Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 20, 2017   #1
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Paul Robeson: Breakfast of Champions?

Taste profile was a bit flabby—lacking in acidity—but I wonder if exposure to temperatures in the 30s and 40s (F) caused that. This was aimed at a Fall garden but dragged on through the Winter and into and out of the house a few times in a container.

The asparagus, basil, dusting of hot chile, and marjoram are from the yard, too, but that won't surprise any of y'all.

---
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Paul Robeson is a good producer. I grew it once and have ordered some seeds for this year.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #3
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Looks good. PR was one of our favorites last year
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #4
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

It had little to no acidity for me, which I prefer. It's probably the best tasting beefsteak I've tasted so far.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing it was your growing conditions. A portable container for a PR? Mine get way too big for that, but I guess it could work, just not ideally suited for that and it could of had much to do with your fruit not tasting like it should.

PRs just need to be sliced and eaten - they don't need salt or pepper or anything else - then you will know what one taste like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post

Taste profile was a bit flabby—lacking in acidity—but I wonder if exposure to temperatures in the 30s and 40s (F) caused that. This was aimed at a Fall garden but dragged on through the Winter and into and out of the house a few times in a container.

The asparagus, basil, dusting of hot chile, and marjoram are from the yard, too, but that won't surprise any of y'all.

---
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The first few fruits may not be full-flavored, perhaps due to the cold. Give it a chance because I think that the flavor will improve for you and blow you away....
Old March 20, 2017   #7
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

I'm also in the cold temps effect taste camp, but equally important, what was the taste test on the Fancy Lawnmower?Which I would think would be better in cold temps
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #8
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I don't think you will get acidity out of Paul Robeson.It didn't like the late July and August weather here last year but when it got better weather in September it was one of the best tasting tomatoes I ever ate.In the same league as Cherokee Purple.Just wish it grew a little better here.Taste I would describe as sweet, rich and tropical.Now I'm thinking about starting some late seeds of PR
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I completely missed the Fancy Lawnmower in the picture. My attention was on the tomato..

I need help
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Is Fancy Lawnmower St. Patrick? Looks like he's got Guinness in his hands...

As to Paul Robeson, it was not quite that juicy when I grew it. Perhaps the location was too hot/dry, but other black varieties didn't seem to mind that..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

PR should be delicious. I have read many different criticisms of it, like lateness and low yield, but never poor flavor.

The only two darks that have equaled PR for me in flavor are Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate, which is half PR, and the saladette-sized Bola Maciza.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #12
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the fine replies. I'm glad we can talk, too, on our photo threads.

The cold made me wonder since temperatures did reach refrigerator level a few times, and we're advised to not refrigerate tomatoes.

I figured folks would object to the adulterants added to the plate, but I did taste the naked fruit first.

The plant is in the ground now. The container made it possible to bring the plant indoors during the few freezes.

Quote:
Give it a chance . . .
Oh, I am, having bought duplicate seed packs of this variety, plus, I have clones that rooted out in under a week standing in a narrow wine glass of rainwater.

Quote:
. . . St. Patrick?
Saint Arnold.

Description of this beer seems spot-on. I'd take it fishing and pair it with fish and tomatoes. Doesn't hurt that it's regional and often priced at $7.99.

The tomato made me curious about its namesake, whom I listened to sing and speak via archived videos. I learned he pronounced his name in two, not three, syllables, and that he had a smooth singing voice, big, bold speaking voice, and a courageous heart.

---
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

... "gone are the days.." My Dad is a musician and that's why I grew this one for him some years ago.. he loved the connection.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #14
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Paul Robeson was the best tomato I ever ate too, when I grew it in So Cal. In your face wow flavor. Definitely not low acid flavor. Temps in the 40s and below will do that. Haven't grown it yet in Oregon because I don't have seeds anymore.