Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
they make smoke generators, that pipe into the side of smokers ,which are good for cold smoking, also seen where you can make home made ones, just google it.---tom
I need one with a never ending hopper so I can leave it running 24/7.
I know they make them.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #32
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Located an electric smoker, with temp controls to use, I'm using cherry chips on the first batch. I've got plenty of pork butts cut up, ready to start the brat factory up early tomorrow.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #33
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Bacon wrapped tenderloins sound killer, hell yeah.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018   #34
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Are hot links considered a sausage? Are hotdogs a sausage? I'm just curious. I know I could Google them, but you all know better.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Are hot links considered a sausage? Are hotdogs a sausage? I'm just curious. I know I could Google them, but you all know better.
A hotlink is a sausage.
The industrialized thing they make hotdogs with they try to call a frankfurter or wiener is a far cry from a sausage but it is still considered sausage.

Worth
Old November 21, 2018   #36
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Bacon wrapped tenderloins sound killer, hell yeah.
I used to make all the loins/blackstrap into butterflied bacon wrapped filets, which are awsum! But my new favorite is bone in loin chops or venison lollipops as they are called here. There's something about leaving the rib attached that makes them even better.

Tenderloins or what we call "catfish" are small and are usually cooked whole or marinated medallions. IMO tenderloins are the best cut of the deer no matter how you cook them.

Last edited by pmcgrady; November 21, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old November 21, 2018   #37
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Ground 20# of deer burger (80% venison 20%beef trimmings )
20# maple breakfast sausage (10# of casing less links and 10# of bulk)
10# teriyaki/Hawaiian sticks (slim jims) only did 5# of them, in the smoker, ran out of time...
Old November 21, 2018   #38
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Slim jims are time consuming, hope they are worth it!
Old November 21, 2018   #39
encore
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Located an electric smoker, with temp controls to use, I'm using cherry chips on the first batch. I've got plenty of pork butts cut up, ready to start the brat factory up early tomorrow.
i use an electric smoker, and it takes so many degs. to get the wood to start to smolder, and the more the chips burn the hotter it gets, so can't really see how your going to cold smoke and keep it between 90 and 100 degs, ---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018   #40
encore
Tomatovillian™

unless the smoke box is seperate from smoker itself,
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018   #41
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=encore;719576]i use an electric smoker, and it takes so many degs. to get the wood to start to smolder, and the more the chips burn the hotter it gets, so can't really see how your going to cold smoke and keep it between 90 and 100 degs, ---tom[/QUOTE

Ran a 5# test of teriyaki sticks tonight, there is quite the learning curve on using one of these..
Film at eleven!

I tried wood chips I soaked in water overnight, and dry wood chips... Soaked chips produced smoke and turned black, and charred. Dry chips kinda sat there and didn't do anything.

Last edited by pmcgrady; November 21, 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old November 21, 2018   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been smoking some sausage last night and today and it is still smoking.

Last edited by Worth1; November 22, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old November 22, 2018   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ran into an old friend of mine couple weeks ago, he told me some harrowing tales about hunting a moose - and defending himself from a moose - with a bow and arrow.
You guys are doing great with the venison - I am impressed and glad to think of you prepping awesome eats on the holidays.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #44
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Fall is just around the corner, at least right after summer. Time to clean out the freezer some. Or rather, convert the remaining contents. We have been out of pastrami for a while and a couple weeks ago we ran out of deer burger. By "burger" I mean straight ground venison, which we use for spaghetti or anything else most people will use ground beef for. The bigger deer this year went toward bologna and italian sausage, so we didn't have our usual stock of deer burger. Plus I used a lot for summer sausage/ring bologna/pepperoni sticks. And my biggest does went to my brother's freezer for burger and bulk sausage.

I had seven hindquarters stashed away yet, yearling does or fawns. I kept two fawn quarters for steaks this summer and we thawed the other five.

From those five quarters we kept the choicest steaks to eat fresh for a few days, eye rounds and smaller sirloin tips. I took the next best "big" cuts for pastrami and set them to curing in the fridge. That was bigger sirloin tips, and some of the rear/lower muscles that I call the "round" and the "flat". The rest went for burger, and the scraps were coarsely ground for the dogs. Scrap is the trimmings, simply measured 2 cups per ziplock bag and right in the freezer. Each thawed bag gives the two dogs a half cup supplemental feed for two days. The leg bones were also given to the dogs or frozen to give them later.

Regarding round and flat...I don't even know if there are proper names...if the sirloin tip is the quad group, then the round and the flat make up most of the hamstring. I basically see the back leg as the rump above the joint, then the sirloin tip in front, eye round, the round, and the flat wrapped together, then the shank. There are some smaller groups in there, but not worthy of a name and they go for burger. The top of the round can be okay for steak on a fawn, but otherwise it's generally too tough, and the flat, the piece that tapers down like an axe head, is virtually always too tough and sometimes not that tasty. I've been cutting ten to twenty deer a year for a while now, and those are the names I've settled on.

So this pastrami, consisting mostly of bigger sirloin tips, rounds, and flats went in a fridge to cure two weeks back. Two days ago I used my new smoker for the first time, a masterbuilt electric, with cut up pear branches as chips and smoked it. Tonight we sliced it and vacuum sealed 10 packs for the freezer, while reserving a pile for the fridge.

Previous to this, I used a convection oven to bring the meat to 155F and then added liquid smoke at some point...I think during the rest period after cooking. The results with the smoker were bit different. In the smoker the bigger pieces took close 5 hours. I thought they were done and opened the door, but they were only about 140f. It took 2 more hours to get to 150f after that. If I do that again, I will pull the chip tray and finish them without additional smoke. They are REALLY smoky tasting. The smaller pieces were the second batch, and they only took maybe 2+ hours and taste more like previous batches made with liquid smoke. It would have been quicker and easier to truss the smaller pieces together to make them similar size to the larger pieces, and do it all in one batch. I think it would have worked out fine, and in 3 less hours overall.

I do plan to get a separate tray or tube for smoke generation. It seems a little iffy to have the cook heat and the smoke generator using the same heat source. I want to be able to cold smoke, so will probably buy or make a pellet/dust maze. But I can see this MES working as is just fine for about 180+.
Curing
Soaking
Batch 1 (big pieces 5 hours smoked, about like dried beef)
Hobart 410 set at about .050" per slice, with first and last slice at .100"
Batch 2 (fawns, look at that color, more like what I'm use to making)
Vacuum sealed, 1-2lb each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (198.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (260.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (166.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 07.JPG (196.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (154.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (164.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 14.JPG (199.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 15.JPG (173.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 16.JPG (177.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 17.JPG (186.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 19.JPG (178.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20.JPG (148.9 KB, 42 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019   #45
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Looks great!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote