Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 15, 2023   #1
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

Default Polish (Ellis) vs (Elles)?

I was reading through some old threads on peoples favorite pink tomatoes and i saw a post by Craig L stating he found "Polish (Ellis)" to be the same as "Stump Of The World". This comment peaked my interest so i went to Sandhill's site and noticed they have a pink tomato listed as "Polish (Elles)".

Does anybody know if that is the same tomato with a typo? I checked the tomatobase and didnt see the "Elles" version.
Old September 15, 2023   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It is most likely a typo or a variation of the same variety. Having grown Polish (Ellis), introduced by Bill Ellis, several times and Stump of the World even more often, I have never grown them at the same time. There are many varieties that are so similar one could be mistaken by the other.

Craig is so knowledgeable I would trust his opinion. Sounds like next year it will be a side-by-side experiment in my garden.

Of the fifteen "Polish" varieties listed in the variety bible on the Tatiana's Tomatobase, only one is Polish(Ellis). If you grow Ellis you will enjoy it I am sure. And Stump as well. I purchase seeds from Sandhill and the photo looks like an Ellis, so I am sure it is an Ellis.
Old September 15, 2023   #3
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

Stump is one of my favorite tomatos but I'm out of seeds and ive noticed that sandhill has not had stump available for a while... i think have to give Polish (Ellis) a try.
Old September 15, 2023   #4
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to see where he said this. I first grew Polish in 2017 and was disappointed. I read Craig's description of Polish in his Epic Tomatoes book and was convinced that the Polish he described and the one I grew was NOT the same. So I asked Craig for some of his seed and right off the bat thru germination and beyond there was a distinct difference. Long story short I've been growing Craig's version for the last 5 yrs and it became one of my all time favorites for taste & productivity. One year it produced 72 tomatoes. It's a winner for sure !

Dan
Old September 15, 2023   #5
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

Dan - Craigs comment is on a thread titled "help wanted with my 2012 pink tomato list" he also said on another thread that Polish is very similar to Stump and Brandywine.
Old September 15, 2023   #6
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

Polish is on my list for sure at this point!
Old September 16, 2023   #7
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I've been wondering the same thing about Polish Elles vs. Polish (Ellis). I don't know the answer, but my assumption is that they're the same tomato. Those names are just too similar, and I've noticed a few other typos/misspellings/name inconsistencies on Sandhill's site. I've been tempted to write or email Sandhill to ask, but whenever I get set to do it, I read their explanations about how horribly busy they are and it might take you months to get an answer, and I think I just don't want to add to their burden.

I purchased Polish Elles seeds a few years ago from Sandhill and finally got around to growing one plant this year. It has been great! Fairly early compared to the other heirlooms I grew, and it has produced well and steadily all summer. The tomatoes are beautiful, well-shaped without much catfacing or cracking, and delicious -- lots of flavor, not bland at all. I recommend it highly.

I've grown Stump two years. I think it's delicious, but the plants were hit hard by foliage disease both years. Also, they didn't set any fruit at all in the hot part of the summer, and they didn't come back with a fall surge of production after things cooled down. Polish Elles has been much healthier and more productive for me. I like the idea of growing them the same year to compare; maybe I'll try that.

I'll be sending Polish Elles seed in to the big swap this fall, so watch for it if you participate in that swap.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2023   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisol View Post
Dan - Craigs comment is on a thread titled "help wanted with my 2012 pink tomato list" he also said on another thread that Polish is very similar to Stump and Brandywine.
I went and looked that up and see what you're saying. I grow both SOTW and Polish and have for at least 5 yrs and I guess I would say the two are "similar" but I wouldn't say "the same". Polish gives me almost double the productivity of SOTW grown in exactly the same synthetic soil mix every year. And I can tell a difference in taste. That being said I highly respect Craig and his experience and opinion so I guess I'd have to ask him about his comment.
Old September 16, 2023   #9
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

If Polish is that much better of a producer and close to the same flavor as Stump sign me up!
Old September 17, 2023   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Ellis is pretty good but we like Stump more.
Old September 17, 2023   #11
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisol View Post
If Polish is that much better of a producer and close to the same flavor as Stump sign me up!
It is FOR ME in my growing conditions. Your mileage may very.
Old September 17, 2023   #12
Alfisol
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably going to grow it next to Brandywine SS next year.
Old September 18, 2023   #13
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing it along with Brandywine Cowlick's for the past few years and although Cowlick's is about the most productive pink Brandywine I always get more tomatoes from my Polish plant.
Old September 19, 2023   #14
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Gosh, you guys make me buy seeds.... guess I may have to try Polish Elles next year.

I liked Stump but stopped growing it as it would struggle with disease and didn't seem to like the heat - weather changes would result in the ugliest fruit.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2024   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've trialed all of the varieties in this thread. That's if Ellis is Elles.

My rankings from bottom to top; Polish, Polish Ellis, Polish C (once listed as just Polish), and well above the others - Stump of the World. SOTW is NOT one of the Polish varieties.

DR. LVE APPLE

(I haven't used that name in yeas)
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote