Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2017   #1
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Default Marinda F1 - first supermarket tomato with great taste

I'm really surprised, today I invested a small fortune in a few tomatoes - 3,49€ for 4 small tomatoes because these tomatoes had a huge "top flavor" sign on them. So usually, in german supermarkets, you get nothing but red waterballs grown in huge greenhouses in soilless systems in the Netherlands. Beside that, Kumato has found it's place in some supermarkets, but I find it tastes just as bland as the others. Last year, one supmerarket offered a few special looking tomatoes (Pineapple, San Marzano, Green Zebra...) but they had no taste whatsoever.

So I was sceptical when I saw these but I just HAD to try them. Turns out that they are simply amazing. Grown in soil in italy, I think that's what makes the difference. It tastes just as good as my tomatoes in summer...
Full tomato flavor, some acidity but not unpleasant.

So now I'm sitting here, eating a tomato like an apple and enjoying the taste of summer 1,5 months before plant out dateSadly I'm reacting quite bad to it and my lips are burning like hell, but who cares?
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Splash your lips with cold water and keep enjoying! Great find!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Du bist was du est?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
I'm really surprised, today I invested a small fortune in a few tomatoes - 3,49€ for 4 small tomatoes because these tomatoes had a huge "top flavor" sign on them. So usually, in german supermarketm, you get nothing but red waterballs grown in huge greenhouses in soilless systems in the Netherlands. Beside that, Kumato has found it's place in some supermarkets, but I find it tastes just as bland as the others. Last year, one supmerarket offered a few special looking tomatoes (Pineapple, San Marzano, Green Zebra...) but they had no taste whatsoever.

So I was sceptical when I saw these but I just HAD to try them. Turns out that they are simply amazing. Grown in soil in italy, I think that's what makes the difference. It tastes just as good as my tomatoes in summer...
Full tomato flavor, some acidity but not unpleasant.

So now I'm sitting here, eating a tomato like an apple and enjoying the taste of summer 1,5 months before plant out dateSadly I'm reacting quite bad to it and my lips are burning like hell, but who cares?

Translated to "You are what you eat".
As a transplanted Bavarian I know what you mean.I am going full Hugel/No Till after not being happy with the container regimen.
My "Omma"and I as a kleiner used to eat maters of the vine but with a salt shaker.She had her garden down next to the community type gardens that were next to the train tracks as you see in Germany often.
That brings back memorys.
Thanx.

Last edited by kurt; March 30, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatenmitgeschmack.de/sh...&p1=390&p2=393

Ami
Old March 30, 2017   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wunderbar. I too found some excellent tasting tomatoes, a red cherry with the name 'red Desire'. That might just be the marketing title, but they are just as fine as my won cherry toms...!
I might even take a few seeds!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #6
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I found that one too
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2018   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Anyone growing Marinda this year?

F1 or F2+

I'm interested in trading seeds, if anyone is.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; August 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Are these the ones grown in Sicily? With salty water? They do look like them. Usually found in spring in supermarkets. That would pretty much explain the great taste.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2018   #9
bschaerger
Tomatovillian™

I have hunted these tomatoes high and low and also done a bit of research.

Names vary: Marinda, Merinda, Mirinda.
I'm not sure that it is a hybrid, but then I'm also not sure that it is an OP.

They do come from Sicily and the main season is in spring.

Many people like them green or half red, but do yourselves a favour and let at least one get really ripe: gorgeous stuff. Caveat: not all Marinda/Merinda/Mirinda are created equal.

I procured seeds from Manfred Hahm and the one plant I had turned out to be a cross or a mistake. I then bought seeds from another source and this seemed to be the real deal. But I can only grow tomatoes in pots on my balcony and the "Merinda" plant did not like this: the fruit had internal BER and were hollow and the taste was nothing like the store-bought ones.

So I've given up on growing the fabled Marinda and just wait for spring every year, invest a fortune in tomatoes and, yes, even mail-order them....

Baba

eta: Fred, I'll check if I have seeds left and if I can find out where I got them from

Last edited by bschaerger; August 6, 2018 at 07:05 AM.
bschaerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2018   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

They are slow ripening kind (usually off the plant) (like the ramallet, but not sure if it's the same gene involved). I've eaten some very lame looking round red but storage type in Italy on a bruschetta and it was something incredible. Really the trick to get that fantastic flavour is how you grow them, and only a bit related to the variety.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2018   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the background!

I do think how/where they are grown is likely significant.
But the long-keeping aspect is important and must be genetically based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaerger View Post
I have hunted these tomatoes high and low and also done a bit of research.

Names vary: Marinda, Merinda, Mirinda.
I'm not sure that it is a hybrid, but then I'm also not sure that it is an OP.

They do come from Sicily and the main season is in spring.

Many people like them green or half red, but do yourselves a favour and let at least one get really ripe: gorgeous stuff. Caveat: not all Marinda/Merinda/Mirinda are created equal.

I procured seeds from Manfred Hahm and the one plant I had turned out to be a cross or a mistake. I then bought seeds from another source and this seemed to be the real deal. But I can only grow tomatoes in pots on my balcony and the "Merinda" plant did not like this: the fruit had internal BER and were hollow and the taste was nothing like the store-bought ones.

So I've given up on growing the fabled Marinda and just wait for spring every year, invest a fortune in tomatoes and, yes, even mail-order them....

Baba

eta: Fred, I'll check if I have seeds left and if I can find out where I got them from
Old August 6, 2018   #12
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Makes sense.

Long shelf life genetics is my main interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
They are slow ripening kind (usually off the plant) (like the ramallet, but not sure if it's the same gene involved). I've eaten some very lame looking round red but storage type in Italy on a bruschetta and it was something incredible. Really the trick to get that fantastic flavour is how you grow them, and only a bit related to the variety.