Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2016   #1
RwhideSmith
Tomatovillian™

Default Most Wanted Tomato

What is the most wanted tomato variety that you just have not been able to get seed for? The one you have heard so much about, and really want to try, but you just can't seem to find a seed source.
RwhideSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Getting seeds isn't a problem for me, but growing them. I have tried growing Paul Robeson twice and haven't got success. If anything, there are too many varieties.

I guess I want this dwarf hybrid:
http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co...um-update.html
http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co...dwfa-x-f2.html

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwhideSmith View Post
What is the most wanted tomato variety that you just have not been able to get seed for? The one you have heard so much about, and really want to try, but you just can't seem to find a seed source.
There's only one variety that Iv'e wanted,first saw a picture of it about 3 years ago, but the person wasn't giving out seeds,so lets say I lusted after it, and this past Fall she was moving and finally made a seed offer and now I have seeds and enough to list directly and it will go in my now horrendously late seed off here.

We named it together and it's called Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart.

Carolyn, who can't think of any varieties she can't find seeds for right now, trust her, she has more seeds than you can imagine, but ones she sourced,or were sent to her, hopefully new to all or most folks,for her seed offers..
Old March 23, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I want the one that tastes absolutely scrumptious, ripens early, is compact and disease resistant. I simply cannot find seeds for that one anywhere!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I could not think of one as most lusting is available....until just a minute ago....

Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart....(i love me hearts) : )
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #6
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Mark Twain would be mine as of now. I have the seeds but have not had any luck germinating them. I have already started them three times . First two times nothing. The third is yet to be determined. I'm sure I will have a new wanted tomato that is hard to find before to long. It's an ever changing curiosity.

-Zach
Old March 23, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Mark Twain would be mine as of now. I have the seeds but have not had any luck germinating them. I have already started them three times . First two times nothing. The third is yet to be determined. I'm sure I will have a new wanted tomato that is hard to find before to long. It's an ever changing curiosity.

-Zach
If perhaps your seed are no good there is an alternative source of seeds

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Tania herself is selling seeds for 2016.

But I will say that I've grown it and didn't think much of it at all,as something I had to have,and note Neil's comments at her page,good this good that,and that's way down on his list of adjectives.Yes,I know Neil very well,actually back to about about 1990, and more recently as one of my seed producers.

I don't need something that is similar to Rutgers,been there,we raised it on the farm where I was raised,lo those many years ago.

Carolyn
Old March 23, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Terrenzo and Bitonto have been my two favorite hybrids for containers so far. I was just looking at a brochure from the company in England that bred them:
http://www.provegseeds.com/images/Ca...ld-Version.pdf

I'd love to try all of those at the same time to pick out a new favorite.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

The one from Ilex photo #47 here + any tomato which is really Late blight not only tolerant, but resistant, prolific and tasty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwhideSmith View Post

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 23, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #10
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If perhaps your seed are no good there is an alternative source of seeds

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Tania herself is selling seeds for 2016.

But I will say that I've grown it and didn't think much of it at all,as something I had to have,and note Neil's comments at her page,good this good that,and that's way down on his list of adjectives.Yes,I know Neil very well,actually back to about about 1990, and more recently as one of my seed producers.

I don't need something that is similar to Rutgers,been there,we raised it on the farm where I was raised,lo those many years ago.

Carolyn

Thanks for the info Carolyn. I got the seeds in a trade last year. So far all of the seeds from that person have had poor germination. I would buy more seeds now but it is starting to get to close to planting time. So I might need to save variety for next year.

-Zach
Old March 23, 2016   #11
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Negral ... black beefsteak from Murcia selected for very late season. Planted in August for very late harvest. Cool wet tolerant, PL.

Got a tomato to get seeds. After growing about 50 plants haven't found a single true to type plant.

Anybody wants to try? The other parent is, I think, a cherry hybrid. Many colors, great to amazing flavour and wet resistant. Great material to select. Black should come in following generations.

I don't have time to keep trying and it would be a shame to loose this material
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2016   #12
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

There were 2 varieties I was having trouble finding, Altajskij Urozajnij and Russian Rose. Then Al@NC came to the rescue with this thread. There they were!

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=tomatoeden

Steve

(ps: I ordered a couple of days ago. PayPal didn't come up while ordering, but a link to pay was sent in an e-mail the next day.)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2016   #13
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post

-Zach

I checked them today. I had 3 seeds germinate. So I potted them (the third time I pre germinated them in baggies) here's to hoping they continue to grow.

What's my next 'Most Wanted tomato???

-Zach
Old March 24, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am looking to find my perfect tomato;
=== Red (dark pink) , EARLY/MID season ( DTM 65 - 75), Det or compact indet (under 5ft), to do well in cool climate
=== To taste sweet/slight tangy, be meaty yet juicy, fruit size 10 to 15 oz, boat shaped with some ribbing, w/ NO cracks, no splitting, NO BER
=== to be fairly productive : I'll live with 20 lbs + per plant.
=== to be fairly disease resistant to most foliage /air born diseases.
I WOULD ALSO LIKE IN GOLDEN/ORANGE AND PURPLE colors with the above description.
wanted, wanted, wanted.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2016   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I got a Spanish tomato Extremeño with him were attributed to "the best tomato in the world." That is enough for me, not looking for anything else.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote