Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16, 2017   #1
anthocyanic
Tomatovillian™

Default First Time Growing Hot Peppers

Howdy!

This year I decided to try my hand at growing some hot peppers. We've grown excellent sweet peppers every year, so I figured why not! Ordered up some long thin cayenne, Caribbean Red habanero, Carolina Reapers, and a new heatless habanero called a habanada. We potted on all our peppers, sweet and hot, several weeks ago. We ended up overwatering all the peppers a bit and got some yellow new leaves. We've let them dry up a lot since then and have only watered them when they are bone dry. All the sweet peppers, and all the cayenne peppers greened up very nicely quickly when we changed our watering habits. The habaneros are starting to come around, too. The habanada and Reapers, however, not so much. They are so dinky and pale yellow. Slightly greener than before but not much. They've all been fertilized with espoma garden tone, epsom salt, crushed egg shell, green sand, compost, and some of our luscious organic soil from the garden. This mix performed admirably for the sweet peppers and all our tomatoes. Just these two are giving me fits. (Ironically, the world's hottest pepper and the world's least-hot hot pepper )

Any ideas what they need to be happy?
anthocyanic is offline   Reply With Quote