Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2019   #1
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil Test for my City Picker Planter

I had a soil test run for my City Picker Planter (similar to earth box). The container was filled with Pro-Mix and last year used a common vegetable fertilizer and osmocote. I have not added any fertilizer since May of last year.
Not sure if I should start over or work with what is in the containers. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soil test 1.jpg (399.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg soil test 2.jpg (315.4 KB, 96 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Seems good. pH is fine, EC is not too high, you're good to go. Phosphorous is only getting higher after each year, it's pretty much guaranteed since all organic fertilizers and also the others usually have too much.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #3
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Seems good. pH is fine, EC is not too high, you're good to go. Phosphorous is only getting higher after each year, it's pretty much guaranteed since all organic fertilizers and also the others usually have too much.
Thanks for the input, I wonder how to avoid Phosphorus build up in a new container, what fertilizer program would be the best.
Old January 19, 2019   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

At some point you'll get microelement deficiency, when P is super high. It's a few years until that happens, so I wouldn't worry about it, that soil will need replacing anyway.
I use a 7-3-10 organic, not exactly sure how they managed to get that formula with so little P considering they say it's chicken based. But it does have vinasse, which is probably the best organic fertilizer additive for tomatoes since it's mostly K.
Old January 19, 2019   #5
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

I have six of these older containers with high phosphorus, I think I will replace around half of the peat/pearlite with new peat/pearlite/vermiculite in three of them which could lower/dilute the phosphorus.

Other than adding some nitrogen, it looks like I do not need to add anything other than a small amount of lime. Once I have fruit set, then I will start using the Texas Tomato Food, been wanting to try this product.

Overall I was surprised that the containers had a build up of nutrients and I am not sure why the salinity is building up considering the amount of rain these containers get.

I have a lot to learn and I see more soil tests in the future.
Old January 23, 2019   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If it costs money, you can probably skip the soil test. The easiest is to just get pH + EC measuring tool, since that's the important stuff, and measure runoff from time to time to see if it's not too far off. Higher EC after fruit set usually is equivalent to dry farming and will result in visibly better taste, but how much you can push it depends on variety, weather, etc.
Old January 25, 2019   #7
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the guidance
Old January 25, 2019   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Your metals all look very high, check your tap water, might want to get a filter in place.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #9
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Your metals all look very high, check your tap water, might want to get a filter in place.
I was thinking about collecting rain water, not sure if it is feasible. I will look into checking the tap water.

Tags
earthbox , soil test