Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 20, 2015   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default The KARMA Project

KarenO and Ginger 2778

KARen and MArsha

The KARMA project

I made a cross this summer with the goal in mind of an early potato leaf fancy cherry from a cross between Ambrosia Gold (early, tasty, cherry, strong RL plant) x Captain Lucky- midseason vigorous delicious tricolour potato leaf plant. medium to large fruit.
hoping we can produce a cherry with special colour like a bicolour, tricolour or pink/black with super taste on a vigorous early midseason PL plant to carry forward. If we are really lucky, there could be more than one but one is what we are hoping for to start.
Marsha gardens in Zone 10B in Florida and can garden in the winter. We came up with the idea to be partners and pass seed back and forth between us to speed up the stabilization process if we get an interesting cherry to work with.

My Zone 3 growing season is about 120 days and from June to September which severely limits my tomato growing to a single season. Sending seed north to south and back and forth the two of us can cut the time in half that it will take to stabilize it Some of you might remember me growing out F1 beefsteaks over winter in my kitchen to save a year but with my Friend Marsha as a partner I don't have to do that again. lol

I sent Marsha F1 seed from the cross a couple of weeks ago and she has started growing the seedlings. I will wait and see what she posts once she sees this thread because she might have babies growing soon!

Thank you Marsha for agreeing to work on this with me and I am excited to see how the F1's turn out. Cross your fingers for us folks and follow along!

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; September 20, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #2
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, that sounds like a great cross. I will be keeping an eye on your progress. Good luck to both of you.
Old September 20, 2015   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sounds fantastic! Good luck with the project!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #4
Runescape
Tomatovillian™

Very cool, but this thread should probably be moved to the CrossTalk section...

Cant wait for pics of the F1 though, keep us posted.
Runescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with the project, Ladies.
I like the name , KARMA

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Great idea Karen and it's exactly what the Dwarf project did for so many years,that is, our summer is their winter, and the reverse so it speeded up results and movent towards ultimate stabilization and release of varieties.

Carolyn
Old September 20, 2015   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting Documentation

Karen sent me 12 seeds of her F1 cross of Ambrosia Gold X Captain Lucky. Not wanting to put all my eggs in one basket, I sowed 5 in a damp paper towel sealed in a ziplock baggie. This way
I could check daily and get them right as a little root was forming. Photo taken here with the baggie in the position of least amount of glare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (202.6 KB, 1946 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello Partner!
There were only 30 seeds altogether from a single crossed bloom that "took" and formed a small fruit. Can't risk sending them all in the mail so I kept some back just in case but that dozen arrived safe and sound and Marsha is coddling them along and seems like they all look likely to germinate. Fresh seed helps too. I would have had to store the seed til spring but with Marsha involved, they went in the mail as soon as they were dry enough with minimal storage time.
Looking forward to some wee green babies soon. All the F1 seedlings will be RL. We guess that the fruit will be small and either yellow or pink but don't know for sure.
KarenO
Old September 20, 2015   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with the project - I love the name.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hello Partner!
There were only 30 seeds altogether from a single crossed bloom that "took" and formed a small fruit. Can't risk sending them all in the mail so I kept some back just in case but that dozen arrived safe and sound and Marsha is coddling them along and seems like they all look likely to germinate. Fresh seed helps too. I would have had to store the seed til spring but with Marsha involved, they went in the mail as soon as they were dry enough with minimal storage time.
Looking forward to some wee green babies soon. All the F1 seedlings will be RL. We guess that the fruit will be small and either yellow or pink but don't know for sure.
KarenO
Two of those wee green babies are already up! Photos tomorrow. Sleep now.
Old September 21, 2015   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here are our first 2 seedlings up, day 6. They look quite strong so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (206.7 KB, 1923 views)
Old September 21, 2015   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! Always good to see another project that brings some great taste and colour into an earlier package. Methinks the Karma from this is all good.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #13
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

This is good medicine for the funk I go in at the end of the season. It is great to see a project uniting 2 outstanding varieties. Ambrosia Gold is a great producer, and I think it is better than Sungold because it doesn't spit nearly as badly, and the taste is quite comparable...not to mention it will be OP.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to reports!
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Babies! They look great Marsha!
Karen