Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 23, 2016   #211
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
Here was my setup this morning.

Rose is on my grow list. It looks so wonderful.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #212
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Rose is on my grow list. It looks so wonderful.
This is my first year growing it and it will definitely be on my list again next year! It is one of my healthiest looking plants and my largest tomato was 1#5 oz-I have had numerous 1pounders. It is very solid with few seeds, juicy and great tomato flavor. I read your post where you only had one seed, I hope it grows for you, you won't be disappointed.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #213
bower
Tomatovillian™

Urban I love the tilted fruit holder. Did you make it? Is it light and easy to move and set up?

Cole, what a paradox. Living in tomato heaven! But can't get a good price there.
I went and read the wiki about Illinois. Interesting, and a big step up from Illinois = Chicago, the lake, draw a blank. I am completely ignorant when it comes to geography so thanks for the push. If I keep talking to interesting farmers and gardeners I'll eventually have some concept of all the places in the world.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #214
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
This is my first year growing it and it will definitely be on my list again next year! It is one of my healthiest looking plants and my largest tomato was 1#5 oz-I have had numerous 1pounders. It is very solid with few seeds, juicy and great tomato flavor. I read your post where you only had one seed, I hope it grows for you, you won't be disappointed.
I think Tormato is sending me some more.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #215
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Urban I love the tilted fruit holder. Did you make it? Is it light and easy to move and set up?

Cole, what a paradox. Living in tomato heaven! But can't get a good price there.
I went and read the wiki about Illinois. Interesting, and a big step up from Illinois = Chicago, the lake, draw a blank. I am completely ignorant when it comes to geography so thanks for the push. If I keep talking to interesting farmers and gardeners I'll eventually have some concept of all the places in the world.
Thanks, yes I did make it. I used all recycled pallets from my workplace with a piece of luan on the back. No cost to me. I used chalk paint on the 2x4's to be able to change the bins from week to week. I will be glad to send out a pdf file of my drawing plans to make this once I know how to attach them to forums. I designed this setup in autocad, but saved a version in PDF format

BTW-my seller sold my tomatoes for $4.00# and I would say I sold 150# for him today. I truly feel for Cole to only be able to get $2-$3 per pound in his area. I do understand how difficult and competitive some markets can be, but my concept is to offer the unusual different varieties and to be able to differentiate my tomatoes from other common varieties.
Old July 23, 2016   #216
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone. And that is a really nice display, Urbanheirlooms.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #217
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post

The bin I made is 31"x42" (widest pallet measurement). As you can see, I set it up on a 6' tablet. If you had an 8' table, you could set two of these up side by side. I usually plant 12 plants on average of each tomato type so I don't have more than 5# of salads & cherries & sometimes slicers. This display method allows me to put about five pounds in each bin and fill as they buy. With a 8' table, you could fit two of these bins.
Old July 28, 2016   #218
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

We have a small market here, usually 10 to 15 vendors is all. My wife sells baked goods and since I go every Saturday to help her set up I started to sell small amounts of produce too. I sell a 1/2 pint of mixed cherries for $2 and slicers for $3 a pound when they come in season. We just do it for fun and really enjoy it.

Last weeks table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7012.jpg (539.5 KB, 112 views)
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #219
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You're a genius! Why didn't I think of selling 1/2 pints for $2 instead of pushing full pints for $4? I am going to do that this year for sure. I bet there are more than twice as many people willing to spend $2 for a 1/2 pint than there are people willing to spend $4 for a full pint. This still converts to about $4 per pound for cherry tomatoes since my loaded up pint baskets weigh 1 lb each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post
We have a small market here, usually 10 to 15 vendors is all. My wife sells baked goods and since I go every Saturday to help her set up I started to sell small amounts of produce too. I sell a 1/2 pint of mixed cherries for $2 and slicers for $3 a pound when they come in season. We just do it for fun and really enjoy it.

Last weeks table.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #220
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

I sell out every week with the 1/2 pints. The customer picks which ones they want and I dump the basket into a brown paper bag.
Old July 28, 2016   #221
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! I like your mix of colors on your cherries. Those cinnamon rolls look delicious!
Old July 28, 2016   #222
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't understand how your half-pints look so big? They look like the same amount that is in my pint boxes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #223
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't understand how your half-pints look so big? They look like the same amount that is in my pint boxes.

The website I ordered them from advertised them as 1/2 pint wooden berry boxes but I think you're right, they seem big. I just bought 1 pint wood boxes this week and compared them to the 1/2 pint ones. They are still slightly smaller than 1 pint, about 3/4 pint maybe.
Old July 29, 2016   #224
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Kameronth, the wooden boxes and the price boards all look good. Like the setting.
What variety are this elongated black tomatoes?
And which one are your favorite?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #225
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Kameronth, the wooden boxes and the price boards all look good. Like the setting.
What variety are this elongated black tomatoes?
And which one are your favorite?
The elongated ones are Maglia Rosa but I think the photo makes them look darker than they are. I like the Black Cherry for snacking.