Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2017   #151
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just went out and emptied the rain gauge again.
Full to the top.
I bet I have had close 15 inches of rain I dont care what the lake next to me got.
Worth, I take it your house is still dry? Have you lost power?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #152
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Worth, I take it your house is still dry? Have you lost power?

No power loss, I'm a member of the Illuminati, we have power and water when no one else does.

I have a place up front that holds water next to my house but runs off before it comes in.
This morning I got up early and dug/cleaned out the water run with my trusty grape/eye hoe.

Lots of limbs in other peoples yards but not mine.
Yet again, the Illuminati.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #153
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No power loss, I'm a member of the Illuminati, we have power and water when no one else does.

I have a place up front that holds water next to my house but runs off before it comes in.
This morning I got up early and dug/cleaned out the water run with my trusty grape/eye hoe.

Lots of limbs in other peoples yards but not mine.
Yet again, the Illuminati.

Worth.
That explains a lot. I figured it was either the tin foil hat or the Star People Alliance. Either way, I am glad you are safe in your Ark.
Old August 27, 2017   #154
bower
Tomatovillian™

Indeed, Worth, so glad to see your planning and preparation is holding up to the deluge. The amount of rainfall is staggering. And they expect it to continue until Thursday! Hope you stay dry and lit in your hilltop eyrie.
Rockporter, don't even think about getting back to the coast before that storm is entirely gone! Forget about it! It could get worse before it gets better, and who knows how bad the roads can get in between. One woman drowned driving her car through deep water... it is FAR safer to stay put. Even if the place you are staying gets flooded, you're better off on a rooftop than you are in a vehicle.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #155
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just spent the last 30 minutes digging a ditch in a downpour so my neighbor ladies house wont flood anymore than it has.
This ditch runs beside the house to the back.
I have told both of her brain surgeon sons what to do to keep this from happening and they think something else needs to be done.
Both are idiots.

One the front of the house where it floods needs a rain gutter that is where the water is coming from.
Next the bushes need to be dig out and the soil lowered in the front and a nice ditch put in around that part of the house.
Next the concrete in front of the house has settled and made a pool in front of her door.
This needs to be busted out and lowered.
In front of the side walk (yard side) needs a small berm put in so water will divert to down the hill and not the house.
First and foremost that darn rain gutter needs to be put in.
Problem solved.
These idiots think putting a ditch in the front yard will solve the problem.

I am soaking wet and not happy but I did it for her so her bedroom wont flood out yet again as it has so many times.
I had new clean dry cloths on to go to the store.

Worth
Old August 27, 2017   #156
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rare naked photo of Worth after ditch digging.
Old August 27, 2017   #157
bower
Tomatovillian™

Miiiiaow!
Old August 27, 2017   #158
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, with all your preparedness I'm surprised to hear you going to the store. What on earth did you run out of?

Oh pardon me, just saw your other post about "giant boneless chuck roast". Hahahaha!

Last edited by bower; August 27, 2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add
Old August 27, 2017   #159
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The news really is hyping it up for this area as usual.
For the most part the people that need to evacuate shouldn't be living where they do.
I have no idea why a person would want to live on the banks of the Colorado river but they do.
Weird people too.
I road my motorcycle down in that hole before and folks that looked like they came off the movie set of deliverance came out to stare at me.
Bastrop has many pockets of these type folks stuffed off back in the woods.

Yes I have been forgetting the roast every time I go to the store.
Plus I am restless as all get out.
Old August 27, 2017   #160
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

News is showing Bastrop having a lot of flooding. We have been o here in Del Valle. It's been raining cats and dogs and the winds have been extreme but I think we will be ok for now. Certainly better than being at home.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #161
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
News is showing Bastrop having a lot of flooding. We have been o here in Del Valle. It's been raining cats and dogs and the winds have been extreme but I think we will be ok for now. Certainly better than being at home.
It's good to hear and update Rock.
Old August 27, 2017   #162
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The news really is hyping it up for this area as usual.
RATINGS!!! Just like the way all of the TV stations up here automatically go into hysterics at even a 10% chance of a DUSTING of snow. They know it will get eyeballs on their "forecast at 11," which is all they actually care about.

It would be nice if they gave a hoot about the effect on people of having their real, well-grounded anxiety fanned up well beyond what's reasonable. Especially when you consider that, over the years, it has to contribute to people deciding that all of the forecasts will turn out to be nothing, which is then likely to result in more people deciding to ignore warnings and ride things out when they really shouldn't. (How many of the people who decided to ride it out in Rockport do you reckon were partly influenced by the TV stations' propensity for crying wolf?)

But any sense of public responsibility collapses when faced with the almighty advertising dollar.

Quote:
I road my motorcycle down in that hole before and folks that looked like they came off the movie set of deliverance came out to stare at me.
Bastrop has many pockets of these type folks stuffed off back in the woods.
Hmmm, Google Maps says Bastrop is 2193 miles from my little peninsula in Puget Sound. How is it that we have the same neighbors?
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #163
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
So glad you were wise enough (and able) to get to safer ground in time. All fingers and toes crossed that the surprises when you're finally able to get back home will all be pleasant ones!
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #164
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
RATINGS!!! Just like the way all of the TV stations up here automatically go into hysterics at even a 10% chance of a DUSTING of snow. They know it will get eyeballs on their "forecast at 11," which is all they actually care about.

It would be nice if they gave a hoot about the effect on people of having their real, well-grounded anxiety fanned up well beyond what's reasonable. Especially when you consider that, over the years, it has to contribute to people deciding that all of the forecasts will turn out to be nothing, which is then likely to result in more people deciding to ignore warnings and ride things out when they really shouldn't. (How many of the people who decided to ride it out in Rockport do you reckon were partly influenced by the TV stations' propensity for crying wolf?)

But any sense of public responsibility collapses when faced with the almighty advertising dollar.

Hmmm, Google Maps says Bastrop is 2193 miles from my little peninsula in Puget Sound. How is it that we have the same neighbors?
To give an example of that is the people at work not thinking it would do this.
They asked me and I said it would be worse.
Really they said and I said yes.
They had weather and weather maps in grade school and how it worked when I was a kid.
You dont have to have a degree in weather to read a darn weather map and radar to know what low and high pressure fronts can do.
Old August 27, 2017   #165
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bastrop evacuations occurring right now. Be safe Worth.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote