Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 24, 2007   #1
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Default I think I've messed up ...

I used a mixture of 40lbs each organic compost and potting soil, 8 qts each of perlite and sphagnum and about 2 cups of 5-6-5 fertilizer. It's my first time and from what I understand i used a bad formula. Is there anything i can add to make this any better? I'm using 2 GS self watering planters.

Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #2
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

I'm only in my second year of growing in self-watering containers. I think I'm using the same ones you are:

Some others may be able to tell you more about your soil mix, but I've always read that with these you need to use a soilless potting mix, and that you don't want to use a potting soil. Hopefully others may be able to tell you if your material will be o.k. or if you can do anything with it to help it.

On mine I use Pro-Mix from Home Depot (I think it's peat, perlite, and vermiculite) I mix 1 cup of Tomato Tone and 1 cup of lime into the soil and top-dress with a strip of fertilizer (2 cups) on top of the mix (Under the plastic). It's basically the method suggested by the "Real" Earthbox people. I don't know if this is ideal but it seems to be working o.k.
RDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #3
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking plants there!, Yeah I'm using the same boxes as you. I'm wondering if I need to pull the plants and start over since I just planted them 4-5 days ago or just live with what I have and hope for the best?
Old May 24, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Potting soil is fine. Using nearly 50% compost on the other hand sounds like it will make the soil very "heavy" and not drain well.

Some people say not to use any compost or sand because it will make the soil too heavy. Some people say to use 20% compost and 20% sand. I've never heard anyone say 40-50% compost though.

In your shoes, I would probably pull the plants and "thin out" the soil with more potting mix, straight peat moss, or shredded pine bark, and then replant.

2 cups of 5-6-5 is fine or a little low for the quantity of soil you have described.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #5
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Well Feldon I took your advice and pulled the plants. I took out all the soil and mixed it with a bag of aged fine bark fines and about 1/2 as much potting mix. I also added a bit more perlite and more 5-6-5 as you mentioned. It made enough that i also used it on some green peppers, cucumbers and one of those sweet 100's as well as my original 4. How can you pass up one that supposedly makes so many? Next year I will begin all of this a bit earlier and will try a few of those tasty tomatoes you mentioned in my other post.
Old May 25, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I really hope you have a fantastic year as a first good year will give you the "gardening bug" which you will never shake.

Last spring was very productive for me, but not necessarily the varieties I wanted. I've learned a lot in a year and a half. Imagine what I'll learn in 5.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote