Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2018   #1
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Default Where can I find Mat-Su Express?

Anyone know where I can get some Mat-Su Express seeds?
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I would ask AKmark.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #3
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That variety was developed by AKMark, but Marsha had it in her seed offer this year that closed not that long ago. I would ask one of those guys.

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #4
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I did PM Mark but I was wondering if I could buy it from a seed place online.

Mark might be busy and I want some for an April 1st planting.

I have seeds from Joseph and I am working on a landracer of my own sorta and Mat-Su would be welcome to this pollen party.

Ain't no party like a tomato landrace party because a landracer party don't stop!
Old March 23, 2018   #5
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

In effect growing Mat-Su would be like growing Bloody Butcher and Brandywine Sudduth at the same time. Not exactly, but the traits of early and big flavor are there and I want this tomato.

Mat-Su you are invited to this show if you want a part!

I'll trade for it. I'll send cash for it. I'll write a poem for Mat-Su. Heck I'll even send you some of my coveted seeds that Joseph sent me if you can get me approx 5 or 6 Mat-Su seeds. I'd like one Mat-Su at each end of the garden so the beautiful dna might cross.

Yah and Thanks Joseph for sending me down this wonderful road of landracery.
Old March 23, 2018   #6
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I also really want to eat the fruits too. Lol...hidden agenda kinda thang..
Old March 23, 2018   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

PM me your address, and I will mail you some seed, no money required.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I grew it as my second crop last season.but somehow did not well for me. I am growing it again but this time as my first crop. I hope it does well this time around

BTW I have grown Bloody Butcher couple of years ago. It was one of my eatly varieties. It tasted good but i discontinued it because of small fruit size. Noe if Mat-Su is a cross between BB and Brandywine then it should have bigger fruits. I hope so. I am also growing BW Sudduth and Brandy Boy. I should do a versus on them.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #9
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I grew it as my second crop last season.but somehow did not well for me. I am growing it again but this time as my first crop. I hope it does well this time around

BTW I have grown Bloody Butcher couple of years ago. It was one of my eatly varieties. It tasted good but i discontinued it because of small fruit size. Noe if Mat-Su is a cross between BB and Brandywine then it should have bigger fruits. I hope so. I am also growing BW Sudduth and Brandy Boy. I should do a versus on them.
I've grown Fourth of July tomato and I loved it. I was gonna grow it again but I read about Bloody Butcher and wanted to try it but I already have some smaller tomato varieties and then I learned about Mat-Su and I simply must have it for a couple of reasons.

1) Earliness

2) I've always liked the texture of Brandywine but thought the flavor reminded me of the clear part of a watermelon rind. You know the part you don't eat but as a kid you might have nibbled on it in sadness of the disappearance of the sweet red fruit. I imagine if the Bloody Butcher flavor can across that wonderful juicy texture of the Brandywine we are gonna have a garden darling.

3) Sorta playing around with landracing(inspired by Joseph) and I don't want any late varieties around to cross but Mat-Su would be a beefsteak type that could fit the mission statement.

Thank You Mr Cole Robbie!
Old March 23, 2018   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome. I just packed your seeds. They will go out tomorrow.
Old March 23, 2018   #11
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I'm germinating Matsu myself, I've grown Bloody Butcher for several years and I have to have it every year..

I'm pretty hyped up about Matsu also:
Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #12
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Cole bruh I'm so stoked! How can I repay you?! I felt really selfish a couple hours after I posted this thread and thought I should have been legit and got in on the seed offers. I actually thought I could buy seeds somewhere from like Victory or some other cool place.

And then I remembered there is a forum for seed requests and I felt a little more out of place but I got my little way!

I managed to secure two silver dimes to get seeds from Joseph and he was very generous in that sent 4 varieties instead of 2 which would have been fair per the amount of silver I sent him.

I did order Kosovo from Victory.

And 2mnyrzs here at Tomatoville graciously sent me Dirty Girls.

And I got the weird cross of probably Rose De Berne and something from Marc!

I'm got enough pots to start 92 plants April 1st.

I can push around 18 plants into the garden so I'm gonna spread the love and give plants to friends and family.

I will not be sharing Mat-Su this year though. That one I'm gonna be particularly greedy with until I get to save some seeds for next year!

This is like a dream come true year for me. I've been reading Joseph posts for years and also reading about Mat-Su and wanting to grow it for years. And the Dirty Girl OP I've wanted for years since reading about it.

I'm not gonna deliberately cross anything but I sure won't mind if the pollen gets flung all over the place of you know what I mean.

I only wish I had more garden space...
Old March 24, 2018   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mat-Su Express was a gift to me from AKMark. If you like it and do save seeds, then feel free to share it with others yourself. That is the only repayment necessary.
Old March 25, 2018   #14
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Just saw this post and I see you already have some seed sent. Cole Robbie sent me seed last year and I saved seed from that. I really like this tomato A LOT!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote