Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old May 6, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Tomatillos in a potting soil bag

Hi All,

I have read that some people grow tomatoes directly in a potting soil bag. I wanted to know if this is possible for tomatillos. If it is, how many plants should I grow in a 2 cu. ft bag of organic potting soil? Should I also make slits/ holes on the bottom for drainage? If so, how many and how big?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-You can grow in a bag of potting soil-you will have to decide on how many plants, but I would guess 2-4, depending on your conditions. Make sure you have drainage holes or your plants will die from being soaked.
Old May 7, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the advice. I also have several Easi-Lift Grow Bags (12 Gal) from Peaceful Valley Farms. They are really a pain to fill. Also, have the 5 gallon bags. I am going to double check to see if I have two or more that are not being used. If I do, then I will just plant 1 tomatillo plant per 5 gallon bag.

Angelique

Edit...I decided to plant 3 plants in a 12 gallon grow bag. Although the bags are a pain to fill, I think in the long run using the bag would be less work. They are about 16-18" high...That beats picking sprawling tomatillos off the ground any day.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote