Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2015   #1
loudog
Tomatovillian™

Default Fellow Ohioians

How are your gardens coping with all the rain? I have septoria on the tom's lost some cabbages, some of the pea pods are damaged and the weeds want to take over. only had a couple days without rain the last 3 weeks ,10 days ago we had 6 inches in one day and this past Friday through Sat afternoon got another 4 3/4 inches and the forecast doesn't look very favorable.
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

My giant watermelons are in a raised bed and doing fine. The tomatoes are at ground level and suffering. I cant even get out there to work on them without sinking down. I dont think we have had near the rain you have and its still a mess.
Old June 29, 2015   #3
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

I just read that June 2015 has been one of the top 10 wettest on record here for Ohio in 130 years of record keeping with 7.52 inches of rain recorded at the Akron / Canton Airport and is the 7th wettest on record with more rain and below average temperatures still expected although the cooler temps have not helped the humidity any. The wettest ever was 11.2 inches back in 1924. I know my friends in the Cincinnati / Dayton area are getting hit hard by the rain as well in the other corner of the state . It sure makes it hard to get things done in the garden,

Last edited by silverseed; June 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #4
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it's been tough up this way also. I'm trying to keep my tomato plants sprayed, alternating with copper and daconil, but it's been tough. So far things are hanging in there with only a few spots on leaves here and there, which I remove as soon as I find them. So far my plants are pretty healthy, but not sure I will be able to maintain this if it keeps on raining and the temps staying cool. Have to wait and see, and take what comes.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Not a buckeye but just on the other side of the river. (The pic in my avatar is looking across the Ohio river from our farm) We are also getting plenty of rain. Trying to alternate spraying between copper & daconil myself. I've had some EB problems but overall not bad just yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. We have harvested tomatoes earlier this year than ever before. A grand total of 6 so far. But the plants are almost 6ft. tall now and loaded.
One thing I have noticed is the cherry (Sweet 100, Juliet & Indigo Rose)plants I'm growing have yet to turn on. Normally we get plenty of these way before the large varieties but not this year. We have only gotten maybe 3 or 4 total fruits. Most plants were planted within a few days of one another. Weird..... huh...
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #6
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

Just heard on my local radio station that there is serious concern over the states corn crop, they said a lot of farmers had their corn washed out and the soil may not dry out in time for replanting, also they said corn that is doing o.k now may still be in danger from root rot later in the season. Not looking good state wide I guess. P.S Wildcat 62 that pic in your avatar reminds me of the Ohio River down near Rabbit Hash, KY.

Last edited by silverseed; June 29, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #7
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Wildcat--I can't relate to having ripe tomato's at the end of June. I don't usually get my first ripe fruit till the first week in August. Your summer weather is about 3 weeks ahead of my location, but another reason for the first week in August is cause I always plant later maturing (nothing earlier than 72 days) varieties.

Dan

Last edited by Yak54; June 29, 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old June 29, 2015   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We live close to Akron/ Canton area and I can tell you we have had at least 10 inches of rain here. On the weekend of fathers day we had over 6 inches from Sat afternoon to Sunday night.
The corn fields are yellow in some areas. Some soybeans are covered in mud from flooding. It depends on the lay of the field and how much drainage they have. The farmer across the road from us has a 1 acre area that has been flooded continuously this month and there is nothing left in the area of it. IF the county would actually clean the ditch along the road (instead of only 1/2 of it after the 6" weekend rain, of which we had 4 inches of that in 40 minutes) his field would look much different than it does. My husband is working on a motel job site in Medina and the OSB is starting to swell and it looks terrible. The rains just haven't let up. Almost every day it has rained some amount of precipitation. He hasn't worked to speak of in the last 10 days and the rest of the week doesn't look promising either. Now, my garden looks fabulous. I put ground cover down between the rows and the weeds have been kept at bay. The wind has been more annoying than any other year ever for me. I am constantly pegging it back down. Yesterday I was throwing shovel fulls of soil on it to keep it in place.
Old June 30, 2015   #9
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

Ours are doing okay, but we've been spraying Daconil a little more frequently than normal with all this rain. A few signs of some minor early blight, but other than that they are doing great. We're about an hour south of Columbus. Our plants are planted on a slope, and are in plastic, in raised beds, so the water drains off pretty fast and they're not just sitting in it. We planted our first plants out on May 2, and then some more on May 14, and actually picked a ripe Spudakee and a ripe Liz Birt (both around 12 ounces) in the last 3 days from the May 14 plants. Way early, I know, not sure how to account for it, and we'll see how they taste (probably somewhat watery), but they look normal, and it looks like we're going to have a bunch more ripe ones over the next week.
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #10
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pics from about a week ago.

june24c.jpg

june24a.jpg

june24b.jpg
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #11
macbettz
Tomatovillian™

great looking plants! you can get lost in that tomato patch!
macbettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #12
BvBDortmund09
Tomatovillian™

Even though my peppers are in containers and have cover from the rain, I can attest to this crappy weather. I transplanted them early June and in a month they've barely grown because of cool temps and lack of sunlight. It's very frustrating. I'm hoping July-August are bright and sweltering hot.
BvBDortmund09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #13
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvBDortmund09 View Post
Even though my peppers are in containers and have cover from the rain, I can attest to this crappy weather. I transplanted them early June and in a month they've barely grown because of cool temps and lack of sunlight. It's very frustrating. I'm hoping July-August are bright and sweltering hot.
I'm on the same page as you !

Dan
Old July 1, 2015   #14
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvBDortmund09 View Post

See I don't know if it is just the rain and cooler temps, there was a semi cold snapa few weeks after I transplanted them around May 9th, or if not tilling the hard packed clay soil is limiting root growth. I would possibly dig out 8 of my 12 and till (4 of them seem to be doing fine) but the constant rain makes tilling impossible. I have to sew in amendments at the end of this year for sure.
Emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote