Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 12, 2018   #31
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@greenthumbomaha-

I was surprised about Better Bush, also. I've grown it many times, and it is usually the best of the dwarfs and determinates I've grown that particular season -- but not last summer. It is probably not the seed that I used, but it was new seed and from another supplier, so I still have that nagging suspicion in the back of my mind. I think that this summer I will grow a Husky Red (not the cherry) and see how it does. Typically I get a fair amount of BER with HR, so I'm going to go to extra lengths to minimize it. I'm also looking forward to trying Coorong Pink and Scarlet Red this time.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #32
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I grew 8 dwarfs this year. They were all planted in ground where tomatoes never grew before.

Production & taste winner: Wild Spudleaf (but I love dark tomatoes) I would rank it very close to Tasmanian Chocolate that I grew the year before.

Golden Gypsy and Blazing Beauty were both very solid producers of tasty yellow/orange tomatoes.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #33
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I grew 8 dwarfs this year. They were all planted in ground where tomatoes never grew before.

Production & taste winner: Wild Spudleaf (but I love dark tomatoes) I would rank it very close to Tasmanian Chocolate that I grew the year before.

Golden Gypsy and Blazing Beauty were both very solid producers of tasty yellow/orange tomatoes.

Jeff

Hi Jeff-

Did you find Dwarf Blazing Beauty to be quite tart? I grew it several years ago, and it did well, but I found the very tart taste objectionable. Still, I wonder if I didn't pick and eat them before they were completely ripe? I've found that orange tomatoes need to get a really deep orange to have the best flavor (at least to me). Likewise, with gold tomatoes. I've probably dismissed a number of good tomatoes because I ate them too early. May have to try DBB again and see.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #34
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Hi Jeff-

Did you find Dwarf Blazing Beauty to be quite tart? I grew it several years ago, and it did well, but I found the very tart taste objectionable. Still, I wonder if I didn't pick and eat them before they were completely ripe? I've found that orange tomatoes need to get a really deep orange to have the best flavor (at least to me). Likewise, with gold tomatoes. I've probably dismissed a number of good tomatoes because I ate them too early. May have to try DBB again and see.
-GG
No, I didn't but it could be a "taste thing." Blazing Beauty produced a lot of tomatoes for me with a very balanced sweet taste. My favorites are still the dark/purple/black by far and I think I've come to realize I just don't like the tartness of green when ripe.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #35
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I'm having trouble keeping up! Here is a link to a post about what I liked earlier this year.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47364
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #36
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Here is a copy and paste of what I'm growing this year, most,if not all, for he second time. A few are from Artisan, and are not Dwarf project.

Pink
Rosella crimson 78 days, determinate dwarf — An early to mid-season, rugose, regular leaf dwarf plants, producing medium to medium large (four to twelve ounce), oblate fruit that have clear skin and deep-red flesh, therefore a pink variety. 'Rosella Crimson' is vigorous and productive, with an excellent to outstanding flavor, in some seasons approaching 'Pink Brandywine' in quality.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" as a selection out of the "Sleepy family" ('Budai Torpe' and 'Stump of the World', cross made by Patrina Nuske Small during the Australian Summer of 2005/06). 'Rosella Crimson' is the collaborative work of primarily Patrina Nuske Small (who named it), Craig LeHoullier, Linda Black, Denise Sackett, Justin Morse, Bill Minkey, with input from many others. Introduced in 2014. Each packet contains approximately 20 seedsNew Big Dwarf
Boronia 70 days, determinate dwarf — 'Boronia' is a rugose, regular leaf, dwarf variety producing medium to medium large (four to sixteen ounce), oblate fruit that are pink with dark shoulders and have a smooth, meaty texture. It resembles 'Cherokee Purple' both in its appearance as well as in its delicious, intense flavor quality.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" from a cross between 'New Big Dwarf' and 'Paul Robeson', 'Boronia' is the collaborative work of Patrina Nuske Small (who named it after a native Australian fragrant flower, Boronia megastigma), Gina McDermott, Tanya Kucak, David Lockwood, Craig LeHoullier, Sherry Shiesl, Carol Knapp, Michael Volk and Bill Minkey. Introduced in 2014. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.
Malee Rose 90 days, determinate dwarf — 'Mallee Rose' is a rugose, regular leaf variety that is a heavy producer of medium-large (five to fourteen ounce), oblate-shaped, pink fruits. The fruits are smooth, slightly ribbed, juicy and meaty with a nice sweet flavor.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" this variety originated from a cross between 'Rosella Purple' and 'Orange Heirloom.' 'Mallee Rose' was first bred by Patrina Nuske Small in 2008 and named "Rosy." The variety is named after an endangered native West Australian Eucalyptus called Rose Mallee. Those who were also involved in its development were Craig LeHoullier, Patrick Sullivan, Rick Hawksworth, and Bill Minkey.

Introduced for the 2016 gardening season. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.

Purple

Adelaide Festival 80 days, indeterminate dwarf — 'Adelaide Festival' is a vigorous, rugose, regular leaf variety that produces fruits that are a rich purple color (clear skinned black) with green stripes that ripen to olive-gold. They are medium-sized (six to ten ounce), smooth, oblate in shape, very juicy and tender with a delicious, well-balanced flavor that is neither too tart or too sweet.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" from a cross between 'Rosella Purple' and 'Pink Berkeley Tie Dye'. It was selected and named by Patrina Nuske Small of Australia in appreciation of the Adelaide Festival of Arts fireworks. Those who contributed to the development of 'Adelaide Festival' were Patrina, Amanda Fischer, Craig LeHoullier, Ted Maiden, Sue Bailey, Jessica Dubin, Bill Yoder, Doug Frank, and Lisa Moore. Released in 2014. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.Brandy Fred
Rosella Purple 75 days, dwarf — 'Rosella Purple' is similar to 'Cherokee Purple' in color, size, shape and flavor but on a dwarf growing plant. Regular leaf, dark green rugose foliage, stout central stem, grows to three to four feet in height. Perfect for a large container or a small garden space. The fruits are oblate, ranging from six to twelve ounces, and ripen to a deep purple-pink color. Flavor is full, intense, balanced and delicious.

'Rosella Purple' originated from a cross between 'Budai' (a small red fruited dwarf) and 'Stump of the World', made in 2006 by Patrina Nuske Small in Australia. A subsequent selection discovered by Craig LeHoullier led to 'Rosella Purple'. It was grown out to its ninth generation before being released, and is a quite stable open-pollinated variety, but still may produce the occasional off-type plant.

Others involved in its development are David Lockwood (Australia), Lee Newman, Dee Sackett, Paola Gelmetti, Linda Black, Susan Anderson, Patty Brown, Reinhard Kraft (Germany) and Bill Minkey

Yellow

Golden Gypsy 75 days, dwarf — The vigorous, rugose, potato leaf dwarf plants produce heavy yields of smooth, oblate, medium-yellow fruits with pale-yellow flesh. They range in weight from eight to eighteen ounces. The flavor is among the very best from the "Dwarf Tomato Project" varieties. It can be described as intense with a refreshingly distinct tang, and simply delicious.

'Dwarf Golden Gypsy' originated with a cross made between 'Golden Dwarf Champion' and 'Elbe' made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2006 and named "Tipsy." It was selected and named by Wendy Montanez. Others involved in the variety’s development were Carolyn Keiper, Craig LeHoullier, Wendy Montanez, Susan Dzejachok, Dee Sackett, Susan Oliverson, and Bill Minkey. Introduced for the 2016 gardening season. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.

Sweet Sue 80 days, indeterminate dwarf — 'Dwarf Sweet Sue' is a rugose, potato leaf dwarf that will reach from four to five feet tall by the end of the growing season, and produces variably shaped (round to oblate), smooth, bright yellow fruit in the five to eighteen ounce range. When very ripe, they take on a pronounced pink blossom end blush. The fruit have a well balanced, full, delicious flavor with particularly sweet overtones. 'Dwarf Sweet Sue' seems to be quite disease tolerant and one of the more prolific of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" varieties.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" as a selection out of the "Sneezy family" ('Golden Dwarf Champion' and 'Green Giant', cross made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2005). The tomato originated as a selection of 'Summertime Gold' and was found and named by Craig in 2007 after his wife, Susan (who loved the tomato and is very sweet!)

Primary work on 'Dwarf Sweet Sue' was done by Craig, David, Patrina, Michael Volk, and Susan Anderson, with additional help from Russell Pietzch (Australia), Stephanie Gernert, Martha Hufford, Ruth TenBrink, Paul Fish, and Carol Knapp. Ted Maiden did the finalizing work and seed propagation for is 2012 release. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.Awesome

Orange

Loxton Lad
70 days, dwarf — The vigorous, productive, rugose, regular leaf dwarf plants produce smooth, orange, oblate-shaped fruit that range between six to sixteen ounces in weight, with a well-balanced, delicious flavor. The fruit sizes of 'Loxton Lad' are generally larger than its cousin, 'Loxton Lass'.

This "Dwarf Tomato Project" variety originated with a cross between 'Rosella Purple' and 'Orange Heirloom' made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2009 and named "Rosy." 'Loxton Lad' was selected from this family and named by Patrina after a country town in a citrus growing river land region in South Australia. Involved in the development were Patrina, Doug Frank, Shawn Conant, Patrick Sullivan, Craig LeHoullier and Bill Minkey.

Introduced for the 2016 gardening season. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds

Blazing Beauty - 75 days, determinate dwarf — 'Dwarf Blazing Beauty' was the first orange variety released by the "Dwarf Tomato Project." Its plants are vigorous with rugose, potato leaves. The fruits are medium to medium large (four to fourteen ounces), smooth oblate and a deep orange color in and out. The flavor sparkles with an ample tart bite and is quite intense, very much resembling one of its parents, 'Elbe'.

Developed by members of the "Dwarf Tomato Project" from a cross between 'Golden Dwarf Champion' and 'Elbe', 'Dwarf Blazing Beauty' was the collaborative work of Patrina Nuske Small, Craig LeHoullier (who named it), John Schmuch, Amanda Fischer, Bill Yoder, Dee Sackett, Doug Frank, and Susan Oliverson. Introduced in 2014. Each packet contains approximately 20 seeds.

Red

Beauty King Wild Boar Beauty King Tomato

75-90 Days
Possibly one of the best looking and tasting, red and yellow bicolor striped tomatoes you'll ever try! Very sweet fruits can grow up to 20 ounces each and have meaty yellow flesh with bright red streaks. A cross between Big Rainbow and Green Zebra.

Paste
• Secret Sauce
• Sneaky Sauce
• Mariana Fire
Cherry
• Principe Borghese
• Maglia Rosa

Last edited by Shrinkrap; March 10, 2019 at 06:14 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote