Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 24, 2018   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default 2018 Stinkbug Report.

I had one tomato with stinkbug damage and didn't see hardly any all year.
What has been your situation with these nasty things this year?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I've cleaned off a few egg cases, and an immature or two, but so far is just early in the season.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #3
KCinNC
Tomatovillian™

I don't normally see many here until the last half or so of the season.
What insecticides are effective against them? If I need to spay insecticide, I normally use eight for my tomato plants and have sprayed with Captain Jack's ( spinosad ) but don't think either is listed as effective on stink bugs.
Sevin?
KCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I had a few, but managed to mostly keep them away. The ones I had were excellent flyers and quite quick, so killing them was a real challenge! They seemed to have quite enjoyed Pink Berkeley Tie Dye. Of all the tomatoes, a few of those were the only ones really bitten up. Now, I've got a night creature that is enjoying full grown but still green tomatoes. Could be possum or even racoon. Pretty sure it isn't a rat as I'm dealing with them. So far, not too many eaten, so, I'm not flipping out yet.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am still killing the ones that wintered over IN my house.
Old June 25, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
I don't normally see many here until the last half or so of the season.
What insecticides are effective against them? If I need to spay insecticide, I normally use eight for my tomato plants and have sprayed with Captain Jack's ( spinosad ) but don't think either is listed as effective on stink bugs.
Sevin?
I don't know of any insecticides that are effective. I used to see them occasionally where I used to grow tomatoes

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.yJLNH3RNixM

But not where I am now. The following link might help.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...o-tomatoes.htm

I considered it to be mainly a cosmetic problem, since where they bite the area becomes sunken and under it is a hard white area where their toxin has killed the tomato tissue.

So what I would do ASAP was to just dig out the area with a small spoon,it usually would scar over,that's fine with me since I was a home grower,not a commercial farmer.

Also adding that they seemed to prefer almost ripe tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2018   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Benn pulling mine at the very first sing of blush.
BUT I just dont see many at all this year.
Not like in years past.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #8
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Keeping my eye for the varmints... Just sprayed today in the hopes of deterring them and flipping over the leaves for any signs of eggs.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #9
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

They will be along here later this summer?
Old June 26, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

They certainly haven't been as bad this year as any of the past four years but they did manage to ruin a few tomatoes with too many stings. I use tha same mix for stink bugs that I use for spider mites and it really does kill them. A mix of Permethrin, food grade DE and Dawn dish washing liquid.

I mixed a batch up, strained it and sprayed my garden day before yesterday in hopes of removing the stink bugs and spider mites. I have not seen spider mite damage yet in the garden but I am sure they are already starting up on some of the plants due to the weather we are having and the fact that they ruined a bunch of tomato seedlings in my greenhouse and on the hardening off table. I hope I got good coverage and will not have to deal with a sudden outbreak of spider mites this year and at the same time reduce the number of stink bugs, leaf footed bugs and flea beetles dramatically.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad I sprayed for spider mites early this time. When I was out pruning and supporting my plants this morning I found quite a few plants with symptoms that showed spider mites had been on them. I think the spray got them or at least most of them because I saw no signs of live mites today but I'm sure they will show up again. I think from now one as soon as we have a week of unbearably hot weather I will give my tomato plants a spray for spider mites. It sure has helped this season and since they almost always show up by the second of third week of extremely hot weather unless it is raining frequently, it just makes sense to me. Besides there are always stinkbugs or leaf footed bugs about the same time and no bees on the tomatoes by then. Now if I can just remember to do it next year.

Bill
Old July 18, 2018   #12
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

I've not seen too many this year. I saw one batch of eggs today when pruning the tomatoes. A few years ago we had them everywhere.

Now squash bugs on the other hand.... I could make an omelette with all the darn eggs.
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanInVa View Post
I've not seen too many this year. I saw one batch of eggs today when pruning the tomatoes. A few years ago we had them everywhere.

Now squash bugs on the other hand.... I could make an omelette with all the darn eggs.
I too have seen more squash bugs this year than in the past. They really did a number on my cucumber and squash leaves but didn't seem to reduce production too much despite all the spots. Actually my plants lasted a bit longer than usual this year but now they are done. Nematodes finally got my cucumbers and SVB finally killed my squash plants.

Bill
Old August 11, 2018   #14
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

The stink bugs are coming on strong here now.
Old August 11, 2018   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am seeing a few but hardly any damage to the tomatoes.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote