Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 24, 2016   #91
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking dog you have there! I have a male German Shepard also, smart dogs...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #92
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I had a male and female for 8 and 9 years. My current dog is about 4 years old. I drove to Linton, Indiana, to the county pound to get her. Some very ignorant people bought an expensive purebred puppy from working line genes, a dog that was bred for high-energy prey drive above everything else, and then stuck her in the backyard with two small children. I am thinking they largely ignored her, other than the beatings. It has taken a long time for her to understand that I am not going to beat her. She still cowers when I come home and get out of my truck. She always loved women and was scared of men. I know her early life must have involved a man coming home in his truck and beating her every day. We are finally at the point where she has enough confidence to do things like bark at strangers. She barked at the water meter reading guys last month - two men in a truck! That was a big step.

And speaking of pond silt, my dad said he needed to drain his pond to work on the valve. I should go scoop some up when he does.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #93
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I got my first GS about 25 years ago when I bought 28 acres and an old farmhouse the dog was about 3 then. The guy selling the farm would torment the dog by stepping on its front paws. It came time to close the deal on the farm and the guy said he would be by in a week to pick the dog up, I said the dog stays or the deal is off, which he agreed to. That dog was my best friend after that... Then about 2 months later the guy I got dog and farm from showed up to visit... That German Shepard almost ate him when he got out of his truck, couldn't happen to a nicer person LOL!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #94
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We had one that showed up at our place and my dad put out word.
The owner showed up to get the dog.
The man tied the dog to his car and drove off dragging the dog behind him.

The dog comes back and it is covered in scabs from being drug down the road.
The man shows back up to get his dog.
My dad kicked his butt in our driveway and ran him off.
The dog stayed with us from then on.
His name was Pal.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2016   #95
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
We had one that showed up at our place and my dad put out word.
The owner showed up to get the dog.
The man tied the dog to his car and drove off dragging the dog behind him.

The dog comes back and it is covered in scabs from being drug down the road.
The man shows back up to get his dog.
My dad kicked his butt in our driveway and ran him off.
The dog stayed with us from then on.
His name was Pal.

Worth
sounds like your dad let him off easy.
Old February 25, 2016   #96
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Working dogs need something to do, otherwise, we all know a bad end is around the corner.

My dog Helio (the lighter colored one) is like yours, someone did a number on him early in life and its hard for him to trust. I can put a T shirt on his brother w/o problems; Helio says no way, get away from me with that thing. Shower time can be interesting too, the uncontrollable shaking is the weird part, but with enough singing and talking and just being nice he eventually relaxes.

Sugar's Black Magic looks great with snow on top. Can't wait for it to be fully green with multi-colored orbs hanging in bunches.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #97
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I snapped a pic today as the snow melted:
Old February 28, 2016   #98
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was just reading a little more about humic acid. The molecule is absolutely huge:

One of the many intriguing uses for humic acid is to neutralize chloramine from tap water.
Old March 8, 2016   #99
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My garden has now doubled in size from last year. I'm going to quit hauling dirt for now. It's supposed to rain for the next week anyway. I will have almost 900 feet of row. Next comes the deer fence, then drip line and plastic, and then maybe some low tunnels over the plants.

I have big bales of hay that I could use to mulch the walkways, but I am a little scared I am going to get mice and snakes living in it. I may just buy the $300 DeWalt cordless string trimmer I have been wanting, and then weed-eat everything.

If I'm lucky, there will be enough flow in the drip system so that my old Hozon siphon injector will work with it. If not, I'll probably buy an injector. I'm thinking that I will still probably use a little fertilizer, even if it is not absolutely essential, since it's for a market garden.
Old March 9, 2016   #100
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

Cole Robbie, I put a T and valve in after the filter and before the pressure reducer and then inject back in after the reducer. 50# supply water into my 10# header water. Works real good for my little syphon jet, I make sure whatever I'm injecting is fully suspended since it doesn't go through the filter.
Good luck
Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #101
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

From what I understand, all injectors have a range of flow rates for which they work. The trick is calculating how much water will flow through your system per minute/hour and buying the right injector.

What brand of siphon injector do you have? Do you know your flow rate for the entire system?
Old March 9, 2016   #102
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Increase your feed pressure on your siphon injector by elevating the feed stock tank or bucket.

Worth
Old March 9, 2016   #103
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I honestly did not think of that. I'm kind of glad, thinking of all the ridiculous ways I would have been trying to hold the tank up in the air.
Old March 9, 2016   #104
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been looking on there site to find the required velocity and cant find anything.
They dont give a lot of information.
Old March 9, 2016   #105
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean Hozon? I got it to work with the drip when I had a big field of melons going. It was at least 1,200' of row. I'm going to have almost 900 feet, so it will be close.