Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 20, 2015   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default still thinking about a greenhouse...

OK enablers: we're thinking about getting a small greenhouse. I'd love to grow tons of seedlings to sell for a community garden fund-raiser, along with the 50 or so I have room to plant. I'm sort of leaning toward a couple of those Big Lots plastic-covered frames (because I want to use it for my seedlings THIS year), and my partner is leaning toward a kit for a larger one (we have space for a 6x8, at least).

The weather has been wonderful for working outdoors, so far, and if we were to get the larger greenhouse, we'd have to do a bunch of projects first:
1. dig a couple of swales to redirect rainwater away from the house and garage
2. move 3 compost bins
3. create a solid, level foundation for the greenhose
4. build the thing, preferably in an afternoon (or at most a weekend)

So I'm looking for reasons to go one way or another. Have you successfully used the plastic-covered frames outdoors? The place they'd go is in bright shade most of the day, rather than seedling-roasting full sun. Do you have a kit greenhouse that you built in an afternoon and that you can recommend?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

From what I read, people hate those plastic-covered shelves. They blow away in the wind.

How's your carpentry skills and tool collection? It's not that hard to frame a sturdy structure out of 2x4s. If it were me, I would build it out of metal galvanized conduit or top rail. You can connect 1 3/8" chain link top rail using 1.5" conduit elbows.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
From what I read, people hate those plastic-covered shelves. They blow away in the wind.

How's your carpentry skills and tool collection? It's not that hard to frame a sturdy structure out of 2x4s. If it were me, I would build it out of metal galvanized conduit or top rail. You can connect 1 3/8" chain link top rail using 1.5" conduit elbows.
My partner is willing to build something if we have a definite plan with pictures, detailed instructions, and a list of supplies. Hmm. Where can I find some good plans?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You can search google for "free greenhouse plans" and you will find more than you can ever consider. There are a million and one ways to build a greenhouse.

Here are some simple plans for what is basically a 2x4 shed:
http://gardenplansfree.com/greenhous...enhouse-plans/

Cover it with clear material, and it's a greenhouse. If it were me, I would make the back end of it have double doors or big windows so you can open them and let the breeze blow through to vent the hot air.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #5
JCDANCERS
Tomatovillian™

Go to harbor freight and do not forget your 20% off coupon. You will be surprised.
JCDANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #6
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Those Big Lots one barely last a season, with the plastic shrinking so the doors don't close.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are some things I would like you to consider from experience building things.
1. Don't limit your time doing it.
Take your time and do it right, even if it takes a few weekends or evenings.
2 Smaller but better is better than bigger but cheaper.
3 Know your skill level and be honest with yourself.
4 If at all possible use polycarbonate panels.
5 Do you and your partner work well together?
6 No one couple is good at the same things.
You may be batter at measuring and your partner may be better at putting things together.
I have a very good friend that I used to work with.
I did all of the bidding, planning, purchasing parts, measuring and bending conduit.
He did all of the parts gathering and putting in the supports and installing the stuff.
We could literally read each others minds and many times we would say the same thing at the exact same time.
People found it weird.
We usually put in projects at about 50% of the time allowed for the bid.
7 Will you have an HOA nosing around?
8 Do you have all of the tools you need.
9 Have a list of materials and get them so you wont be stopping the project for some little thing you forgot.
10 Decide on a plan and stick with it.
11 Go with standard sizes so you wont have very much waste.
12 Spend as much money wisely as you can afford.
13 Do you really need a green house?
14 Stay away from cheap greenhouse kits, in my opinion you pay for what you get.
15 Time is running out for this year, you need to get started now.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #8
JCDANCERS
Tomatovillian™

Did I say Big Lots??? Harbor Freight has one 6' x 6' for $99 less 20%. You can check online. I am on my second year with mine. Working great. You do have to be careful with zipper.
JCDANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I will add this link. I built one like this for cheap and its easy enough for most anyone to do. It may get you what you need until you can build something more permanent. the DIY greenhouse tutorial begins about 11 mins in. Good luck and happy gardening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovR-OZlul3w

Last edited by BigVanVader; January 21, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2015   #10
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
.... Have you successfully used the plastic-covered frames outdoors? The place they'd go is in bright shade most of the day, rather than seedling-roasting full sun.
I have used the cheap plastic covered frames successfully for several years. I put them on a dolly or wheels to easily move in/out of the garage in winter. Put 1 gallon water jugs on the bottom shelf and it won't easily blow over. Very easy to insert a desk lamp or shop light if freezing conditions are expected.

I leave the door open facing north with row cover or shade cloth on the top and outside. Turn door south for hardening off. When the sun deteriorates the vinyl, you can re-cover with heavy duty vinyl sheet and secure to the frame with PVC hoop house clips or large binder clips.

With the door open, I can fit 3 1020 trays on each shelf (I usually only use 2 shelves per unit for plants).

I only need to use them for about a dozen weeks a year. Then put them out of the way.

Hope this helps,
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote