Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 24, 2017   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yeah, I got the email - Linda is leaving a great legacy, and it will be interesting to see how the company moves on post-Sapp era. In the 1980s there was Southern Exposure, Seeds Blum, the Tomato Seed Company (from Metuchen NJ - they had loads of varieties, one of the best companies that featured heirlooms early on) - and Tomato Growers Supply. TGSC established themselves at a critical time for the growing availability of superb tomato varieties...
Old December 24, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Whenever I think of TGS and the Sapps, I always think of the superstar cherry tomato they developed -- Black Cherry.

That one tomato is a heckuva legacy.
Fred,it was her now departed husband Vince,a lawyer, who bred that and when it was first listed for sale many bought the seeds I did as well, now that I remember.

I asked Linda what the parents were, making some suggestions, but no,she wasn't talking.

They did the first seed production themselves and those who got seeds had a terrible time getting them to germinate.It turned out that they had included immature seeds,but hadn't realized it.

But once you got a plants up and saved seeds and regrew it,all was well.

I think she apologized for that and offered a new pack of seeds for no charge for anyonewho requested it.

That would certainly be like Linda to do that and she's had to do it several times when something didn't turn out to be what It should be.

With the hybrids, no problem, but with the OP tomatoes she had to contract out and I could list the places she sent starter seeds for that, but won't do that.

But last I knew she was working with Aaron Whaley in Wisconsin son of Kent Whealy, and was more than pleased that he and his workers were producing great seeds.

Fred,I think you are still working with Aaron for seed production as well,you were last time I went to his website/

Carolyn
Old December 24, 2017   #18
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Aaron does a great job, and is a great person to do business with.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #19
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry has always been the healthiest and most reliable plant in my garden.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #20
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great company...I'll be placing another order soon.
Old December 27, 2017   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As I posted earlier,I did what I decided to do and called TGS today to reach Linda.

The person who first answered knew me and said long time no talk to and how are you doing, and said I know you aren't calling for seeds,you are calling for Linda,so hold on and I'll see if I can transfer you and she did.

And we had a great talk, we really did, she explained where the new owners were from and actually via some grapevine she had said she wanted to sell,interviewed several and chose these two.No I didn't ask for their names or where they were from,but she did indicate at least where they were from.

She said she didn't know where things for her would go next, but also said she would be back in the office to help the new folks when needed. And when asked who it was who first answered the phone she told me her name. And she said she would always know where she was if needed and said that yes,the staff will remain the same.There's more, but I got her laughing when I said two things. First that I guess she wouldn't be knitting hats for newborns and what a memory when I told her that I never bought seeds from her but had sent her many since she first started back in 1989.

And I asked her if she remembered the seeds I did ask her for, just once, and with no hesitation at all she said those two packs of Dr.Carolyn seeds that you needed ASAP since the summer before photography was to be done I had planted many varieties that I thought might work for the book but couldn't find the Dr.Carolyn seeds..

And I casually mentioned that her southern drawl was much better than when she first started. She had my contact info and I asked her for hers since when I sent my Lawson cards out for Xmas hers were reported back as not deliverable.

I also said I was more than willing to keep sending new varieties for trial, then she sends them to Aaron in WI for seed production,and has been more than pleased with what she gets back and Fred Hempel said the same thing.

All for now,

Carolyn, where it's biting cold and will be for the next 6 days.