Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 22, 2016   #2191
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Containers and I think I may have borrowed old soil from last year's patio picker system and/or my 5:1:1 mix I saved since it's not really "soil". Also it was limited in two cases to terra cotta pots I had used before and perhaps didn't properly disinfect?

I was confused, too about it being soil born since I thought I was being safe but maybe it can be spread from improperly sterilized pots or growing containers?

I started using EBs this year and am beyond impressed. But then I worry if you reuse soil from year to year how it doesn't prevent this type of thing going forward. Do you guys solarize them?
AudreyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #2192
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

And thanks for the gnatrol tip. The yellow sticky traps set high and also right on top of soil are helping. Have also stopped thrips, I think in large part to putting aluminum foil down for mulch in the pots.
Old November 22, 2016   #2193
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of some of the stems after cutting them off.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #2194
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

I removed the branches and cut as close to stem as possible except if it was a 3rd or 4th stem and was bad, then I just removed the whole thing.
Old November 22, 2016   #2195
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Not sure how to post pics, it's asking for URL
Old November 22, 2016   #2196
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

Here is a picture of some of the stems after cutting them off.

Ginny
Ginny,for sure it is not Fusarium. That is great news. I think you have a plain old foliar fungus. Nothing systemic, your stems are totally healthy. I know u out don't do pray anymore, but I would hit email with a very diluted copper spray.

Also, that close up shows Greenpoint and yellow around them, that's magnesium deficiency. Are you giving a teaspoon of Epsom salt(pure Epsom, beware of the ones that have essential oils added) down the EB tube every time you give a teaspoon of Calcinit?

Lastly, that leaf on the right looks like it got a bit of fertilizer burn..When the edges get that brown crispness( without the concentric rings and bright yellow halo- early blight).
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #2197
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyFL View Post
Containers and I think I may have borrowed old soil from last year's patio picker system and/or my 5:1:1 mix I saved since it's not really "soil". Also it was limited in two cases to terra cotta pots I had used before and perhaps didn't properly disinfect?

I was confused, too about it being soil born since I thought I was being safe but maybe it can be spread from improperly sterilized pots or growing containers?

I started using EBs this year and am beyond impressed. But then I worry if you reuse soil from year to year how it doesn't prevent this type of thing going forward. Do you guys solarize them?
I solarizing every year, and when done solarizing, dig out the old fertilizer strip, add a cup of dolomite and mix, then add a new fertilizer strip, and top off with new mix.
Old November 22, 2016   #2198
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyFL View Post
I had this on several plants this year, mostly dwarfs and micro dwarfs. Mine started like that, went darker yellow, infected the closest leaves, always starting at stem and then moving out. I just trimmed he bad branches off asap to try to stop it, and has worked well. I did google it and will look in my notes. It was (I think) a type of wilt that is characterized by yellowing of single branches typically on one side of plant.

Best weather this year but I have been guns blazing here in Jupiter with the worst flying aphids, whitefly, hornworms, even army worms and fungus gnats! Stupid mistake of buying MiracleGro potting mix (NOT moisture control!) again this year. I forgot how much the gnats love that stuff!
I've gardened in the same location for years and had seen 1 tomato horn worm, that is until this season. I saw quite a few horn worms this season and they ate parts of quite a few tomatoes. We seemed to have picked most of them off and then what I think was a Tomato Fruit Worms showed up in numbers. We picked a bunch off and I dusted with some Dipel Dust and that seemed to help quite a bit but there are still a few small green worms which I think when mature will look like the Fruit Worm. I have some Neem Oil and I hope to spray that on in a few days.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #2199
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny,for sure it is not Fusarium. That is great news. I think you have a plain old foliar fungus. Nothing systemic, your stems are totally healthy. I know u out don't do pray anymore, but I would hit email with a very diluted copper spray.

Also, that close up shows Greenpoint and yellow around them, that's magnesium deficiency. Are you giving a teaspoon of Epsom salt(pure Epsom, beware of the ones that have essential oils added) down the EB tube every time you give a teaspoon of Calcinit?

Lastly, that leaf on the right looks like it got a bit of fertilizer burn..When the edges get that brown crispness( without the concentric rings and bright yellow halo- early blight).
Oh yay, no Fusarium! I havent supplemented with calcinit this season. I did everything different this time... no fert strip and only TTF all the time. Should I supplement with Calcinit and epsom?

Ginny
Old November 22, 2016   #2200
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I've gardened in the same location for years and had seen 1 tomato horn worm, that is until this season. I saw quite a few horn worms this season and they ate parts of quite a few tomatoes. We seemed to have picked most of them off and then what I think was a Tomato Fruit Worms showed up in numbers. We picked a bunch off and I dusted with some Dipel Dust and that seemed to help quite a bit but there are still a few small green worms which I think when mature will look like the Fruit Worm. I have some Neem Oil and I hope to spray that on in a few days.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Larry
Dipel is a way better solution than Neem for all caterpillars, Larry. Neem is an antifungal and antibacterial, but not very anti caterpillar, while Dipel or Thurcide are specifically for safely (for us) killing the caterpillars.
Old November 23, 2016   #2201
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay,

Indigo Cherry Drop is so cool. It is loading up with the prettiest tomatoes... :-) Thank you again!

How are your plants doing?

Ginny
Old November 23, 2016   #2202
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am glad they are doing so well for you. It is such a pretty tomato and very prolific. I am growing another plant from the same breeder called Indigo Rose. The tomatoes are about the size of a golf ball. The inside is a pretty rose color. I should taken a picture of it sliced but I was too busy tasting the only two that have ripened to take a picture. It is a heavy producer and of course I am saving seeds. Most of my plants are doing well except I did have some early blight that got some of the plants during the hurricane. Fortunately it only was on 3 plants that were not close to the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161116_155626.jpg (264.6 KB, 46 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #2203
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

How did you like the taste of Indigo Rose? I grew it in 2014 and didnt like the taste too much or it or Indigo Blue Berries. But maybe I didnt let them ripen enough. That plant sure is pretty in uour picture.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2016   #2204
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Florida gals are shining with gorgeous mater pics!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #2205
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Haha, thanks Jimbo!! Hopefully the weather will hold out until they ripen.. :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk