Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 27, 2011   #1
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Default bolting shallots- can the bulbs be saved and replanted?

I planted some Ambition shallot seed (F1) from Territorial last fall, hoping for an early crop. I also planted in the spring, as usual. The spring planted crop is in excellent shape, but the fall planted seeds, which germinated and overwintered well, all (100%) bolted. I removed the spathes as soon as they appeared but left the scapes, thinking that that would force bulb development. The result is sort of half-and-half, a bulb and a scape in one.
Does anyone have experience with vegetative reproduction of shallots? I am thinking of harvesting and drying what I have, then planting the bulbs to see if they will produce usable bulbs next year (or later this year). Any input would be appreciated. Dave
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespitzer View Post
Does anyone have experience with vegetative reproduction of shallots? I am thinking of harvesting and drying what I have, then planting the bulbs to see if they will produce usable bulbs next year (or later this year). Any input would be appreciated. Dave
Ambition shallots that I have grown are from seed. Started early and finished in Sept.
I found one left in ground from last year, it also bolted, so I'm saving the seed for next year.
If you can find sets, they should be planted in the spring for late harvest. Trying to over winter these will always bolt to seed in the spring.
There are some types of shallots which can be wintered over, normally the purple types.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #3
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your reply Beeman. Essentially what I have are sets, just bigger than normal with part of a scape. It's late in the year, but I will try drying them and planting for a fall crop. I don't think they'll last until next spring, they seem to go south pretty fast.
If your bolted plant is an Ambition it's an F1 hybrid, will the seed come true?
Old June 28, 2011   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespitzer View Post
If your bolted plant is an Ambition it's an F1 hybrid, will the seed come true?
Not sure. I will still buy my normal seed and proceed with caution on the saved seed from the bolted plants. Can't risk a whole years crop just to save a few cents.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2011   #5
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

When all was said and done I got usable, if small, bulbs from all of the bolted plants. They are about the size of my gray shallots, about 10% of the size of the same variety (Ambition) planted in spring, but are very tasty and should be salable. Live and learn. Dave