Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 4, 2019   #2911
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Leland Melvin's official NASA photo

In a negative world this is a positive photo of a NASA astronaut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-09-04-11-23-20~2.jpg (136.3 KB, 195 views)
Old September 4, 2019   #2912
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sunrise from the roof of a high rise this morning.
Austin Texas.
IMG_20190904_49160.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #2913
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone,
This afternoon when I was hiking, I stopped to take a wonderful photo of this prickly pear, it reminds me of my childhood when everything was full of prickly pears, unfortunately every time they look less for my land, I love its flavor.
regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chumbera.jpg (173.2 KB, 182 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #2914
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

In Sicily and in arid areas of Andalusia, it is part of the wild landscape and the most typical prints. Local farmers used the prickly pears as fences, to delimit the boundaries of their properties and to prevent intruder visits.

Today it is considered an invasive species (it is) and even its transfer is prohibited. Like the cypresses of Tuscany, the Andalusian prickly pears, for example, are scattered along narrow local roads and ruined walls forming part of a postcard of the past, now in decline.

Prickly pears, the fruits of this special cactus, ripen in the middle of summer. Its flesh has a light greenish, yellowish or orange color. The seeds are inside the pulp and should not be consumed. They are enjoyed fresh, after a complicated process, only suitable for experts. They have a crystalline, fresh and rustic aftertaste.

Uses of prickly pear
In the Mediterranean areas, the prickly pear, until just a few years ago, was only consumed by the poor population that knew and embarked on the complicated task of collecting it. They grew wild on the edge of the plots and could be collected for free without any problem.

As their meat and palate are so peculiar, they did not leave their place of origin and rarely (properly mounted) were in the capital markets. That has changed radically today, as the prickly pear is becoming fashionable among gourmets eager for new flavors.

The prickly pear turns into a lot of delicious treats that include sweets, slushies, sorbets, ice cream and jellies, as well as serving it as dessert. It is usually served in two ways, either raw, where it has flavors similar to watermelon, sweet melon, strawberries and figs, or as liquor.

The procedure to make the liquor begins with the extractions of the juices, and although the process is complicated and requires a little effort, the fermentation process is similar to that of winemaking. When finished, it will appear as a pink liquid, ice cream will be served as a delicious drink after dinner.

Those of the European markets come from the south of the Mediterranean area, from the most arid and hot lands of Sicily and Andalusia, very similar in climate and character. Those of the American market have more variety since, with the name of prickly pear, prickly pear or prickly pear cactus, they are found in semi-desert areas of Mexico, Ecuador, Argentina or Peru.

Nico.
Old September 5, 2019   #2915
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We have a lot of prickly pear in our area and on our property. Our prickly pear is very different than your prickly pear. Ours make beautiful, large blossoms which turn into a sweet fruit full of tiny seeds. The pads are much thicker than your pads and larger. Many people eat them (nopolitas strips) by throwing the pads into fire to quickly burn the thorns off. They are then sliced into narrow strips and cooked like green beans. The pads contain a slime similar to okra slime.

Somrtimes, cattle try to eat the pads and get a mouth full of thorns. Ranchers drive around their ranches with large propane burners on a truck, They quickly burn the thorns off the pads and the cattle then eat them. They always have a lot of moisture in the pads even in long droughts.

I usually mow them along with the wild grass and weeds on parts of our property. I don't let them grow into prickly pear beds because when they are large, the thorns easily puncture my lawn mower tires.

Last edited by DonDuck; September 5, 2019 at 08:50 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2019   #2916
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Old September 9, 2019   #2917
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Starry Wind dwarf hibiscus

I'll see your passion vine and raise you a hibiscus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0907191036.jpg (80.2 KB, 147 views)
Old September 10, 2019   #2918
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Many of you never have and never will experience being the first person to walk on the floor of a building and having all the lights automatically come on.
It seems really weird.
IMG_20190910_1593.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019   #2919
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default missed the perfect pose

Last night this mantis climbed up the broom handle from a tray of okra I bumped while cleaning birds. A fleck of dove down swirled up and stuck to his right antenna as he hid on the short broom handle and peered out to surveil us. His head was cocked sideways, feather side down, watching me and the dog. Unfortunately as soon as I finished and went to get the camera he broke cover, so the only pictures I got were these. Probably the first thing he did was pull the feather off.

I say he due to long wings but I'm no expert. Approx 3-1/2" head to tail (width of redwood board). Compared to males, females are heavier, thicker, and wings too short for flight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (174.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (173.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (177.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (173.2 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by JRinPA; September 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019   #2920
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Early mornings often bring times for peace, contemplation, and gratitude Worth. I really enjoyed the sunrise picture.

JR...i'll never forget the only time(maybe I've been blessed that way) I got bit by a praying mantis. I was a child in Papa's garden....too interested in what vegetables I might find to pay attention to what was on the branches!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019   #2921
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default Champions!

You have the courage of the champions! No one in the world plays
to basketball better than you !!! What a lesson in strength, conviction, union, category! Unforgettable Spain !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baloncesto.jpg (226.1 KB, 112 views)

Nico.
Old September 17, 2019   #2922
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Nicholas,

Was this the European championship?

I don't know when the world championships will be played, but I don't expect the American team to advance very far. I've read our best players are not interested in playing for pride. They make so much money playing as professionals, they see no value in playing for pride and possibly receiving an injury.
Old September 21, 2019   #2923
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Nicholas,

Was this the European championship?

I don't know when the world championships will be played, but I don't expect the American team to advance very far. I've read our best players are not interested in playing for pride. They make so much money playing as professionals, they see no value in playing for pride and possibly receiving an injury.
Hi.
It was the world championship held in China.
I agree with you, the United States is the seventh, but as you say the United States plays with no desire and do not give value to the world championship because they know they have no rival, undoubtedly the United States has the best team in the world with big difference, but every year that passes the difference is smaller with the rest of the teams, keep in mind that almost all the players of the Spanish basketball team play in the league of the United States.
It happens the same as with soccer , in Europe and more in Spain there are the best teams in the world with a great difference, at the end of the career of a professional in the Spanish league usually goes to finish his career to some team of the The United States, and also every year that passes the football league in the United States is better and more competitive.
In Spain we celebrate the whole country with great happiness the world championship that Spain won! and without any offense to anyone I wanted to share my happiness.
Greetings to all

Nico.
Old September 21, 2019   #2924
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Birds' breath

Fascinating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190921_200135.jpg (70.6 KB, 63 views)
Old September 21, 2019   #2925
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Nicholas,

Congratulations to Spain for winning the world Championship. Most professional sports in the United States seem to focus more on the money instead of pride. I used to be a fan of most sports. Today, I prefer to work in my garden while sports are on television. My wife and I do enjoy watching women's college volleyball. American women athletes seem more interested in pride than money. I watched most of the women's soccer (football) championship and none of the men's matches.

I am very happy for you and for Spain.