Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 31, 2018   #1
JoParrott

Default Fish pepper seeds wanted

Does anyone have Fish Pepper seeds to share? I grew them a few years ago and then gave all my seeds away! They are such a pretty plant I want to put some in my front yard for show! Thanks- Jo in WA
Old December 31, 2018   #2
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

PM your addy and I'll send some!
Old December 31, 2018   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

PM's are acting up but I did get your info, They'll be in the mail today if I go out as the mail already ran here.
Old December 31, 2018   #4
JoParrott

Thanks, Rob
Old January 3, 2019   #5
zendog
Tomatovillian™

So what do people think of fish? I agree it is a lovely plant, but I must say I was underwhelmed by the flavor when I grew them this year. They are relatively small (at least for me) and just didn't have a whole lot of depth of flavor. Am I missing something? Beautiful and a lovely preservations story, definitely, but flavor...

Of course we had a ton of rain this year which didn't help with some plants, but other peppers had a lot more flavor to me.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2019   #6
JoParrott

I like the appearance of the plants--I'm a sucker for variegated leaves! And I also like the heat of the peppers as well as the changing colors of the peppers themselves. Since the plants are pretty small- about 2ft tall in my garden, I like them in the front of my front yard flower beds.
Old January 6, 2019   #7
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
So what do people think of fish? I agree it is a lovely plant, but I must say I was underwhelmed by the flavor when I grew them this year. They are relatively small (at least for me) and just didn't have a whole lot of depth of flavor. Am I missing something? Beautiful and a lovely preservations story, definitely, but flavor...

Of course we had a ton of rain this year which didn't help with some plants, but other peppers had a lot more flavor to me.
If last year was your first year growing them, I'd try them one more time. Rainfall last year was epic, as you know. My garden was almost a total bust.

I use Fish as a seasoning pepper - dried and ground - and typically part of a blend, like it is in Old Bay. Some folks also pickle it and use it like a Sport pepper on the famous Chicago style hot dog.
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote