Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old October 5, 2017   #1
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Default Arugula as Edible Lawn?

My lawn is already a collection of weeds with the occasional sprigs of grass here and there so I came up with the idea of seeding the lawn arugula in hopes that it will overwinter here in NY and strat providing greens next spring. How feasible is it to seed now and have the seedlings overwinter? I guess I could wait until next spring as well. Also, I could not find wild arugula in bulk so settled for a 1lb bag or seeds that were meant to be sprouts/microgreens. Does one variety overwinter better than others??

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

For a minute, I thought I'd logged into the chicken forum by mistake. Arugula as an edible lawn sounds amazing, and I'd probably be fighting them for it come the summer Somehow I don't think it would overwinter around here though

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #3
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

It does overwinter on this coast and then provides some fairly early blooms for hummingbirds. Not much for humans to eat of it in the spring though unless you also like the nutty tasting flowers.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If grass won't grow there, I'm not sure that arugula would either. Is there something wrong with the soil? is there light?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE the taste of those nutty Arugula flowers

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #6
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Not likely to survive NY winter although they do love cool weather. And it might also be too late to start now before they can establish themselves before the cold set in. On the other hand, you have a lot of seeds, why not just try a handful? I have the same problem with my lawn, so I broad cast some mustard seeds, they sprouted and are at first true-leaf stage.
Even for our milder winter, in my garden, I am debating if it is too late to seed now under plastic. I absolutely love the taste of arugula but have not found the perfect variety yet. I have "Astro" and another common one, growing in the garden now. Not the best.

I just ordered three varieties to try: "Wildfire", "voyager" and "Speedy". Some will be under plastic outside , some indoors in salad containers.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Haven't tried with arugula, but some kales will overwinter here, but that is established plants, not seedlings. My guess, it is a bit late to start with that hope in mind.

The whole family of brassica greens are incredible for self seeding. My mom has a mixed bed every spring, just growing themselves.
So tell me, when you have an arugula lawn, will you be expected to mow it?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2017   #8
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

You are going to be the most popular yard in miles with the Bunnies, lol!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote