Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 2, 2017   #121
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link to recipes Shrinkrap
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #122
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Fava Sprouted

I had good luck with the germination, despite having done everything that you aren't supposed to do.

First I soaked the beans in water for 2 full days, maybe a bit more.
I planted half in Wonder Soil and half in Miracle Grow.

Then I put them on the heat mat for 2 days at 85 degrees with my peppers.

The weather was mild so I them them outside and left them overnight twice even though it was close to 32 degrees.

I had a spot under the grow light so I left them there for 24 hours with a tray of broccoli while the other seedlings went to bed.

All I saw was a tiny bit of growth, but in the past few days they sprung up. Now they are leafing out.

I may go ahead and plant 3 or 4 in a raised bed out back. I can cover it with a bucket if we get snow next week. I have no idea what to do from here ... They look so nice I don't want to mess those green babies up!

I forgot to add that I planted some flat and some on their side, as I later read sideways an inch below the surface was the proper technique. I don't see how it made a difference. One has a root coming out the bottom already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fava beans.jpg (132.5 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; March 14, 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added planting info
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #123
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

How are you favas doing now, Lisa?

I found a bag of huge fava dry beans in a grocery store ( Canadian Superstore), a 2-pound bag for about $5. The beans are at least 1" long, tan colored. They are labelled as "large fava beans", from Australia. The long dark marking on middle of the their sides make them look like mini hamburgers.
I soaked some then rinsed them daily, and most of them sprouted nicely in 3-5 days. I planted 40 of the best ones in the garden yesterday. No idea if they will make it here. We don't have hot summers. I will plant more in the fall if they do well.
I've never had any fresh favas in my life, we usually have mature beans for snacks, deep fried and salted, like with peanuts.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; April 10, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #124
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Mini hamburgers, funny, well I know what you mean, they are weird looking. What is your ground and day/night temps like? Good to know 2lbs is $5 and they sprouted. My seed package was more like a dollar an ounce, and you get the benefit of eating them right away. Are you going to try the remaining beans you bought at the grocery fried? I've never done that.

Well...back to me. I finally planted half of them yesterday. They are about a foot tall in their little peat pots. I bet in the ground they would be three feet by now. I just didn't have the bed weeded yet.

We are in for a frost tonight, with decent weather after that. The rest will go in tomorrow. I wonder how much cold they can take. I'll know very soon.

- Lisa
Old April 19, 2017   #125
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

After reading this thread, now I want to try growing favas and I can't find seed. I think I will try our local health food co-op store. They sell all kinds of grains and legumes. The pics of your plants are pretty. I had no idea.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #126
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
After reading this thread, now I want to try growing favas and I can't find seed.
If all else fails http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=3725
I just planted mine directly in the garden a couple weeks ago with no soaking etc, Have good germination & they are about 4" high. I'm in central IL so it is still mostly cool weather.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #127
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcool61 View Post
If all else fails http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=3725
I just planted mine directly in the garden a couple weeks ago with no soaking etc, Have good germination & they are about 4" high. I'm in central IL so it is still mostly cool weather.
Wow. That's amazingly fast.

I'm trying 2 kinds this spring:
- Aquadulce
- Grana Violetto Extra Precoce

Both are supposed to be early, but I soaked them and started them sprouting before I put them in the ground, and it still took weeks for them to break the surface. The Aquadulce are about 5" high right now and the Grana Violetto are about a week behind them, even though they were sown a week earlier than the Aquadulce.

They've been in the ground about a month, so maybe this just goes to show that planting when it's really cold isn't really much of a time-saver.

Almost every single one came up, though, so they do survive colder temps well. I think the ones that didn't come up were actually taken by critters, as there's a lot of digging activity in that area.

I'm impressed by how strong the plants are. They really bust through the soil on the way up. In the spots with more clay-heavy soils, sometimes they push up a big "plate" of soil as they try to get through to the surface.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #128
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I planted some Grano Violetto Extra Precoce in the ground about 3 weeks ago. We were due to have rain for three days, so I didn't soak them first for fear that they would rot. I planted peas on the same day. The peas are just poking through, but no sign of the fava's yet.

I think you have a good point about planting in the cold Gorbelly!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #129
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Linda, mine took a while to come up and I started thinking there was something wrong. Then all of a sudden, they were all popping up. Once they come up, they grow really fast. Grana Violetto is less vigorous and slower than Aquadulce. These are the only 2 varieties I have experience with, as this is my first time trying to grow favas, so I can't really comment on how they compare to favas in general.
Old April 23, 2017   #130
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I finally planted some this year and they've been doing great! I planted in about Nov-Dec. they handled some freezes without any issue. The two smaller varieties,aquadukce and something I don't remember are setting beans but the Windsor doesn't seem to have many,yet.
Pretty plants and also seem to be a good use of space in winter since they improve it. I also interplanted oats with them.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #131
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I finally planted some this year and they've been doing great! I planted in about Nov-Dec. they handled some freezes without any issue. The two smaller varieties,aquadukce and something I don't remember are setting beans but the Windsor doesn't seem to have many,yet.
Pretty plants and also seem to be a good use of space in winter since they improve it. I also interplanted oats with them.
I think this year, I'll try fall planting them and overwintering them. I don't think mine will produce pods in time this year, as I need that space later for summer crops.

My aquadulce:

Old April 23, 2017   #132
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Apparently they can be grown as micro greens. Some guy in UK posted a useful photo of growing a bowlful of fava shoots, to be used in salads. I heard they do well as stirfries too.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #133
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Apparently they can be grown as micro greens. Some guy in UK posted a useful photo of growing a bowlful of fava shoots, to be used in salads. I heard they do well as stirfries too.
You can eat the leaves and the tender tops off of full grown plants, too.

Pea shoots are great, too. As I till in the winter cover I planted last fall, I pick the tips of the winter peas and eat them as stir fry. Delicious.

However, I'd really also like to have the beans.
Old April 23, 2017   #134
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Ok. Now you've really convinced me. I HAVE TO grow them.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #135
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Are those toilet paper rolls for sowing or to protect from some sort of critter? I do hope you get beans this year. Mine were planted just a few weeks earlier and they're only a few inches bigger. We had some warm weather and the soil temp is 56 degrees. It will no doubt go down to 50 again as its going to be cold thru next week. Aren't they a cool season crop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
I think this year, I'll try fall planting them and overwintering them. I don't think mine will produce pods in time this year, as I need that space later for summer crops.

My aquadulce: