Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 22, 2018   #811
shyxlilfox
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to thank everyone for sharing the wonders of DE. It outperforms ProMix by leaps and bounds! Recently transplanted some plants into a DE/ProMix mix, and the roots were long, well branched, and a healthy shade of white. I think they’ll be monsters once they go into the ground.

Thank you,
Florence
shyxlilfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #812
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Is this the stuff?

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Aut.../338/75431.uts
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #813
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Moose Knuckles View Post

Yes it is! Happy Growing!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #814
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

@rockporter

Thank You!
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #815
beetkvass
Tomatovillian™

Can someone recommend a good liquid fertilizer to me for growing my tomatoes in DE?

I just bought a 25 lb bag of Optisorb at O'Reilly's and it was $17. It seems awfully steep in price compared to what I'm seeing here.
beetkvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #816
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I just bought 25 lbs. of this at O'Reilly's for $11 as they did not have any other absorbent medium. Could I still use this for starting seeds?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/e...t/9805/4525770
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #817
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
I just bought 25 lbs. of this at O'Reilly's for $11 as they did not have any other absorbent medium. Could I still use this for starting seeds?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/e...t/9805/4525770
It looks like it is labeled 100% DE, so it should be OK. the different brands have different average size particles, but they perform similarly.

If you are using standard inserts or pots in a 1020 tray, you will find that the precut drainage holes in the bottom are much too big to hold back the DE. I turned my 72 cell inserts upside down and put masking tape over all of the drain holes. i turned the insert right side up, put it on a couple of layers of cardboard, and used a home made tool- 1/2 PVC tubing with 3 or 4 small finishing nails duct taped to it, to make new, smaller holes. If you use the original holes, you'll have a lot of DE wash out, especially if you lift the insert to bottom water.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #818
R2rusmc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post

I just bought 25 lbs. of this at O'Reilly's for $11 as they did not have any other absorbent medium.
Oh hells bells. I asked for 5 bags from NAPA. They said I may need professional cleaning crews. Lmao. Also picked up some of the DE kitty litter at the dollar store.

Go big or go home I always say. Haha
R2rusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #819
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. I'm going to use the 36 cell trays and have cut coffee filters to put on the bottom of each cell. Yeah, the bottom holes are quite large for the DE.

I was very lucky to have mentioned my proposed purchase and a friend gave me a card for $10 off $20, so I really bought 50 lbs. for $13 including tax.

The particle size is not a powder, but very small(er) sized particles. Thanks for the OK to use this non-name brand stuff!

Last edited by guruofgardens; March 5, 2018 at 05:16 PM.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #820
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks good to me. The manufacturer website info below. Happy gardening.
https://epminerals.com/products/floor-dry

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #821
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The PH is not the same in all DE products, (as stated in the beginnings of this thread). So if you are using something other than Opti or Ultrasorb then I would do a PH test and correct it accordingly. This will ensure that you have strong vigorous seedlings.
Old March 17, 2018   #822
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Removed double post.

Last edited by svalli; March 18, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #823
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Similar DE as in US is not sold here, but I have been using cat litter sand, which is made from Danish moler. It seems to perform as well as the real DE. I just started to transplant my tomato seedlings to coir and made a video about how easy it is to get the plants from the moler.

Sari
Old April 5, 2019   #824
fiat84
Tomatovillian™

Default Canadian sources for DE

My local list might just help someone else save some time.

Optisorb(Moltan) at Acklands Granger $20.24 per 25lb bag

Qualisorb 628(EP Minerals) at Acklands Granger 20lb bag $10.43 on sale until April 30 then $16.77, Canadian Tire $17.99. pH=7 as per the Safety Sheet PDF. The CT website has one excellent review successfully using Qualisorb 628 as seed starter. There is an Al's potting mix thead guy at gardenweb who was successful in his growing mix using Qualisorb 628. So attempted my own pH test: saliva is greenish = 7, the distilled water was yellow about 5-6, and I crushed up some Qualisorb 628 into a powder then added distilled water, but still only got the yellow 5-6 reading but probably added too much water.

NOTE the Acklands "catalogue" lists BOTH Optisorb and Qualisorb 628 under "Optisorb", but listed seperately on the website.

Can Dry Supreme 16.3KG(36lb) is $17.99 at Princess Auto, and various sizes at Acklands $14.65(36lb), $26.49 14KG PAIL, $11.91 12kg.

Careful calling Acklands when I phoned to verify stock, spoke to some east indian call center somewhere and the guy could barely speak English. Turns out the pickup depot he said had stock is not a retail store and requires at least two hour processing time before your product even arrives from a warehouse. Had to pay then go back again a few hours later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Qualisorb 628 Optisorb flowchart.jpg (110.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Ackland catalogue Optisorb Qualisorb.jpg (83.7 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by fiat84; April 5, 2019 at 03:05 PM.
fiat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019   #825
fiat84
Tomatovillian™

Update using Qualisorb 628 for a week old now in my seed starting has had no issues. All veggie/herb seeds sprouted fine and continue to grow nicely. Mixed 2/3 Qualisorb 628 with 1/3 Promix BX as my starting mix. If there was a serious pH issue with Qualisorb 628 then there should have been problems but no issues so far.
fiat84 is offline   Reply With Quote