Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 24, 2018   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Mumless for Fall

What can I grow from seed in my greenhouse to sell as container plants in the fall?

I'm going to order more sunflowers and keep growing them as long as weather allows. I'm looking at ornamental kale, possibly ornamental grasses. I have a lot of big 9" mum pots left over. I used them for container gardens of greens in the early spring. I can do the same thing in the fall, but the weather is still too hot for lettuce in a pot. I've combined tall celosia and short zinnias to make a few combo planters that look nice, trying to build off the ideas in flower arranging, focal point, filler, and breaking the outline with something tall. I'm not sure what I would put in them as fall flowers.

Right now I have a lot of fall color rudbeckia and some calendula coming up as sprouts. They might work in pots. I also ordered the orange ornamental pepper "hot pops" and have those sprouting right now, too, and I have a flat of another purple mini ornamental peppers, Chile Conga, as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

You sent me some ornamental peppers that you growing on your porch, a few years back. One was not very big, and had small black peppers. maybe center one of those in a pot with little marigolds for fall/ Halloween colors?
Old July 24, 2018   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

And it's a house plant in my climate, not a fall decoration, but I am also consider ordering an assortment of wandering jew cuttings and making combo planters that I could overwinter or sell at my winter market.

Ideally, they would look something like this:
Old July 24, 2018   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
You sent me some ornamental peppers that you growing on your porch, a few years back. One was not very big, and had small black peppers. maybe center one of those in a pot with little marigolds for fall/ Halloween colors?
Yeah, that's Chile Conga. I like that variety. That's a good idea to combine it with marigolds. I didn't think of that. Thanks, Imp.
Old July 24, 2018   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome. You were kind enough to share seed, hopefully sharing an idea will help you a bit.
Old July 24, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quick-growing flowers:
1. Sweet Alyssum
2. Calendula
3. Johnny Jump-ups
4. Cornflowers
5. Nigella
6. Nasturtiums
7. Annual Phlox
8. Petunias
9. California Poppies
10. Sunflowers
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #7
LDiane

I'm thinking of the potted plants my supermarket sold in the winter and early spring. Cinerarias and obconica primulas. The primulas surprised me - they aren't normally sold because some people get a rash from touching them.

Cinerarias come in lots of colours, but I prefer the bright blue ones. Sow in June to flower in January, mid-July for February, September 1 for March, October 1 for April.
Old July 25, 2018   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I love pansies and ornamental kale
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
And it's a house plant in my climate, not a fall decoration, but I am also consider ordering an assortment of wandering jew cuttings and making combo planters that I could overwinter or sell at my winter market.

Ideally, they would look something like this:
Yes.
Tropicals sell well in the fall when people are starting to go inside as the weather cools.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I did end up getting pot mums, as I posted in the other thread. For my alternative fall flowers, rudbeckia seems to have done the best. Calendula did not want to grow for me, nor did the hot pops ornamental peppers I tried. The plastic containers get very hot in the sun, which was probably the issue.

But I do have a few nice rudbeckia:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20180919_182119_5571.jpeg (342.7 KB, 96 views)
Old September 20, 2018   #11
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I've been seeing those for sale here lately, too along with
gaillardia. Both are nice to buy as they are perennials. Good to have something to choose from besides mums.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Rudbeckias are the carefree fall flowers!! My mom has had plain yellow ones forever, and just this year she bought one that turned out to be a stunning dark red color. Those are a nice color you have, too.

Cole, don't forget to plant yourself a patch.. next year you just have to divide them and not bother with growing from seed. Perennials rock... so easy.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful CR. My black eyed susan plant is the plain yellow type without the pretty dark throat, and they are long finished blooming anyway. I haven't found a pretty cultivar that is perennial here. I agree it is very trendy this year in fall planters.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; September 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: The wandering jew is not trendy, looks like grandma to me (which actually will be me!)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Some of those Rudbeckias are annuals. Several times, I have bought the gorgeous ones with mahogany centers, and wondered why they never returned in spring .

My old faithful variety is Rudbeckia Fulgida which absolutely thrives, and increases with abandon .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; September 23, 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #15
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if Thunbergia alata would do well in your area -- black-eyed susan vine. It's eye-catching, especially if no one else is growing it. I've seen the deep orange ones grown as perennial vines here, but in cold-winter areas it'd probably be grown as an annual and might work in hanging baskets. When I looked it up just now, I found it comes in lots of colors. Supposed to be easy from seed; haven't grown it myself.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote