I need to do something to keep me active.
Right before I left to go to work in Alaska I had a woman walk up to me in a restaurant.
She was the owner or manager.
I was inspecting the safety systems.
She had been yelling at her people all day and I mean yelling.
You GD MFers better this and that.
Then it was the delivery guy.
You GD MF er and so on.
Then she came up to me.
You GD MFer.
I said B%^&$ you better back off or I will pack up and leave and you cant open so F you.
If you continue to call me these names I will slap your %^$ back so hard you wont be able to get up.
Now get the hell out of here so people can work.
Her eyes got as big as saucers and slithered off into her rat hole she came out of.

I had one lady call on the phone cussing me and calling me names, some young girl that didn't even know me.

I said here is the deal.
I am going to hang up and you will call me back you will speak to me in a manner which is acceptable in polite company.
If you dont I will simply hang up again, do you understand.
Yes sir.
And I hung up and she called back and spoke to me in a polite manner.

I am not looking forward to this again.

Worth
Old June 27, 2016   #113
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I understand where you're coming from. I owned a commercial repair business and when the manager would act like I was bothering them to make a repair they called in, I found more stuff to fix and called corporate to report it and they would OK the repairs. The store would get charged for the repairs from corporate and next time I went for repairs they were polite and didn't make me wait.
Old June 28, 2016   #114
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
The one on the left I am still using to mix up just gallons. It says 26 directly under the cap. I figured i would grab that since it was just sitting there.

Now the one on the right says 35 under the cap.

I have all the others as well. However Cathy hide them on me. We have new windows and a white roof coating going on. So god only knows where the other bottles are.

Anyway I wont be able to get to them today. I am leaving for Maryland in a bit. I will need to come back and post the rest of the numbers when I get back. I will pop the caps on the bottles i used then. So no problem getting those numbers as well.

Worth i see you are thinking that different bottles have different rates. So we will nail that down some.

If we get pictures of the different bottle labels and the #'s that would help identify the flow rate better. Yes???

I just saw a quoted the wrong person yes that is what I am thinking.
Regretfully I tossed all of my bottles before this wild idea came around.

You have a PM.

Worth
Old June 28, 2016   #115
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. I owned a commercial repair business and when the manager would act like I was bothering them to make a repair they called in, I found more stuff to fix and called corporate to report it and they would OK the repairs. The store would get charged for the repairs from corporate and next time I went for repairs they were polite and didn't make me wait.
I used to have the freedom to charge what I wanted to who I wanted.
I had a guy ask me what I was going to charge everyone that day so he could put it on his time sheet.
I told him it goes on a scale of time and who is the nicest person to the meanest.
It costs money to be a jerk.

You have a PM.

Worth
Old June 30, 2016   #116
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay guys you know who you are.
I said I would get them out yesterday but I got involved in the shop in the morning and the next thing I knew it was all most midnight.
So they are out today and on their way.
The postage was like a little over $3.00 for each package so dont worry about it.
If a stinging scorpion is in one of the tubes I didn't put it there.

Worth
Old June 30, 2016   #117
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's my system now. I am pleased. Unfortunately I had to spend a bunch on unused parts and some of the parts I did buy were very expensive, but now I won't have to hand water or fertilize which is a huge help since I have 150 plants in this patch.

As you can see, I have 5 gal buckets connected to the MiracleGro feeders. In this setup I have the Hydro-Gardens 4-18-38 + MgSO4 in one bucket and the CaNO3 in the other. I can add other stuff if I choose to. The junk on top of the buckets is just to try and keep the fertilizer from boiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160630_124855.jpg (439.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_124805.jpg (476.0 KB, 34 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #118
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salsa here is an example of not having to use all of those fittings.
I turned 0.016 off the outside diameter of the 3/4 and it fits like a glove inside the 1 inch.
It took all of six minutes to make from setup work and finish.
Including taking the pictuer.

I am happy the system is working for you.
Worth
IMG_20160630_19138.jpg
Old July 1, 2016   #119
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Okay guys you know who you are.
I said I would get them out yesterday but I got involved in the shop in the morning and the next thing I knew it was all most midnight.
So they are out today and on their way.
The postage was like a little over $3.00 for each package so dont worry about it.
If a stinging scorpion is in one of the tubes I didn't put it there.

Worth
This is great news and of course above and beyond is your MO. Pm when you need something & I will make it happen.

Now...
My lord, my Son was stung by a Bark Scorpion in the back yard of his North Dallas home. He says he was pretty sick for a couple days.

They would make great large mouth bait!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #120
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Change in MG Feeding Rate

Holy Cow!

After I had my new feeder system running for just 6 waterings of 30 minutes each it took 4 gallons of Calcium Nitrate and 2 gallons of 4-18-38! I'm wondering if the extra pressure on the orifice from having 5 gallon buckets 7 ft above the feeders is forcing more concentrate into the feeder than the factory bottles. I was expecting to use only about 3 pints each of the concentrates.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote