Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 17, 2022   #136
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2022   #137
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Just nice and beautiful as always, Amen to your hard work and Tomato passion. .
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2022   #138
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks
Old October 6, 2022   #139
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

I am cleaning my garden and I discovered this:

It tasted like a mango.
Old October 7, 2022   #140
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
congrats on your fantastic harvest. You must have been really working hard. I just wonder what you do with that many exotic toms.

The year in my garden was pretty good, too. I said was, not has been as it sort of finished in mid September. The weather got much colder and rainier and my until then excellent toms started cracking massively. And most of the cracks have been infected by common mold, so at the moment I'm getting lots of throwaways despite the fact that late blight hasn't turned up. The worst situation is with my beefsteak toms. Well, I am not really complaining as all my varieties were the best taste in the last 5 years before the summer ended. Nothing is perfect. And I've been getting compensation from my peppers: they were fantastic in terms of yield and ripening (at 570 meters above sea level in an open patch). It's worse now, but they are doing better than tomatoes. Strange.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2022   #141
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Hello Milan,
we eat, eat, and ate them. So many (more than 100 kg) tomatoes I have never eaten in my live.
Than - my peppers (lots), they were in the garden, not in the greenhouse - with them I cooked "Letscho" and preserved them. My celler is full - I have for the next 3 years Letscho.
Cracking - the Spanish ones didn't crack! At September all my tomatoes had an excellent taste.
I didn't get common mold - I gave in my pouring water lime. Than I do now on my soil wood ash.
Anneliese
Old October 8, 2022   #142
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on a great season! I have enjoyed learning from your photos
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2022   #143
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Same here. I mean the garage, pantry and store room full of jars. So far, I've harvested over 150 kilos of toms (55 plants) and there are many more still on the plants. All my neighbors like me as they were supplied with veggies from my garden. But just in the summer. I'm fed up with letcho and Serbian style dishes. Lycopene is dripping from pores all over the body. Last time I looked I saw lycopene and vitamins dropping out of my ears on miniature parachutes.
Now that the times seem to be getting harder, the preserved veggies (not only toms) may come in handy. Especially pickled cabbage, pepper, carrot and onions (in Czech čalamáda) is disappearing very fast this year. Yummy.

If it weren't for the terrible war, I'd be quite happy.
Milan HP
Old October 19, 2022   #144
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

post-ripened

Old October 22, 2022   #145
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

The End

Old October 23, 2022   #146
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

It is time now to hunt for seeds.
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2022   #147
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Not for me, I have still so many I can plant....
Old October 23, 2022   #148
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
they look like in mid-summer. How do you store them to get such beautiful toms? I.e. if I understand right - picked green and ripened indoors. Mine don't all look good, some of them (this year about 15%) go bad and aren't edible. The causes are varied: mostly cracks and probably also some fungal diseases, but not late blight. I was lucky this year and my non-resistant varieties prospered as well as the resistant ones.
However, the taste is getting worse with time. The weather this autumn hasn't been very favorable for their taste. Nevertheless, even now they are far tastier than most commercial toms. What do yours taste like?

Milan HP
Old October 23, 2022   #149
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

Hello Milan,
first: my tomatoes are in the greenhouse
but to grow in a greenhouse is difficult, because it is getting in it very hot.
I pick my tomatoes green. In the house I do them into a box and do an apple between the green tomatoes.
second: the varieties
Till now realy all Spanish kinds are getting so nice - and the taste is superb!
You know, that I planted a great number of tomato kinds. (about 5000)
no F1!!!
Anneliese
Old October 28, 2022   #150
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
you mean 5000 in your "growing history" I guess.
Otherwise it's exactly the way I try to make them ripen too. My goal is a bit different, though. I want them to ripen as slowly as possible so that I have tomatoes all year round. Last ripe tomatoes of the previous season can be eaten in March. And so can the first tomatoes of the current season, as I seed them in November and grow them at home. That's why I don't put any apples or bananas among them. And I keep them in low temperatures. I admit that there's usually a gap of 2 or 3 weeks. The taste isn't really anything to write home about, but they are better than those from a supermarket. They still taste like tomatoes, not polystyrene.But last year I left them inside the cottage and about 13 kilos got frozen some time in February. It mustn't happen this year (or rather next year).
Yes, I agree that glasshouses pose a problem or two. Excessive heat being one of them. There was a time when I was thinking about building one, heated by a heat pump and with all modern technology. So I put down my requirements on paper and started looking for a firm that could meet them. Came out totally empty handed - no-one was willing (or able) to build what I needed. So I had to solve the problem my way without a glasshouse. It seems to be working fine. My toms on the balcony are still alive and ripening (at 150 above the mean sea level as opposed to 570 where my garden is).
Best luck next year.
Milan HP

Last edited by Milan HP; October 28, 2022 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Correction