Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 24, 2017   #15
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Are those toilet paper rolls for sowing or to protect from some sort of critter?
Cutworm collars. The Internet told me that cutworms love favas. But now that I've seen how thick fava seedlings are even from the moment they break the surface of the soil, I think maybe the collars might not have been necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Mine were planted just a few weeks earlier and they're only a few inches bigger. We had some warm weather and the soil temp is 56 degrees. It will no doubt go down to 50 again as its going to be cold thru next week. Aren't they a cool season crop?
Yes, they're a cool season crop. Mine were planted pretty soon after the ground thawed from the last snowstorm that blew through here. They took a while to come up, even with the rather warm spring we'd been having (although lately it's gone back to more normal temps on the cool side).

So I'd been hoping they would do what cool weather crops do and have some pods to harvest before I absolutely have to put the summer crops in. But it really doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

This is my first year trying to have spring crops, and they're all kind of slow. My lettuce is teeny tiny still.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote