Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 22, 2017   #16
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

What keiper said. Brandy Boy in '16 and I didn't regrow in '17, gave the seeds away and didn't hear of any that germinated. I'm done with Brandy Boy.

I thought the taste was good, but a lot of misshapen fruit that doesn't slice well. Delicate fruit, even more so than most other pinks I've grown, and seemed to go mealy quick.

Big vigorous plant was easy to grow and very productive.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #17
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
What keiper said. Brandy Boy in '16 and I didn't regrow in '17, gave the seeds away and didn't hear of any that germinated. I'm done with Brandy Boy.

I thought the taste was good, but a lot of misshapen fruit that doesn't slice well. Delicate fruit, even more so than most other pinks I've grown, and seemed to go mealy quick.

Big vigorous plant was easy to grow and very productive.
I grew it for a few seasons and saw little or no gain than just growing BW. I have totally replaced it with Crnkovic Yugoslavian, I think the fruit is nicer and I like the taste too. I know you like them too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #18
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

I know this doesn't exactly fit the thread topic, but I picked a tomato starting to blush off what I thought was my black beauty plant. But there's no antho expression and it looks just like my Cherokee Purples. Not that I'd normally complain about getting a CP and the blame falls squarely on me for the mess that section of garden has grown into, but I have yet to try the black beauty and this season is getting long in the tooth. So very disappointed in that one
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Orange Strawberry and Brandymaster Red, both new to me, are both flavorless.
Another disappointment is an unexpected cross between Yellow Pear and either Tommy Toe or Black Cherry. The resulting fruit tastes way blander than Yellow Pear.

Nan
Blander than Yellow Pear? How is that even possible?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Natures Riddle, mushy and watery, never again.
Old August 22, 2017   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
truth.
Old August 22, 2017   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I know, right? That mater has to be working overtime!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Towards the end of the production the Black Krim tasted pre salted.
The first fruit sucked and were flavorless.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
Cosmonault Volkov - Taste was mediocre, most tomatoes were fairly small. Productive plants, but not much better than hybrid varieties.

Indian Stripe has been highly touted on this site, but I found the flavor not be that great. Would definitely grow Cherokee Purple and Black Krim over the Indian Stripe.
All of my black varieties were rather bland when it was raining so much for most of this season. Now that it is hot and much drier the flavor is really coming alive. I much prefer Indian Stripe of either leaf type to CP or BK most of the time. BK busts too easy and CP is just too darn unpredictable in production. Love BK as long as it doesn't rain much and it is very hot and CP is wonderful when it produces. This year Gary O' Sena has been wonderful but in so many years past it was rather bland. I like to give a good variety several years of production and tasting before giving up on them for one or more reasons; but typically it is taste that finally gets them the axe or replanting again and again.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #25
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
All of my black varieties were rather bland when it was raining so much for most of this season. Now that it is hot and much drier the flavor is really coming alive. I much prefer Indian Stripe of either leaf type to CP or BK most of the time. BK busts too easy and CP is just too darn unpredictable in production. Love BK as long as it doesn't rain much and it is very hot and CP is wonderful when it produces. This year Gary O' Sena has been wonderful but in so many years past it was rather bland. I like to give a good variety several years of production and tasting before giving up on them for one or more reasons; but typically it is taste that finally gets them the axe or replanting again and again.

Bill
I will plant ISPL again next year in a different location in my fairly large garden to see if it lives up to the hype, but I am involved with numerous farmers markets and have numerous tastings at each and it never is more popular than Cherokee Purple, Black Krim and doesn't even come close to Mr. Stripey, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine or Kellogg's Breakfast. Folks like it large and full flavored!
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #26
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I am with Charline. Janet's Jacinthe Jewel isn't invited back. Neither is Orange Jazz. I really tried to like it in several tastings because it is so beautiful and generous. It did not please my palette.
I was disappointed in the flavor of Little Lucky, also. There are a lot of raves here about it and I usually love yellow-red bicolor so, but this one just didn't do it for me. Disappointing was that my Chocolate Stripes wasn't striped. And that theHoneydrop Pear wasn't a pear, more of a saladette. Flavor was good, however, just not the size or shape I was going for. Lastly, my Reinhard's Green Heart was red.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #27
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

White Cherry...a day or so after I ordered it (cheap closeout Johnny's) I read on here how it is a dog. Well...whoever said that was right. Very unproductive cherry that is blown away by sunsugar.

Pink Bumblebee - taste is okay and pretty fruit but again for the second year not a big producer compared to sunsugar and will not return.

Lithium Sunset was had nice looking fruit with a solid first few trusses, but the taste was blandish/lemony and the plant did not hold up to disease well at all. I saved seed from one but don't plan to grow it next year.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #28
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Cosmonaut Volkov - the seeds came from Russia in a commercial packet, from a reliable company Aelita. Still, the fruits were anything but the real CV: what I got, was oval-shaped paste type fruits (red in color so at least that part was right..). Very prolific, so at least I can use them in cooking. In itself, quite bland.. (which may be attributed to the cool, damp weather this season).

Many other varieties which grew true to type have been disappointing NOT due any lacking of their own, but this weather. That is why I heartly applaud the bush varieties Ditmarsher and Pearly Pink Orange: both have managed to taste excellent.
The same for Black Opal. Even if the fruits can get a bit mushy, the sweet flavor is there. Yum!!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #29
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I am with Charline. Janet's Jacinthe Jewel isn't invited back. Neither is Orange Jazz. I really tried to like it in several tastings because it is so beautiful and generous. It did not please my palette.
I was disappointed in the flavor of Little Lucky, also. There are a lot of raves here about it and I usually love yellow-red bicolor so, but this one just didn't do it for me. Disappointing was that my Chocolate Stripes wasn't striped. And that theHoneydrop Pear wasn't a pear, more of a saladette. Flavor was good, however, just not the size or shape I was going for. Lastly, my Reinhard's Green Heart was red.
Was your Chocolate Stripes potato leafed?
Old August 23, 2017   #30
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Joe's Pink Oxheart produced my biggest tomato to date, 1 lb. 10 oz. I planned to carefully dissect it and save the seeds, but there was not a single seed in the entire tomato. To make matters worse, there was a huge ugly core in the tomato and it had no taste.

All other fruit on the plant have tasted great. Only the big one was bad.

Thankfully, later fruit on the plant produced a bunch of seed.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote