Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2018   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default Esmerald Golosina OK size plant for container?

I could have sworn I asked this already, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

I'm trying an Esmeralda Golosina plant this year, and I seem to recall being told that it's a manageable size to put in a large container.

The seedlings I started are very vigorous and were even outpacing my Yellow Brandywine for a while, so I'm a little concerned, but maybe they're just fast out of the gate?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I found Esmeralda Golosina to be a bit compact compared to other indeterminates. I think you can easily grow EG in a container of at least 5 gal.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #3
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Anything in the 5' or under range (maybe even 6') and not super bushy/sprawling is OK for my larger containers.
Old April 22, 2018   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Esmeralda Golosina grew 5-6' tall when I grew it. It didn't grow a wide plant - around 2.5' around.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

That sounds perfect. Thanks, Salt.
Old May 23, 2018   #6
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

So my plant is over 2 feet tall, which makes it the tallest tomato plant in my garden right now. It has a nice, open habit and is looking to be quite early based on its flowering. Maglia rosa beat it for fruit set, but I'm guessing EG will be a close second.

I'm still a little concerned that it's going to be a very tall plant given its vigorous early growth. Has it been your experience that it was quick out of the gate but slowed down later in terms of vegetative growth?

Old May 24, 2018   #7
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Same thing here Gorbelly, my 2 plants are the tallest and most vigorous of all my others, so I am expecting them to get very big. I'm also wondering if the growth will stop soon if people are saying they top out at 5' or 6'.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's the write up on Esmeralda Golosina by Lee Goodwin of J & L Gardens (Espanola, New Mexico), who developed EG.

"Esmeralda, as beautiful as its name, sets fruit with a remarkably intense, sweet, and complex flavor. It is one of the finest tomatoes we have released in some time and among the highest brix tomatoes you can grow. The strong, productive, 5 foot plants ripen fruit in about 70 days and continue to bear even through the sumer and into the fall. Disease resistance is bred in."
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote