Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default A Confession

A confession - I joined site called Tomatoville back in 2014. I've grown some really good tasting tomatoes (over 200 varieties) - made over 9,000 posts. Have learned that my gardens are overridden with RKN, and Fusarium race 3. I have shared tomato seeds with people all over the world. When is the last time you mailed seeds to someone in Romania? It is as easy as mailing to someone in your town - it just costs about a dollar more.

Along the path, I've shared points of my life with you, and sometimes I wish I wouldn't have, but I did. Often times, it is easier to be quite and mysterious. I'm not in that mode anymore. It is easier to me to be honest even though I do write things that I realize could mean something else than what I actually mean.

A Confession: Tomato sauce in a can tastes better than anything I've grown. Tomato juice is Campbell's, and I buy canned tomatoes. Maybe they add the right amount of acids?

A Confession: Growing in RKN soil with Fusarium race 3 is a challenge to me that I have to try. I cannot afford to buy containers or artificial soil. Property taxes are eating us alive along with unforeseen bills to help out our children.

Stuff happens - throw in menopause that I'm doing everything I can to help my wife, and the ER stuff happening with me and tomorrow is another day.

The confession - I am human trying my best. The person you know as AlittleSalt is who I have always been, but I had to go through hell being him, and I am confused.

I wanted to edit out that confused part, but

I have to post this.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #2
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I confess that I enjoy reading your posts and you are an asset to this community
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I'm am in the same club,Tville is me FK book,twitter,smack talk,etc.I still gots a CB radio when this grid goes down,if needed make your way here,call for "coat hanger"(my handle,one was in the car window one day)we will try to sort it out.
Old August 7, 2017   #4
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

I think it's more about the fun of being in a community, and what you get out of growing things in a garden that really counts.

Having like-minded people who are also putting in the effort, even if their soil doesn't seem to want to grow anything, but trying to overcome none-the-less: it all builds character.

Sharing your tips, tricks and the struggles too is all part of the process of learning and growing yourself and helping others to grow too.

In a way I think this site is more about growing people than tomatoes; and you seem to be an integral part of that process here, Salt.
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #5
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Always enjoy your post & if you are like me sometimes it's easier to write about stuff than to actually talk about them.
Old August 7, 2017   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I confess that although I always grow my own tomatoes organically, I also buy tomato sauce in a can and I buy ready made catsup too.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #7
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Ditto what Lasairfion said
I look forward to reading your posts every day.
Hang in there bud !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think life in general is often confusing. If it wasn't, we wouldn't feel the need to figure things out, we'd just be existing...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #9
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I too appreciate your posts. Your honesty is inspiring. We don't have to go thru life being perfect and exposing our warts to others makes us human. We all have our flaws and imperfections. When we sometimes openly show them to others makes them not seem so bad.
In my lifetime I have been a liar, cheat and a thief. I am guilty. I desperately tried to hide the truth and my flaws from everyone, but I knew better. I have found being honest about my life and my feelings allows me to be comfortable in my own skin and be happy most of the time. A life of honesty is Much better than a life of deception.

I buy Hunts tomato sauce and Hunts Ketchup. I pick my nose when it needs it and sometimes I am gassy.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #10
taboule
Tomatovillian™

It speaks highly of this list and our community that we can all be so open and candid with each other.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

I buy Hunts tomato sauce and Hunts Ketchup. I pick my nose when it needs it and sometimes I am gassy.
Uhm... maybe there is a point of too much honesty. Lol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Salt, Mario Batali buys canned tomatoes to cook with, he says fresh tomatoes are for eating. So, you are in good company there.

When we all post our triumphs and disasters everyone can learn something. I waited until too late this year to start seeds and my bought plants are suffering, because I just couldn't get myself up and do as I wanted but was too depressed to act.

Everyone has different problems and joys, sharing sometimes let us find a solution or a help or to share that joy.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I tried to my make own ketchup once, once.......

Although I make sauces through the year for most things, I do buy this one for use with my Mexican dishes, esp. burrito.

My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you for the responses. Maybe life is supposed to be confusing. For me, it is easier to write about things. I do like the community part here very much. I enjoy reading what all of you write about - it has expanded my understanding of this world.
Old August 7, 2017   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Uhm... maybe there is a point of too much honesty. Lol.
Marsha