Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2006   #1
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Default Cottonseed Hulls

Has anyone used them as a mulch? And any advice? We have a gin in our area now and I got some. Trying them on my potatoes and around a few tomatoes. Also wondering how they will affect my soil when I work them in? Thought they were worth a try being they were cheaper. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006   #2
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Hey again, Elk.
Cottonseed hulls make a good mulch but break down very quickly, so you'd have to reapply more later. They are supposed to be a good source of nitrogen when turned under in the fall. You might want to put down a small amount of blood meal or other nitrogen before mulching as un-composted mulches can tie up a bit of the soil's nitrogen until they break down. There is a chance that they'll have pesticide residue, but these won't be at harmful levels. Organic gardeners tend to avoid them for this reason, though.
Old May 28, 2006   #3
Althea
Tomatovillian™

Cottonseed is acidic so it is best used for fertilizing acid loving plants. As Dave said, organic gardeners like me won't use conventionally grown cottonseed meal because of pesticide residues.
Old May 28, 2006   #4
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to you both for your input. I'm mixing it in with other mulch and won't actually till it under till this fall. Was asking before I used much more. I can get it reasonable here. But didn't want to add too much if it was going to be a problem. Can understand the pesticide concerns but you can find some of that in some hay. They do use lots on cotton. So just have to be careful. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote