Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2017   #1
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Default Valiant Tomatoes

Years ago my friend's father grew Valiant tomatoes as a truck crop. Does anyone know of this variety and if so, are seeds available?
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com...omato.html#red
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #3
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much, Sir!
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No problem. I thought Sand Hill might have them. Thanks you Sand Hill!!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzlaguzla View Post
Years ago my friend's father grew Valiant tomatoes as a truck crop. Does anyone know of this variety and if so, are seeds available?
I was raised on what you called a truck crop/farm and Valiant and several others we grew were always one of the main crops.And that b/c they were so dependable in terms of what we could take to market..

If you go to the Sandhill Preservation site, and I hope you do,please see that they accept requests at only certain times of the year,and that isn't now.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/V...b=General_Info

Carolyn
Old September 7, 2017   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

If you look at the "Seed ordering information" link on the sand hill link Fred posted, you'll see that they do now accept orders year 'round -- but they do warn that it *might* take a while after August 15 (and most of the rest of the year, also). I normally place a seed order in the fall with Sand Hill -- sometimes it doesn't take very long, sometimes it does, but with an autumn order I have the seeds by the time I want to start them, fairly early in the new year. They really are a great source. Their web site is well worth spending time to look over.

Another great site that's dedicated to variety preservation is victoryseeds.com, but I don't believe they have Valiant.

Last edited by JLJ_; September 7, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
If you look at the "Seed ordering information" link on the sand hill link Fred posted, you'll see that they do now accept orders year 'round -- but they do warn that it *might* take a while after August 15 (and most of the rest of the year, also). I normally place a seed order in the fall with Sand Hill -- sometimes it doesn't take very long, sometimes it does, but with an autumn order I have the seeds by the time I want to start them, fairly early in the new year. They really are a great source. Their web site is well worth spending time to look over.

Another great site that's dedicated to variety preservation is victoryseeds.com, but I don't believe they have Valiant.
Yes, they do accept orders year round, but Glenn only gets to process seeds in the Fall,which also covers ones that were not currently in stock.

So most I know order in the Fall, but they don't start packaging and sending out seeds until the first two weeks in January, or so,and that's when they hire local ladies to come in and help with all the seed packing in envelopes and then sending in those larger packing envelopes which Linda then takes to the local PO to be weighed and sent..

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old September 12, 2017   #8
Don S
Tomatovillian™

heritageharvestseed.com also lists Valiant in their catalog. I believe it was developed specifically for northern gardens.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote