Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2018   #1186
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Looking good and healthy, encore!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #1187
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What a gorgeous plant, encore!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1188
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I was very excited to see first blush KARMA pink on Tuesday 7/10! I expect I'll have a fruit to pick tonight or Friday and eat this weekend. That will put it at about 60 days from transplant and about 105 from seed.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1189
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I was very excited to see first blush KARMA pink on Tuesday 7/10! I expect I'll have a fruit to pick tonight or Friday and eat this weekend. That will put it at about 60 days from transplant and about 105 from seed.
Right on schedule! That’s great 😃
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1190
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I and my DH tried KARMA pink with and without salt. Salt makes it even better. Complex full flavor, really taste like a beefsteak tomato does. Definitely a keeper. On average the weight is about an ounce. Many more are ripening soon. The fruit is not soft at all and looks like it will have good shelf life, that is if it is not eaten right away.

I am impressed with the flavor.

Ladies, thank you for sharing your baby with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0099.jpg (235.6 KB, 143 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 12, 2018 at 01:41 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1191
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ella! I am so happy that you are enjoying the flavour. That has always been the goal, an early PL tomato with great flavour.
Thank you for giving it the space to trial it in your garden. If you liked this one, I am certain you will like the others as well and I hope you will wish to try them too when the time comes (should be soon)
Karen
Old July 12, 2018   #1192
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Thank you Ella! I am so happy that you are enjoying the flavour. That has always been the goal, an early PL tomato with great flavour.
Thank you for giving it the space to trial it in your garden. If you liked this one, I am certain you will like the others as well and I hope you will wish to try them too when the time comes (should be soon)
Karen
Karen, I would most certainly give a space to all that you are creating. I will love too. And thank you for making this great tasting PL variety. Love PL tomatoes.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1193
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I was out watering today when I spotted a ripe tomato, a big pink cherry KARMA!!!!!! I picked it and will let it ripen some more before trying it, and I'll be sure to report back .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #1194
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Karen, I would most certainly give a space to all that you are creating. I will love too. And thank you for making this great tasting PL variety. Love PL tomatoes.
You have been kind and supportive from the very beginning and it would be my pleasure to see you grow any of my tomatoes. I have a long memory for those who have been kind to me. Very much appreciate your support.
Karen
Old July 12, 2018   #1195
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I was out watering today when I spotted a ripe tomato, a big pink cherry KARMA!!!!!! I picked it and will let it ripen some more before trying it, and I'll be sure to report back .

Linda
Yay! Looking forward to what you think. I know you tried them at Marsha’s but this will be the first from your own garden
KarenO
Old July 15, 2018   #1196
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

First KARMApink is in and now tasted.....105 days from seed, 61 from transplant. Just for reference this was 13 days after Sungold F1, I’d call it early mid-season as it is about in the middle of my indeterminates to offer first ripe. 1 oz fruit on the nose.

Now for flavor. WOW! I’m not blowing smoke, one heck of a tomato, and this is the first off the plant! Juicy and meaty, nice tang with ample sweetness and rich tomato flavor. Pleasant lingering after taste. I score all my tomatoes for flavor in an Excel sheet over the years and this will likely be joining the small group of 9+, but always give it many tomatoes before a final score. Take a bow! The hard part for your next releases will be living up to this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F68449D4-2876-4857-959F-42E5C9367E61.jpg (204.0 KB, 93 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018   #1197
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
First KARMApink is in and now tasted.....105 days from seed, 61 from transplant. Just for reference this was 13 days after Sungold F1, I’d call it early mid-season as it is about in the middle of my indeterminates to offer first ripe. 1 oz fruit on the nose.

Now for flavor. WOW! I’m not blowing smoke, one heck of a tomato, and this is the first off the plant! Juicy and meaty, nice tang with ample sweetness and rich tomato flavor. Pleasant lingering after taste. I score all my tomatoes for flavor in an Excel sheet over the years and this will likely be joining the small group of 9+, but always give it many tomatoes before a final score. Take a bow! The hard part for your next releases will be living up to this one!
What a lovely report! Thank you so much for this beautiful write-up. I'm so glad that it wasn't my own prejudice that thought this tomato was in the top 5 last season and I grew a hundred and nine varieties! You have just made me feel so proud. Thank you so much.
Old July 15, 2018   #1198
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I had been waiting patiently for more fruit to ripen... and four off of the second truss did just that today. Technically, they will probably be fully ripe tomorrow or the day after, but my patience was wearing out.

The largest two are about 1.75 inches in diameter (about 4.5 cm) and weigh 1.3 and 1.2 ounces (roughly 37 and 34 grams) each.

The smaller ones are just about 1.5 inches wide (3.8 cm) and weigh 1 ounce (about 28 grams) each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020388.JPG (380.1 KB, 87 views)
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018   #1199
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

YES! Makes me so happy to hear you say that!
It was the most critical aspect of the project, the flavour and I think You will find excellent flavour in all of them.
Made my day, thank you!
KarenO
Old July 15, 2018   #1200
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I had been waiting patiently for more fruit to ripen... and four off of the second truss did just that today. Technically, they will probably be fully ripe tomorrow or the day after, but my patience was wearing out.

The largest two are about 1.75 inches in diameter (about 4.5 cm) and weigh 1.3 and 1.2 ounces (roughly 37 and 34 grams) each.

The smaller ones are just about 1.5 inches wide (3.8 cm) and weigh 1 ounce (about 28 grams) each.
I am actually a bit jealous.