Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 8, 2011   #16
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

> I never thought of aluminum foil, great idea!

Just a warning, I wouldn't recommend using foil. It's actually not all that reflective and the more reflective side can burn the plants (worse cause fires!!) because it can cause hot spots. Much better to go with the Mylar or something like it.

I'm glad you found the threads useful. I sure did. I think you're well ahead of me having the seedlings in hand an soil, etc. I'm still waiting on all the seeds I traded on to show up. So much to do, and then the long wait...
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
standard fluorescent light fixtures work very well for my indoor tomato plants. There is no need to buy expensive things to get your tomato plants going, especially if you can supplement with natural light during the day.

Tania
And you use them for fully growing plants too? I always thought they were just for seedlings. That might be a good idea too because I'm not sure I have enough lights...depends on how they do once they really start growing.

ZWD, my lights won't be running hot, so I'm not sure foil would burn the plants, but I will definately look into the Mylar as well. Someone else on one of those threads you provided also mentioned those inexpensive emergency blankets? I have one in my car kit .... of course the day I take it out I'll get stuck in snow somewhere for hours ...

I wanted to start this project now to take advantage of natural light early on and also because in my zone, I have 7 months from first frost to last frost. My growing season is shorter here so I figure it will probably take 4 months from seed to start getting (if I get!) tomatoes on a few and it would be really nice to have a fresh tomato or two in January when days are so dark and long!

This is going to get out of hand. Last night I ordered a few seeds online for some very early tomatoes because most of what I already have is mid-late season seeds. Where will I put all these ?
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

lakelady,

I use my setup primarily for seedlings and for growing mini-tomatoes (like Floragold Basket, Micro Tom, and similar). I occasionally use it in the fall when I bring the containers with pepper plants inside, so they can continue ripening peppers.

Keep in mind that my lights are in a completely dark (laundry) room, so there is no supplemental natural light.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2011   #19
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Tania, the only light your plants get is from that artificial light and it is enough to induce flowering and fruit indoors? wow. It will be interesting to see, since I didn't plant all dwarfs, how the combination of artificial and natural light affect the plants and which ones do best there. I'm even putting a "current" sized tomato plant in a regular old hanging basket in the window to see what happens to it, and if it grows and fruits.

My sons are already complaining about how the light in the living room bay window (I set it up to test and put the seedlings under today) is interefering with their television viewing lol... TOO BAD I pay the bills around here !
Old September 11, 2011   #20
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Lakelady - Welcome to the adiction! I went from about 30 to over 150 varieties of tom seeds in under a year once I got on the forums. I now have so many that, given my limited space and age, I am not at all sure I can try them all before I'm outa here! And yet, I am lusting for MORE! Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2011   #21
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Addiction is right! I spent a good 45 minutes last night at a party talking about tomatoes to a group of adults and convinced several of them to take some extra dwarfs and buy a grow light for them! (I have more seedlings than I can really use)
Old September 13, 2011   #22
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

just noticed this thread and thought I would add what I use for seed starting. I found a great 3'x6' 4 shelf all chrome wire rack from Costco for $24. It would have been better if it was 4' but couldn't pass up on the price. then I added 2ea. 4' shop lights from Home Depot for $10. ea. later I found I needed two more so I got $40. invested in shop lights. I scrounged an old oil type heater with a wheel broken off wheel for free. This setup works amazingly well. The rack allows for the hanging of the shop lights at any place and the chains that come with the lights allow me to raise and lower as needed. And the whole set up cost less than $70.
I am watching with interest how you all do with indoor tomatoes through the winter, this would be great if it works!
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2011   #23
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Just got my LED light in the mail last night. I also have the caster wheels and mylar roll. Now all I need is (i) the rack I ordered forever ago on Amazon (Mike, I wish it only cost $24-) and (ii) The New Dwarf Project seeds I planted 6 days back to actually germinate and without any fungus growing on them; and (iii) to build up some InnTainers per to be announced instructions from Raybo.

BTW, anyone know the best way to combat that furry fungus? that can sometimes grows on young seedlings, destroying them? I have some copper based spray, but I'm not sure if it's wise to spray on a tray of young seedlings or not yet emerged pre-germinated seeds. I'm using ProMix FPG for my starting medium. I started by covering the tray with saran wrap but have since removed the wrap because the first seedling to emerge had white fur all over its stalk and seed.
Old September 13, 2011   #24
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

ZWD, have you tried peroxide? If you find you are prone to damping off (fungus) you can mix a capful of regular old hydrogen peroxide with a quart of water for watering them. I find that I start with moist soil, and cover them....water sparingly. If there is dryness I water, otherwise, I keep them more on the dry side than damp side. That is the only way I can avoid it. Then as SOON as I see anything happening I take off the saran wrap or plastic cover and thats it. Also, if you use saran wrap, make sure it isn't covered tightly, just lightly cover it so air can get through. Once seedlings emerge, keep good air circulation. Mine for the winter project were on my screened in porch with the ceiling fan going so they look good so far. I took some photos but cannot for the life of me find the cord to connect to the computer, so I will share them once I do . My seedling mix was from Fox Farms and I added vermiculite to the mix to make it really light and airy, with a little bit of peat for moisture retention. I don't measure, just mix and see how it looks. (the way I cook!)... I keep watering very light, and make sure I don't wet the seedlings. Over the years this method has worked well for me, and trust me, it's only because I killed SO MANY in the past!

Mike those shelves sound good, but what do you do if the plants need to grow higher? Can you remove a shelf if needed?
Old September 14, 2011   #25
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post

BTW, anyone know the best way to combat that furry fungus? that can sometimes grows on young seedlings, destroying them?
Chamomile tea spray works too. Both the tea and the peroxide are anti-fungals.

Cheers
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #26
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
ZWD, have you tried peroxide? If you find you are prone to damping off (fungus) you can mix a capful of regular old hydrogen peroxide with a quart of water for watering them. I find that I start with moist soil, and cover them....water sparingly. If there is dryness I water, otherwise, I keep them more on the dry side than damp side. That is the only way I can avoid it. Then as SOON as I see anything happening I take off the saran wrap or plastic cover and thats it. Also, if you use saran wrap, make sure it isn't covered tightly, just lightly cover it so air can get through. Once seedlings emerge, keep good air circulation. Mine for the winter project were on my screened in porch with the ceiling fan going so they look good so far. I took some photos but cannot for the life of me find the cord to connect to the computer, so I will share them once I do . My seedling mix was from Fox Farms and I added vermiculite to the mix to make it really light and airy, with a little bit of peat for moisture retention. I don't measure, just mix and see how it looks. (the way I cook!)... I keep watering very light, and make sure I don't wet the seedlings. Over the years this method has worked well for me, and trust me, it's only because I killed SO MANY in the past!

Mike those shelves sound good, but what do you do if the plants need to grow higher? Can you remove a shelf if needed?

Yes the shelves are adjustable. Of course as with most things these days, it was probably designed by some clever Chinese which requires three arms and hands and a couple extra legs. After a few choice 4 letter words you can assemble and adjust these marvels of oriental engineering. I have about 18" between the top three shelves which gives me plenty of room for seedlings, by the time they get 12" or more I move them away. However I'll have to come up with something else if I try to grow tomatoes through the winter. I don't have a heated greenhouse, and my Frau frowns on making a mess in the house, so I'm watching the posts of others to see how they are doing.
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #27
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Ha! I'm the only adult in my household so I can make all the rules and all the mess I want to

My neighbor told me last night he was growing peppers and basil in his southern exposure window all winter long that he brought in from outdoors. He did not have a grow light at all, and while production wasn't huge, he said he was pretty impressed. So I will have faith that no matter what type of lighting I have, using that southern exposure to my advantage once the leaves fall off the trees, and once the sun is lower in the sky will be a good thing.

I put a few seedlings in pots and noticed indoors they are drying out pretty quickly (need watering every 2 days) and the heat isn't on yet. I'm going to attempt to make one of Raybos indoor self watering containers for some plants ...the larger ones that are indeterminate for sure as they'll use a lot of water and space.
Old September 14, 2011   #28
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I too have been growing or trying to grow inside. Many nice comments here.
My comment is as much light as you can get. I have used CFL if you can find the bigger ones. I make my own reflector from air duct tube and socket.
I just wanted to warn you that if you have grow lights going, sooner or later you are going to have a knock on the door and the nice men will say "can I come in?" then "what are you growing?", Don't get excited--it happen quite often and no problem as long as you are not growing the wrong stuff. A red LED unit will really attract them. Been there.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #29
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Nicky, Me Lady,

Thanks for the suggestions for handling the fungus. I'll add a little of one or the other to my spray bottle for next application. I now have 2 of 6 seeds pushing up skyward. Interestingly, those two seeds are the closest to where the lights shines down through the nearby window, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before the other 4 peek through. Patience.
-naysen
Old September 14, 2011   #30
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Nicky, Me Lady,

Thanks for the suggestions for handling the fungus. I'll add a little of one or the other to my spray bottle for next application. I now have 2 of 6 seeds pushing up skyward. Interestingly, those two seeds are the closest to where the lights shines down through the nearby window, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before the other 4 peek through. Patience.
-naysen
Oh yeah, patience! I have none. I'm one of those who peeks under the plastic more than once a day to see if any babies have popped through the soil! As if checking them will make them grow faster ... then impatiently waiting for those first true leaves, then the second set....then I don't check so often because by then they are usually good to go and on their way!