Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking at my notes from last year, and the only PL plant I'm seeing in that area of my garden is another plant I'm not certain about, but I think is probably a Brandywine Sudduth. If it was a cross between those two, it will be neat to see what comes out of it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Al, many many thanks! The lady said she had 2 different baggies of PR seeds, so thought they were all from mine, but wasnt really certain. I know mine grew as a RL, and that I don't usually have a problem, actually never yet, with accidental bee crosses, because at the time of year I grow there is virtually no hallictid bee activity, and we dont have bumble bees here. Very relieved to hear this.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I apologize to Linda and anyone who got seeds from me who were wanting the real PR.

At the same time, I'm excited about the cross I think it might be, because the tomato I thought was Brandywine Sudduth had a big yield, 3-4x that of the PR next to it. It could be a big yield improvement on Paul Robeson.
Old April 9, 2016   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm looking at my notes from last year, and the only PL plant I'm seeing in that area of my garden is another plant I'm not certain about, but I think is probably a Brandywine Sudduth. If it was a cross between those two, it will be neat to see what comes out of it.
Cole, it would not have been a cross from last year, or all the plants this year(F1) would be RL. The genes would be 1/2 Paul R( RL- dominant), and 1/2 Brand. Sud. (PL- recessive). You would not have any PL plants showing.
Old April 9, 2016   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're right. The 75/25% I'm thinking of would be in the F2 generation then, right? That's where the recessive gene expresses itself again.

I'm not sure where I got my seeds. It could be someone else's unstable cross.
Old April 9, 2016   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

For what its worth I started 100 ISPL seeds this year and got 1 regular leaf, will be interesting to see what it is. They were grown near Wes and Sugar Drop.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #22
LindaB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I apologize to Linda and anyone who got seeds from me who were wanting the real PR.

At the same time, I'm excited about the cross I think it might be, because the tomato I thought was Brandywine Sudduth had a big yield, 3-4x that of the PR next to it. It could be a big yield improvement on Paul Robeson.
Not a problem. I'm just experimenting with different types of tomatoes. If I get one that's a great tomato, I don't care if it's called Paul Robeson or Paul Robbie.

I'll make sure to report back whatever I do get from your seeds.
LindaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're right. The 75/25% I'm thinking of would be in the F2 generation then, right? That's where the recessive gene expresses itself again.

I'm not sure where I got my seeds. It could be someone else's unstable cross.
Yes, correct, the F2 would give 25% recessive showing. I think with 5 of 6 being PL, yours are much further along in their F generations. More and more recessive traits show up the further along the generations get.
Old April 9, 2016   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Canines

Quote:
I wish I could remember the leaf pattern of the plant I grew last year, but I don't.

So my RL plants are the real Paul Robeson? What should I expect out of the PL plants? I need to ask Gerardo what he got; I know he grew my seeds out and we thought he had the real Paul Robeson. Do you think the PL seedlings could just be Paul Robeson PL? As in the same fruit, just different leaf pattern?

edit: from the pic, it looks like Gerardo ended up with the RL variant: http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....73&postcount=1

So the RL looks like the real thing. I wonder what the PL will be.
Tito and Helio ate my garden journal, so don't remember which one it was. Pic looks RL.

PR crosses are tasty.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
For what its worth I started 100 ISPL seeds this year and got 1 regular leaf, will be interesting to see what it is. They were grown near Wes and Sugar Drop.
Only 1 RL out of 100 seeds? Stray seed, not a cross. If you had a cross, all your seeds would show up as RL. Half dominant half recessive genes, dominant expression of the RL side.
Old April 9, 2016   #26
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I think if you get 25 percent PL in the f2 and choose a RL, you will get 12.5 percent PL in the F3 not more. If you choose a PL it is a done deal with leaf type.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

How many of the PL plants should I grow? Are they going to be different, or all the same?
Old April 10, 2016   #28
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Cole, I found this to be very useful.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38505
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #29
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Cole, did you send packets of Paul Robeson in to the MMMM this year labeled "Paul Robeson 2014 bonus"?

I am the one who wrote to Marsha to ask her about her seeds. I have the above-mentioned MMMM packet and also a packet from Marsha, so I wasn't sure which I planted (though Marsha's packet only has 2 seeds left in it so at least SOME must've been from her!). I found a majority had PL (I estimated 75% but didn't actually count before trashing some of the extras), so I am guessing those are yours, if you indeed were the MMMM source?
I think I might try to grow one each of the RL and PL seedlings that I have, if I can somehow find the extra space....

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My seeds were from last summer, 2015, so that wasn't me.

I'm still uncertain about how much variation I will find in the PL plants. I will grow out several and see.