Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 5, 2014   #211
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Mark what are your top 5 tomatoes and why?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014   #212
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Fishergirl,that's tuff to answer, I consider many variables, but here's a short response.
Early Girl hybrid, NOT BUSH; very reliable, big yields, nice fruit, very good taste.
Bloody Butcher, reliable in cool temps, big tomato taste.
Fred Limbaugh LPT, yields good, taste good all season, and the taste is complex tomato goodness, with a touch of sweetness.
B.W. Sudduth's and Cowlick's; same category as Fred Limbaugh LPT
Delicious; it was much better than I expected, a great BLT tomato, I don't know why more folks don't talk about it. I had a tomato sampling for about 25 ladies from the garden club, Delicious won, and the cut tomato weighed was over 2lbs.
For a 6th, Bear Creek would be in the list too, or could replace one of the pinks to keep it at 5. BC, has a great taste, they yield a lot of tomatoes for me, and don't crack to bad either.

Last edited by AKmark; November 5, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014   #213
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default FisherGirl

Here is a pic of Delicious that you may have missed. I could not believe the tomatoes that came off of each truss, the big red tomato was the one we sampled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0462.JPG (354.2 KB, 111 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2014   #214
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Mark, that is a beautiful picture. I have some varieties that taste great and produce well that surprisingly not as popular as I think they should be. One of them is Cherokee Chocolate. CC gave we 31 pounds total from 2 plants and have more green tomatoes on the vines.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2014   #215
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

Your seeds arrived on Tuesday. Thank you so much for sharing your bounty, I really appreciate your generous donation.

I will mail you some seeds(will use the return address on the envelope) - I hope this will work!

Cheers,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2014   #216
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Here is a pic of Delicious that you may have missed. I could not believe the tomatoes that came off of each truss, the big red tomato was the one we sampled.
Wow that is amazing! Thanks for the feedback. It is always great to hear what other people have success with and what they like, especially somebody that can grow them like you do... :-)

Love this thread!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote