Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default 2 Questions about Tomato Tastes/Variety

Today, I got asked two tomato questions that I thought you all might know how to answer better than I attempted to:

1. What are the better or best varieties of tomatoes to grow for making fried green tomatoes?

2. The people I give tomatoes to all agree that their favorite is the Super Sweet Cherry 100s. They all talk about how sweet they are and they like the smaller size. What other varieties of cherry size tomatoes that compare to SSC 100s could I try growing?

I know I could have looked these questions up online, but most online sites are just trying to sell you whatever they happen to have. I am also just learning about hybrids and heirlooms. I like collecting seed and the whole heirloom thing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #2
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

There are so many cherry tomatoes. You could try SunGold, Sun Sugar, Riesentraube, Black cherry, the list goes on and on. Can't help you with the fried green tomatoes.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Today, I got asked two tomato questions that I thought you all might know how to answer better than I attempted to:

1. What are the better or best varieties of tomatoes to grow for making fried green tomatoes?

2. The people I give tomatoes to all agree that their favorite is the Super Sweet Cherry 100s. They all talk about how sweet they are and they like the smaller size. What other varieties of cherry size tomatoes that compare to SSC 100s could I try growing?

I know I could have looked these questions up online, but most online sites are just trying to sell you whatever they happen to have. I am also just learning about hybrids and heirlooms. I like collecting seed and the whole heirloom thing.
For fried green tomatoes you can use ANY large fruited variety before it starts ripening up/

One variety was specifically bred for fried green tomatoes, salsa, etc, but it really never caught on,but click on seed availability at the top of the page linked to below and there are still a couple of places offering it

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

As for sweet cherry tomatoes, many to mention, so I'll let others list their faves.

Remembering that one person can say variety X is sweet, and another person tasting that same variety will say no way. Just too many variables that go into how a specific variety can taste.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2014   #4
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

Default Fried GreenTomatoes

I have to agree with Carolyn that the size of the green tomato (2-1/2 to 3"diameter) is most important. I have some great green tomato recipes. None of them include varieties. It's what's available. Size matters.

My take: Slice it sorta thick- 1/4" is OK, about 3/8" is really good, 3/4" is way too thick.

Then do the flour/egg-wash glue/ bread crumb coating thing with some salt/pepper/cayenne and fry them until crispy outside. Top with shrimp remoulade.

It's not about the green tomato, it's about what you do with it.
daninpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote/

Remembering that one person can say variety X is sweet, and another person tasting that same variety will say no way. Just too many variables that go into how a specific variety can taste.

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

I should have thought of that. An example is like the tomatillos we, personally used to buy at the grocery store tastes sort of lemony and bland, but the tomatillos we are growing in our garden this year tastes sweet. It's not just individual tastes, but also where and how vegetables are grown.

I'm learning...

I am still very interested in reading other people's opinions on varieties.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Agree size matters Also flavor too. I find black tomatoes taste really great when they are green. Black Krim for example.
isis candy and super snow white are wonderful cherries
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Gardener's Delight is supposed to sweet - mine aren'r ripe yet, so still waiting for the results.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #8
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

With cherry tomatoes I started out with sweet 100's, then tried super sweet 100's, after eating those I never had a desire to try anything else, tasty!
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninpd View Post
I have to agree with Carolyn that the size of the green tomato (2-1/2 to 3"diameter) is most important. I have some great green tomato recipes. None of them include varieties. It's what's available. Size matters.

My take: Slice it sorta thick- 1/4" is OK, about 3/8" is really good, 3/4" is way too thick.

Then do the flour/egg-wash glue/ bread crumb coating thing with some salt/pepper/cayenne and fry them until crispy outside. Top with shrimp remoulade.

It's not about the green tomato, it's about what you do with it.
Glad you agree with me, but it's about that shrimp remoulade.I can't do much actual cooking these days,so I would greatly appreciate it if you could make some for me and hire a drone to drop it in the backyard.

I would need to know the ETA so I could have someone out there to get it since I'm also assuming you'd send it frozen and would need to get it into the house ASAP.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2014   #10
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
There are so many cherry tomatoes. You could try SunGold, Sun Sugar, Riesentraube, Black cherry, the list goes on and on. Can't help you with the fried green tomatoes.
DITTO.

JON
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grow a variety called "Fried Green Tomatoes". I ordered it from totally tomatoes a few years ago just to try it, It stays firm and NEVER turns red. It eventually urns to yellow, but still stays firm. I have people stop for it all the time. It also has a nice tangy flavor.
Old July 10, 2014   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I grow a variety called "Fried Green Tomatoes". I ordered it from totally tomatoes a few years ago just to try it, It stays firm and NEVER turns red. It eventually urns to yellow, but still stays firm. I have people stop for it all the time. It also has a nice tangy flavor.
That would be the Granny Smith F1 I linked to above.

THings are better after TT was bought by Jung's but when with the original owner not so good,and some of the names of varieties were not what they should be and Jung's inherited some of those./

Are you also saying that since you grow it every year,probably from savedseeds, it hasn't shown any differences which suggests that it wasn't an F1 in the first place? Knowing Petoseed I would not have expected that.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2014   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For fried green tomatoes (double dipped in two batters) I use the absolute meatiest beefsteak varieties that I know of. I want as little gel and seeds as possible. Marianna's Peace, Rose, and Seek-No-Further Love Apple are a few of those varieties.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Isis candy tomato, it is midseason for my garden, but oh so very sweet.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've found that yellow tomatoes fried when green are not as good to me as reds. They don't have the tartness I like.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote