Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 28, 2014   #1
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default New zucchini seedling is looking sick and I don't know why...

About a week or so we planted a new zucchini seedling in our city pickers container.. We totally replaced the potting mix and bought a new mulch cover. My husband washed/rinsed out the container before we replanted. And this time learning from last years mistakes we only put one plant in (powdery mildew hit us hard last year. And it was our first time growing any veggies.)

This plant had been growing really well for a few days in our kitchen window before we planted, even grew some flower buds... And initially it looked like it loved the box. But now it's got wilting leaves and aside from what might he holes from something eating it on one leaf I cannot see why...I see no powdery mildew like last year. I'm confused not all leaves that are wilting look eaten either.

We did as we did last time which was fill box up till 2inches below top. Thin later of dolomite, dug two, two inch deep trenches either side of where the pant was to be placed and buried fertilizer in the trenches. I don't think my husband disturbed the fertilizer?

There are pictures of the plant...I'm hoping someone more experienced might be able to help me recognize what the problem is?
I don't know how to add pictures to the thread...how do you do that?
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like it has transplant shock. Squashes don't particularly like to be transplanted. It sounds like it might have been a little root bound in the inside container and definitely old if it was starting to flower. I'd be hesitant to transplant a squash the was more than two weeks old at the max and would expect it to suffer a big set back.

My gut call is to shade it and really watch that it doesn't dry out nor remain too wet for too long. I tend to remove leaves on a plant that is likely experience transplant shock. I just don't know how that translates to a squash plant.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #3
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Doug, sorry for the late reply.

I did not prune any leaves as you said you didn't know if I should and just made sure it was watered. I haven't had a chance to tend to my seedling for a couple of days because my dear husband has been hogging veggie patch duties (one gets to go out and water etc and the other has to wrangle a toddler. But he said its perked up finally and this evening it had a yellow flower. So I'm taking this as a good sign that it shall live and grow fruit and that you were right
Thank you
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaves wilting and dying , so cal , zucchini