Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2007   #1
Bitwise Gamgee
Tomatovillian™

Default The Last to Go

My tomatoes really start to look terrible come late August. The plants begin to succumb to foliage disease. The fruits are small, often sun scalded, have more pest damage, and rot quickly in the heat.

The last few years I have tried to find a variety that will perform well through August. I have tried some “heat tolerant” varieties such as Arkansas Traveler, Tropic, and Creole. ... they fall to foliage disease like the rest. This year I have one that is doing quite a bit better than the rest: the Momotaro hybrid.

Has anyone else experienced this quality in Momotaro? For those of you whose tomatoes usually deteriorate due to foliage disease, what is the last to go?
Bitwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2007   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwise Gamgee View Post
---------Has anyone else experienced this quality in Momotaro? For those of you whose tomatoes usually deteriorate due to foliage disease, what is the last to go?
I am in zone 6, I have found Black Krim, Carbon to be very durable.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2007   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My tomatoes really start to look terrible come late August. The plants begin to succumb to foliage disease. The fruits are small, often sun scalded, have more pest damage, and rot quickly in the heat.
Boy, that really captures the tomato situation here, too, Bit. Right now, Prue is still looking good ( well, as good as it ever looks). NAR is looking good still as well. I haven't tried Momotaro, so will be interested to hear of other's experiences with it late in the season.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote