Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 18, 2017   #1
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone tried this variation on cattle panel tomato trellis

About to plant a couple hundred tomatoes in the next week or two, and I find myself ready to try another trellising system.
The last few years I've used large woven wire cages, they aren't bad I suppose. Prior to that I have used cattle panels but felt like it was way too much tying off and eventually parts of the plant will fall forward.

What I'm thinking might be the best system would be to place the cattle panel at an angle, like a solar panel and the tomato plant can sprawl up it without even having to tie it. I'm also imagining raising the panel off the ground about 8 inches so that the ground can be worked underneath without having to deal with the panel.
Do you understand what I'm talking about here?
What should I used to hold the bottom and any ideas on how the back may be held up? I have T posts but it seems like with this angled system the panel would just kind of be sitting there teetering unlike when the panel is flush with the T post.
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote