Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 8, 2015   #1
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite Hose End Sprayer?

Has anyone found the perfect one? I keep collecting the multifunction handles with 5 or 7 functions, and while one does a great job misting, its sprayer is course and harsh. Another has a nice full, soft general spray function, but the mist is really more like a fine spray, and it moves the soil and seeds around. I have no use for flat, cone, and vertical sprays, so i don't really care how those work, or if they are included at all. I want 5 basic, good functions:
1. gentle mist, for wetting down my seeded flats,
2. a general soft spray for general ground watering chores,
3. a good, strong, focused jet for cleaning stuff off,
4. a good full flow for filling buckets, (pipe dream here, I know - best to just take the handle off!) and
5. a nice, focused soaker that doesn't spray and dribble all over.
Has any manufacturer put these functions together in one handle successfully? Or am I condemned to having to switch constantly between various handles to get the best of each function? I don't much care if it's long, mid-length, or short, as long as it works, and works well!
Old March 8, 2015   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

After years of those plastic multi part/spray concoctions solid brass lasts forever.I use a turkey baster for my germination starts and fine watering applications.

http://makezine.com/review/tool-revi...t-hose-nozzle/
Old March 8, 2015   #3
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I made my own water wand with 3/4 pvc and a ball valve to control flow. I usually use a Dramm 1000 red breaker head for a nice soft flow. If I need mist I carry a mister in my pocket and swap heads. It takes about twenty seconds.
http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=425

Last edited by zeuspaul; March 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
After years of those plastic multi part/spray concoctions solid brass lasts forever.I use a turkey baster for my germination starts and fine watering applications.

http://makezine.com/review/tool-revi...t-hose-nozzle/
(((Old school))) I have a few around the house and they last forever.
Built like a fire fighters hose nozzle.
The only part that can wear out is an easily replaceable "O" Ring.

And I have an assortment of spray bottles.

I also like the hose end watering wand because the water comes out nice and gentle.
Like this.

Anybody notice you have to go on line for almost anything these days to get good products?
The Big Box stores are on the cheap China wagon.

What

Last edited by Worth1; March 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Over a few decades, I've bought many different sprayers for many different reasons.

As a brick and stone mason, the simple twist type made of brass works best for washing mortar off of roofs and concrete floors.

Playing with the kids and grandchildren - a dollar store multi-function type does great.

Watering in the garden, I like using a long handled wand type.

What I have learned over the years is that it is more about the water pressure and hose size. A cheap light duty half inch water hose with low water pressure produces a fine mist. A heavy duty 1 inch hose and water turned up all the way can wash a brick off a porch.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Over a few decades, I've bought many different sprayers for many different reasons.

As a brick and stone mason, the simple twist type made of brass works best for washing mortar off of roofs and concrete floors.

Playing with the kids and grandchildren - a dollar store multi-function type does great.

Watering in the garden, I like using a long handled wand type.

What I have learned over the years is that it is more about the water pressure and hose size. A cheap light duty half inch water hose with low water pressure produces a fine mist. A heavy duty 1 inch hose and water turned up all the way can wash a brick off a porch.
Salt what you are experiencing is friction loss.

To give an example when I did the calculations for my irrigation system I did a test.

The water at my faucet was 50 psi 10 gallons a minuet running through about 70 feet or more of 3/4 copper water line.
I jumped from 3/4 to 1 inch tee'd off right out of the meter.
I got 30 gallons a minute at 50 PSI.
The smaller water line creates high velocity and the higher the velocity the higher the friction loss.
The water line that was installed at my house went against industry standards on feet per second by a really long shot.

One aggravation with hose end sprayers id the pressure that builds up when oit is off.
This is called static pressure.
You turn the faucet down so you dont blast your plants but at first the pressure has to drop to the lower flow.
A really good fix for this is to put a regulator on your faucet end.

Here is one that is affordable.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Ad...r-p/18-007.htm
Old March 22, 2015   #7
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;455582](((Old school))) I have a few around the house and they last forever.
Built like a fire fighters hose nozzle.
The only part that can wear out is an easily replaceable "O" Ring.

And I have an assortment of spray bottles.

I also like the hose end watering wand because the water comes out nice and gentle.
Like this.

Anybody notice you have to go on line for almost anything these days to get good products?
The Big Box stores are on the cheap China wagon.

What[/QUOTE

Worth where did you get the second product from? Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Beale you can get them in a lot of places I dont know where we bought it.
A nursery in Austin I think or on line.
It is made by DRAMM

Here is a link to their stuff.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja
Worth
Old March 22, 2015   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I buy my water wands from ace hardware. Alot of other places sell them for upwards of 50 bucks for the fancy anodized ones. At Ace hardware you get to chose either from green or green. Lol. It is also aluminum but it lacks the trigger handle for the on and off. It has a brass ball valve instead. The best part is it retails for 9.99. I have had mine for 3 years now will no problem.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose , sprayer