Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2018   #361
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I grow two stems then prune to one. I only do that to increase my chances of getting the fused blossom I am after. I also think the extra foliage may help the root ball form in the early stages, then when it's pruned back the energy is diverted to the remaining portion of the plant.

It is in a 10 gallon container of pro mix, is getting feed 1700+ ppm 2.3 ec, pH 6.2
Do you have any that are really promising to be above 3 pounds growing? How can you tell?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #362
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
YES, how could I forget? I hope the ones pictured, at least one, preferably the fasciated one, is Colgar 100.

The problem getting big MF's is most crosses would involve a small fruited variety, and small fruit is dominant. But I think zipcode is thinking megabloom = King flowers. I'll have to see if I am growing anything with the f gene... I remember about 10 years ago growing Early Santa Clara, which either preceded Santa Clara Canner, or was SCC with the f gene. I just checked SCC/ESC and:

ESC = Cultivar probably originated in Italy, since 1890. Large, indeterminate plant, fruit very large, oblate, multiloculed, soft. Improvements by Canners League, UCD, Ferry Morse Seed Co. 3/2006: accession seg.s for anthocyanin deficiency.
"f" is a recessive gene, there were 15 accessions last time I checked, HOWEVER, there is also a version with a DOMINANT allele!

"Fruits many-loculed; phenotype more extreme than original allele of f; carpels unfused; dominant allele."
It showed up in at least a Guatamalan variety.

My money is on Riestomate!
Mark, I've done way too much Googling, etc.,this afternoon to try and clarify some issues,and glad I did since I remembered that Paco would send me the seeds and then followup with an e-mail describing them,which I also found.

I found only TWO multifloras amongst his Colgar ones

100 en Pm, de la Ribera, multiflora, very good taste, big nipple, de colgar. NO this is NOT the original one called just Ribera.

Colgar en Pom (ll-51),multiflora.

I have seeds for both of the above,I think 2016 seeds,If you want them PM me with your home address since I know I have it in my data book but don't want to spend time looking for it.

Now onto Santa Clara Canner which is going to be more difficult since I had to save the links to my faves,and transferring from there can sometimes be a problem

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1449

https://store.tomatofest.com/Santa_C..._p/tf-0445.htm

Someone in CA sent me the original one he got from Gary Ibsen all those years,yes I grew it,no way I have seeds anywhere but at least this last link clarifies for you the difference between the original SCC and modifications made to it.Which was your question.

Carolyn
Old June 27, 2018   #363
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Do you have any that are really promising to be above 3 pounds growing? How can you tell?
Maybe? The guys who are really into this measure the tomato then do some math, I just wait and weigh them. This is just for giggles for me, I grow tomatoes to sell.

It is time to put it in a sling and make a shade flap. It has been noted that the sun does not hasten ripening, but is instead temperature driven. I am not sure, so the flap and sling are both going on tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1954.jpg (302.3 KB, 202 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #364
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Mark, how old is your nice tomato, if you measure the circumference ,I'll guess at what it weighs,looking goood, is it about 3 weeks since pollination?
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #365
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Tiny is still growing with no blush yet. Another week and we will be getting into some good territory weight wise. I also have a couple of Big Zac selections, they are serious monster megabloom tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2028.jpg (317.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2029.jpg (259.8 KB, 160 views)
Old July 10, 2018   #366
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Looking good,keep her going! Did you ever measure the circumference?
Old July 10, 2018   #367
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Looking good,keep her going! Did you ever measure the circumference?
I have not. It is too flat to be anything worth getting excited over. It is basically a giant folded tomato. This variety tends to throw tomatoes that have a notable diameter, but they are not so thick. The two BZ's I have may be something to get excited about though.
Old July 10, 2018   #368
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Great,glad you have something that had possibilities, it's so interesting to see how different blossoms develop,depending on size shape etc,kinda like children, they are all so different, though from the same stock.
Old July 11, 2018   #369
maziuaf
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone
Anybody producing tomatoes from ratoon crop?
maziuaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #370
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

What is ratoon crop?
Old July 11, 2018   #371
maziuaf
Tomatovillian™

Indeterminate tomatoes can grow year by year if proper care and temperature is maintained.
After first season, when plant stem is still green but leaves dry due to high or low temperature, you can cut the stem of plant just leaving 1 feet above ground. Cover it with green net. This plant will start new sprouts/offshoots within one month. From there you can make new plants.
That is ratoon crop.
So you dont need new seed for next season.
Old July 12, 2018   #372
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

It won't work in my climate, way to cold.
Old July 12, 2018   #373
maziuaf
Tomatovillian™

But you can manage it by adding polythene sheat to creat green house effect
Old July 12, 2018   #374
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

It still would never work unless you actually provided a heat source.
Old July 12, 2018   #375
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maziuaf View Post
But you can manage it by adding polythene sheat to creat green house effect
I would not do that because of the risk of adding to disease potential. I have GH's and sanitize them every year. I think a fresh start every spring is best.

That is interesting though, and thanks for sharing those thoughts.