Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old June 3, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default growing under glass

For those of you that want to try a bit of D.I.Y. the very best greenhouse I have ever come accross in all aspects is the detailed plans in the book ( Organic Tomatoes-the inside story) by-Terry Marshall.

The designs incorperate a scientific approach to the angles of the sun on the glass at different times of the day-to give maximum light and heat to the plants-light being the most important.

And apparently-if you get the angles right you can expect a forty percent increase in crop size.

Terry Marshall is involved with Organic growing with the H.D.A in england and has several degrees in the subject.

Quite apart from that the book is well worth reading for its other values and advice- some of which is absolutly amazing- especialy on root growth in pots using a special organic mix- to me there seems to be more roots than compost-it has to be seen to be believed.

( Just edited this post) - I somehow slipped up as I meant to post it in the (greenhouse Forum post at the bottom of the page, Dunno- how it got here ?? must have clicked the wrong subject line.-sorry.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael, I'd definately like to trade my seeds for this book! :wink:

http://freespace.virgin.net/yks.org/wyog24.html

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #3
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Ok Andrey I will see what I can do, it will definatly be the best book you ever read, I will let you know when it is available to post to you.
Old June 7, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Michael, thanks for the tip about that book. Just e-mailed my very good English buddy to pick me up a copy and mail it to me as I could not find it online. I presume it is published in the UK?

I have over 20 books that relate to growing tomatoes and could always use another one.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

MsCowpea, if you look at Andrey's link above-it will take you straight to it. - hope you like the book when you finaly obtain a copy, it will change your views and life on tomato growing almost overnight, the only thing in the whole book you might not be able to obtain is the special compost from the West Riding yorkshire compost company, made up of a phenominal type of peat that is filtered out of the water filters on a mountain stream, something happens to the peat particles and grains on their way down the stream and they change their molecular structure somehow and pick up various electrolytes etc, the result is an absolutly phenominal root growth in tomato plants ( pictoral evidence in the book ) the roots appear to be nearly bursting out of their five inch pots- in fact there is more root than compost -its that good, almost like the root system you get on pure hydroponic culture, I have never quite seen anything like it before-fantastic.

all this was discovered by accident as they are realy a water treatment company- and they discovered these peat particles clogging up their filters accross the stream, it was then discovered at a later date that this partucular form of peat had phenominal root growth properties, and also it was totaly sustainable as it was a natural product of nature rather than being dug out of peat beds.

But the greenhouse construction details are also superb as the design is such that it allows the maximum amount of light levels possible all year round-by angling the glass at the right angles and facing in the right direction in relation to the sun etc-it is a thoroughly tried and tested method that has shown an increase in tomato yield to be massive by comparison to other designs and models either commercial or D.I.Y.

It also covers a wide variety of tomatoes of every type, size, and flavour.

But you might be able to get a close substitute to the Mountain Gold peat in the USA, If not- I might be able to supply anyone interested with small 5lb bags of it shipped over, for their very special tomato seeds or plants, or larger amounts up to 56lbs bags sent by sea mail (about five weeks ) as a one off / or two off at the most, as a special favour- at cost price- for the sheer love of the game and enthusiasm.

I personaly only use it for my special tomatoes of the type and variety I only have a very small amount of-that I want to ensure maximum success with because of their rarity etc, it gives them a tremendous boost, and very often in my case it determines the difference between success and failure for that season and not having to wait for next season in order to try again.
Old July 18, 2006   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I hate to butt-in; but this one is pretty easy too:

For Backyard Nursery Growers: Cattle Panel Hoophouse http://www.middlecity.com/backyard/hoophouse.shtml

Robin
Old December 18, 2006   #7
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

The only problem with plastic covered greenhouses-is that they dont last, and cost much more to maintain than a properly built greenhouse.

The first real strong wind and storm and you could see your greenhouse ripped to shreds.

I have made three in the past and spent more time out there with a roll of greenhouse sealant tape than i care to remember, perched on ladders in all sorts of precarious positions struggling to repair it.

on a really good one- you can expect three seasons at the most-with lots of repairs in between.

whilst a good wood and glass or clear plastic sheets in place of glass- you can expect 15 to 20 years of low maintenance service.
Old January 14, 2007   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Michael-I would really like to see your greenhouse setup-any chance you can post photos? I would be interested in any differences in greehouses in the UK vs the USA. Thanks.

All the best.