Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2016   #1
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Default ‘The cold blob’ could play big role in worrisome hurricane season

Lead article in the Charleston, SC Post/Courier this AM. Thought it may be of interest to post the link to this report:

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...n-ocean-future
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, we will just have to wait and see what happens once all the ice melts. Nobody really has a clue what the worldwide effects will be, but I would assume mostly bad. I read a article saying that the hottest point in Earths history coincides with the greatest diversity of species so don't worry it will be fine. The problem I have is dinosaurs and such were alive then and I think it would be hard to grow tomatoes with those dam T-rex stepping on them all the time.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Yeah, we will just have to wait and see what happens once all the ice melts. Nobody really has a clue what the worldwide effects will be, but I would assume mostly bad. I read a article saying that the hottest point in Earths history coincides with the greatest diversity of species so don't worry it will be fine. The problem I have is dinosaurs and such were alive then and I think it would be hard to grow tomatoes with those dam T-rex stepping on them all the time.

Not to mention the giant stink bugs.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I've got 'Waterworld' on Blu-Ray anybody wanna watch it. Kevin Costner is not that bad in it, really.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

That's one of my mom's favorite movies, she just loves her some Costner.
Old April 7, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hollywood cant make their mind up.
One movie the world is covered in water the next it is covered in ice.
Old April 7, 2016   #7
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Better a T-rex than a stegosaurus-they were herbivores!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #8
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

How high do you think the fence would have to be to keep T out?
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My cousin sculpts/creates life size dinosaurs...
www.cmstudio.com
Webpage hasn't been updated in years, but he will create/sell a life size T Rex for around 100k, the current one is 42 feet long, 16-18 feet tall it was found in Fort Peck Montana, it's called Peck's Rex. Be the first on your block to have a huge T Rex in your garden.
Lower right hand corner is a pic of a T Rex and a Parasauralophus found in Canada group photo, I'm the guy on the far left. I believe these went to a museum in Canada.

Last edited by pmcgrady; April 7, 2016 at 10:15 PM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
My cousin sculpts/creates life size dinosaurs...
www.cmstudio.com
Webpage hasn't been updated in years, but he will create/sell a life size T Rex for around 100k, the current one is 42 feet long, 16-18 feet tall it was found in Fort Peck Montana, it's called Peck's Rex. Be the first on your block to have a huge T Rex in your garden.
Lower right hand corner is a pic of a T Rex and a Parasauralophus found in Canada group photo, I'm the guy on the far left. I believe these went to a museum in Canada.
Could I borrow it to test my fence?
Old April 8, 2016   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In the short run the climate change will be erratic. Me thinks.
In the long run I believe the scientist. But "in the long run we all be dead" .
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that is the first I've heard of this "cold blob". You'd think our weather man (men) would be all over it. Especially last summer, which was pretty much a 'cold blob' itself.

I for one am worried about hurricanes this year. We just had a fearsome windstorm a few days ago that was close to hurricane force winds and caused a lot of damage, and certainly the forecasters are calling for a stormy spring for us. And we started out the year by getting dinged by Alex in January.
Might be a hard year to put my tomatoes out into some kind of bus shelters. Never mind the dinosaurs. My friend may have giant flying caterpillars...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Wow, that is the first I've heard of this "cold blob". You'd think our weather man (men) would be all over it. Especially last summer, which was pretty much a 'cold blob' itself.

I for one am worried about hurricanes this year. We just had a fearsome windstorm a few days ago that was close to hurricane force winds and caused a lot of damage, and certainly the forecasters are calling for a stormy spring for us. And we started out the year by getting dinged by Alex in January.
Might be a hard year to put my tomatoes out into some kind of bus shelters. Never mind the dinosaurs. My friend may have giant flying caterpillars...
I skimmed through the article but some speculate that so called blob could set us into another ice age from what I have read elsewhere in the distant past not from the internet.
Another thing they have done is taken core samples from both sides of the mid Atlantic ridge farther and farther out.
By looking at these samples and calculating back in time when they were laid down they can tell that we have had many polarity swaps.
In (geologic time) we are due for another polarity swap.

Worth
Old April 8, 2016   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I skimmed through the article but some speculate that so called blob could set us into another ice age from what I have read elsewhere in the distant past not from the internet.
Another thing they have done is taken core samples from both sides of the mid Atlantic ridge farther and farther out.
By looking at these samples and calculating back in time when they were laid down they can tell that we have had many polarity swaps.
In (geologic time) we are due for another polarity swap.

Worth
Yeah the polarity swap is another thing... bye bye internet and all things tech if/when that happens it will have major impact on civilization. Thank goodness it has no effect on turnips. Which is all we'll have growing here if the cold blob does it's stuff.

Just checking the wiki, the cold blob is "off Greenland" big surprise there, it's been shedding blocks of glacier the size of Manhattan regularly the last couple of years.
Actually I was just reading the other night, that there's heat issuing from the earth's core under the glacier there, and making a 'slippery' melted layer for the ice to slide on. It's as if the missus herself had decided to shed that icy mantle. And yes, I weep because from where I'm sitting, there is nothing worse than watching Greenland's droppings drifting past in pieces.
Old April 8, 2016   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well... so funny. Accuweather says it could put a lid on the hurricane season, if just a bit of the blob water managed to get down south... but not everyone agrees that's even possible.
http://www.naplesnews.com/weather/hu...374971041.html
Gross, gross picture of the blob, that's me Newfoundland on the left of the image folks.... so much smaller than THE BLOB.