Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 26, 2014   #16
viewsaskew
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I've seen a debate in forums for several years over container growing and organic methods. Because soil works differently in containers, there is a growing contingent who believe you should not use organic materials, including ferts. The goal is very different, according to them, because of the perched water table and because you don't want to break down the soil mix - which organic things do. You turn it into a veritable pudding if you do.

I have to admit, coming from organic in-ground gardening for many years, I had a hard time with these concepts. I have tried them for the last few years and found them to be superior - at least in my set up. I use several types of containers, including some SWC.

There is a robust thread at GardenWeb - with detractors and supporters - that helps provide some background and explains the science behind the concepts.
viewsaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I grow in Earthboxes. Manures of all types are not advised as they work against the necessary wicking action of the growing media and ultimately turn it to muck, defeating the system.
Against the advice of many, I added about 10% composted cow manure to my homemade Earthbox. The soil was still sufficiently loose and I got a fantastic crop.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #18
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
In the Book Nature Farming and Microbial Applications a test was performed measuring sugars and organic acids in ripe tomato fruit from different fertilization treatments to include Chicken Manure, Organic (Bokashi) and chemical fertilizer. The chicken manure crop had the highest sugar content and the chemical fertilizer had the lowest amount of sugar content.

Ami
Well, the high sugar probably makes for a tastier tomato, but, as a diabetic, that isn't the best news lol! I'm using chemical fertilizer so I guess I'll have more diabetic friendly tomatoes.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #19
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Against the advice of many, I added about 10% composted cow manure to my homemade Earthbox. The soil was still sufficiently loose and I got a fantastic crop.
As do many others. But your growing media will break down quicker when you add organic materials to the mix. I used to add stuff too. Someone posted he put whole fish in his EBs! Once I better understood the method behind EBs and SWC, I decided to use only sterile mix but that is the beauty of gardening as we all get to do our own thing. Personally, I can't afford to be changing out the mix in my boxes any more often than needed.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Last year I used some dried chicken manure product as part of reconditioning my tomato container soils - before I read all the advice not to do that. I didn't use too much I guess, I had no problems and a good crop. I think my plants were healthier overall this past year because I fertilized more.

I am not using the earthbox concept, just old fish tubs. I am really stuck on organic growing though as I've never done otherwise and no motive to change that. I add about 1/3 new material to the soil each year, mostly fresh compost and kelp, not seeing anything turning to muck at this point after three years with the same 'reconditioned' soil.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #21
viewsaskew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
As do many others. But your growing media will break down quicker when you add organic materials to the mix. I used to add stuff too. Someone posted he put whole fish in his EBs! Once I better understood the method behind EBs and SWC, I decided to use only sterile mix but that is the beauty of gardening as we all get to do our own thing. Personally, I can't afford to be changing out the mix in my boxes any more often than needed.
That is, indeed, the issue. If you change your mix every season, organic is OK. But, if you want to reuse it at least a couple or more, it just doesn't work well - it's designed to break things down.

But, even in one season, I was shocked at just how much the peat had turned to a soup that looked as if no gas exchange could take place. If my crops were significantly larger, better, sweeter, more productive - then I might say OK. But, it's not, at least in my experience. So, I save money and get very good tomatoes - win-win.
viewsaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #22
Growing Giants
Tomatovillian™

Default Chi9cken Manure burns

I built a raised bed for a friend of mine who could no longer garden because he could not bend anymore. His son and others had chicken manure and he asked his son for a load of composted manure. Then he heavily watered and what happened was that the chicken litter water came out the bottom of the raised bed and killed the grass for 3 feet out in every direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T Box single.jpg (4.4 KB, 69 views)
Growing Giants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #23
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

I've been composting the chicken manure/straw /hay mix.
I'm not using it on tomatoes this year. I'm chicken
But I will be adding it to the garden for giant pumpkins.
I am using Rabbit manure on the tomatoes and soil amendments and some Pumpkin Power 9-3-4.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #24
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Timng and placement of chicken manre

We keep a backyard flock and every spring we clean out the manure and mixed manure-bedding. When I was flat gardening I spread the four contractor wheel barrow loads of fresh "stuff" on half the "rows" in my 30x40 plot and tilled it into my sandy loam (top 8 inches) in early March. In late March and early April, I planted and had very nice crops. You pumpkins should be pleased....

Now that I have gone to raised beds I won't use it straight like that. I use the chicken manure and bedding as part of my spring cleanup compost bin. That bin gets all the leaves pulled from the flower beds in early March. I then add that compost on top of my beds in late summer for fall plantings.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #25
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

thanks rebel

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote