Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2016   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
I have never seen a general purpose fert with ammonium sulfate as the nitrogen source. Which brand do you use?
Gen purpose is almost always ammonium nitrate and urea.
PureHeart,
I checked my 16-16-16 (Lilly Miller)
You are right. It does not have Ammonium Sulfate. It is mostly Ammonium Nitrate and some Urea. Total S contents is 5%. I need more S than that. Gotta get a bag of 21-0-0. My pH is good ( ~6.5). Not worried about it doing down much.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #17
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, Ammonium Sulfate has 2200 potential acidity, that is pretty acidic, and considering your already at a 6.5, eehhhh.
Have you considered Magnesium Sulfate? Tomatoes do need the Mg too and that will help with your Sulfate also? You should also get the bulk of of your N by means of Nitrate Nitrogen, the link I posted is very useful in this catagory.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Gardeneer, Ammonium Sulfate has 2200 potential acidity, that is pretty acidic, and considering your already at a 6.5, eehhhh.
Have you considered Magnesium Sulfate? Tomatoes do need the Mg too and that will help with your Sulfate also? You should also get the bulk of of your N by means of Nitrate Nitrogen, the link I posted is very useful in this catagory.
Thank Mark
I am not going to use that much to significantly lower the pH.
I also do use Epsom Salt (Mag. sulfate) . But too nuch. My soil is already rich in Mg.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #19
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Before you jump, take a look at HG Hobby formula at the bottom of the link, I have not tried it, I use the other 3 part, but I imagine it is very good if you follow the instructions. Anyway, take a look, I am so impressed with the one I use, these guys are good at what they do.
Just a suggestion, nothing else, and good luck this year.
Mark
https://hydro-gardens.com/product/ho...box-10-8-22x5/
Old April 8, 2016   #20
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Fertilizer recommendation from Dixondale Farms website: "21-0-0 provides a high source of nitrogen which is what onions need to generate more foliage and therefore more rings and larger bulbs.

Directions: Apply first application 3 weeks after planting, then continue every 2-3 weeks. Sprinkle 1 cup per 20 feet of row. Apply when tops of onions are dry. Once the neck starts feeling soft do not apply any more fertilizer (approximately 4 weeks prior to harvest). Always water immediately after feeding and maintain moisture during the growing season. Onions need more water closer to harvest".

I follow their recommendations to fertilize onions and have a successful crop every year! We are still eating onions stored from last year's August harvest. We should get our 2016 Dixondale Farm's starts the last week of April. The onions we grow (Highlander and Super Star) are featured in Dixondale's catalog frequently. Highlander is our favorite because they not only have great taste and are large softball size - they also have a thin neck (as seen in the photo). They are the only variety that we have planted in Wyoming where the onions actually fully mature and the tops actually fall over before frost! The Highlander cures and stores much better than any variety we have tried (we've tried most all of the medium and long day onions). It is the perfect variety for our location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_1187_1024.jpg (389.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3480_1024.jpg (412.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3509_1024.jpg (286.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4013_1024.jpg (338.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4014_1024.jpg (354.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4016_1024.jpg (317.6 KB, 55 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #21
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Before you jump, take a look at HG Hobby formula at the bottom of the link, I have not tried it, I use the other 3 part, but I imagine it is very good if you follow the instructions. Anyway, take a look, I am so impressed with the one I use, these guys are good at what they do.
Just a suggestion, nothing else, and good luck this year.
Mark
https://hydro-gardens.com/product/ho...box-10-8-22x5/
Mark, could you tell us what you mean by "I use the other 3 part" -- not sure what you're referring to.

Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #22
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Hydro gardens has a base fert for different crops
Like 4-18-38 for tomatoes. The second part is calcium nitrate. The 3rd is madgnesium sulfate.
You add all 3 to water and mix. They do not come together in one package because of incompatibility.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Gary, PureHarvest covered it well. It is great stuff, and their ferts are perfectly formulated for specific crops. How do I know that? They have a program where you can send leaf samples to labs for analysis of the tissue.
I was sent down this path by our state horticulture guy, it was a game changer.

Hudson, great onion info, that is something I am trying this year on a bigger scale. I can taste those in my Brandywine spaghetti sauce already. LOL